PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Larger Maple Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2007, 5:01 PM
Just buffed out this bowl today and decided to try out my new photo tent and backdrop. Man – have I got a lot to learn! Believe it or not I took close to 50 photos and wasn’t real happy with any of them! Played with exposure settings, shutter speeds, apertures, etc and either my camera doesn’t understand that I just want a simple picture of a bowl or I really don’t know what I am doing! :rolleyes:

Maple bowl, 10 ½” x 3 ½”. Most of the bowl is close to 3/8” thick except for the rim which is slightly flared out to 1/2”. Finish is 3 coats of Antique Oil and then buffed.
76012 76013
Any and all comments are appreciated – specially with regards to my photography!

Thanks for looking!

Mike Vickery
11-27-2007, 5:03 PM
Nice looking piece Steve. I am with you on the photo's I have tried more things then I care to admit and still can't take a decent picture. If it helps your picture looks better then mine do.

Greg Just
11-27-2007, 5:07 PM
Very nice looking bowl - that will hold a lot of popcorn!

WRT the camera - the nice thing about the digital world is that it doesn't cost a lot to take 50 pictures for one good one. My brother is a professional photographer and he takes thousands of pictures and only saves a few.

Julie Tanner
11-27-2007, 5:30 PM
Very nice looking bowl. I really love the rim on it, nice design

Curt Fuller
11-27-2007, 6:13 PM
Ok Steve, either you've been sandbagging on the turning or the photography or maybe even both, because that bowl is about a nice as they get and the picture of it makes it look like it's floating in air. That's a fantastic bowl and I can't imagine how that photograph could be much better. Did I say that's a beautiful bowl?

John Hart
11-27-2007, 6:19 PM
What Curt said. ;):)

Pete Jordan
11-27-2007, 7:16 PM
Another excellent job!

Great grain!

Mike A. Smith
11-27-2007, 8:16 PM
Ditto everyone's comments on the bowl and I think the pics are pretty good too!

robert hainstock
11-27-2007, 8:28 PM
So thats what you do on a snowy day. Well worth it Steve. Nobody ahead of you no more. Did you see my shed roof in yor back yard?:(
Bob

Kevin McPeek
11-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Great piece, and the photo looks good too. I think the background works well. Good job on both fronts.

Tom Sherman
11-28-2007, 9:51 AM
Way to go Steve can't seem to find anything to complain about. lookin good.

Ed Scolforo
11-28-2007, 2:55 PM
Steve, you score a ten on both points.

Ed Scolforo
11-28-2007, 2:57 PM
Steve, excellent job on both points.

Dan Forman
11-28-2007, 4:27 PM
Steve---That's a lovely bowl, and what specifically are you unhappy with regarding the photo?

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2007, 5:09 PM
Dan - I didn't care for the color that much. It's real close but not perfect. Biggest thing I didn't like about the photos was the compression. I've since been advised how to increase photo viewing sizes by compressing slightly less. You should notice a difference in photo size on the HF #6 that I posted today.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Steve that is a beautiful bowl. Well done.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-01-2007, 8:39 AM
Steve---

Great work, both on piece and on photography.

You said you were using a photo tent and backdrop. Quick question: Are you using an external flash setup, on-camera flash, or natural and/or artificial continuous lighting? All these factors make a difference. When it comes to doing any type of portrait and/or product work, I do my best to eschew or supplement the on-camera flash.

And as for the number of images you take---you're using digital, so just keep shooting! I remember when I was in HS on the school newspaper photography staff, I was assigned to the state wrestling finals. I sat matside with an 80--280 zoom, firing off frame after frame of (expensive) 400-speed B&W film. After developing and contact printing the 5 or 6 36-exposure rolls I had shot, I finally came out with one keeper.

Keep up the good work!