PDA

View Full Version : Padauk project whine...

Bill White
11-27-2007, 3:20 PM
Man, I love the way this stuff will look when finished, but what a MESS while you're workin' on it. My dust collector is red, my OS sander is red, my pants are red, my head (w/o hair) is red.
Oh well.....
Bill

Gary Keedwell
11-27-2007, 3:39 PM
Man, I love the way this stuff will look when finished, but what a MESS while you're workin' on it. My dust collector is red, my OS sander is red, my pants are red, my head (w/o hair) is red.
Oh well.....
Bill
I can relate to that. I went from working with bloodwood to purple heart.:o:) Jusr when I think I vacuumed it all, I'll see some red dust again, and again.......
Gary

Bob Noles
11-27-2007, 3:53 PM
I call it my fair weather wood :rolleyes:

Only fit to work on in fair weather outdoors;)

Danny Thompson
11-27-2007, 4:18 PM
I had a similar experience this summer, on my first Padauk project. Just like you, I found everthing in my shop, including me, had turned red. I finished the project, vacuumed up the dust, and moved on to my next one. Then a funny thing happened . . .

Back in gradeschool my classmates and I were forced to sit through an educational film titled "What If Saliva Were Red?" It showed all these kids with red-filled mouths, and nasty red saliva all over their hands, faces, and clothes; and it showed them unconsciously smearing red goo on their books, desks, and each other. It was truly disgusting. The obvious point was that saliva carries germs and just because you don't notice it, doesn't mean its not there; be more aware, wash your hands, etc.

So, I was working along on a Maple/Birch project, this disturbing "Red Saliva" image forever bouncing around in my skull all these years, and CLICK, I noticed that my entire shop was covered in sawdust, and I was too. It was the same as the Padauk dust, except it was close enough to the color of my workbench, my lumber rack, to normal dust, and to me, that I had never before noticed how thick it was. It was just the same!

That very day I placed an order for a woodworking respirator and have worn it religiously, ever since.

Good luck with your project. Cabinets?

Brian Kent
11-27-2007, 5:28 PM
Last Christmas season I used a lot of strong color woods - Paduak, Purpleheart, Bloodwood, Walnut, Maple, Rosewood and Ebony - to make boxes.

My clear dust collector bag was beautiful, with geological layers like sandstone in the painted desert.

Glad it was in the bag and not (mostly) in my lungs and nose-hairs!

Steve knight
11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
it is really hard for most systems to capture padouk dust. it is about the 3rd worst finest sawdust making wood out there. I have a very good setup because I pretty much work only with tropicals and it was a battle to collect it. every clear thing is stained red permentley no see through hoses anymore (G) even on the planer.
ipe is even worse and bloodwood more so though I have never cut enough to make much dust at once.

Steve Sawyer
11-28-2007, 4:22 PM
it is really hard for most systems to capture padouk dust. it is about the 3rd worst finest sawdust making wood out there.

That's encouraging. I made a couple of planes out of padauk earlier this year, and yeah, I had fine red dust in the DC hoses, and a bit on top of the drill press and band saw and table saw - but that was it. Even though I used a sanding drum mounted in the DP, I had a DC hose connected under the DP table.

Darn DC must be working pretty good! (Delta 1hp portable with a Wynn filter cartridge). :)

Steve knight
11-29-2007, 1:34 AM
That's encouraging. I made a couple of planes out of padauk earlier this year, and yeah, I had fine red dust in the DC hoses, and a bit on top of the drill press and band saw and table saw - but that was it. Even though I used a sanding drum mounted in the DP, I had a DC hose connected under the DP table.

Darn DC must be working pretty good! (Delta 1hp portable with a Wynn filter cartridge). :)
you have a a small dc. when I went from my 2hp metal clearview to a 3hp clearview everything I turned it on padouk and ipe sawdust would fly out of the cartridge filters. I had a choice of using more filters or going with giant bags. got the bags as they are easier to clean.

Steve Sawyer
11-29-2007, 9:36 AM
when I went from my 2hp metal clearview to a 3hp clearview everything I turned it on padouk and ipe sawdust would fly out of the cartridge filters.

I have a 2hp HF DC in the garage that will get unpacked and installed sometime in the next month or so (fingers crossed) and will "inherit" the .5 micron cartridge that I currently have on the Delta. Considering that this cartridge is marketed specifically at the 2hp and similar sized units, I'm hoping that I won't have your experience.

Danny Thompson
11-29-2007, 9:47 AM
Steve Sawyer,

I've been considering making a plane from my leftover Padauk. Have you had any problems with your Padauk plane staining other wood?

Steve knight
11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
yes padouk will stain maple really well. I have not really used it with much else on a plane.
my problem with fine dust is on the extreme end really. I use lots of ipe and padouk and such and that was about 99% of what I did. I would get 1 to 2 cups of super fine dust past the cyclone in a month. it was less when I had the 2hp setup. I think it is just because the dust is so fine that the cyclone can't spin it out. I find if I don't beat on my bags I don't get any dust past anymore.

Steve Sawyer
11-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I've been considering making a plane from my leftover Padauk. Have you had any problems with your Padauk plane staining other wood?

No, but I cheated - I made a sole out of lignum vitae.

However, I don't think that it will be a problem, particularly if you wax the sole. Some of the other folks in our WW club have made planes entirely of padauk. here's how mine came out:

http://www.stephensawyer.com/images/woodworking/ForePlane_1.jpg

http://www.stephensawyer.com/images/woodworking/ForePlane_2.jpg

Danny Thompson
11-29-2007, 1:28 PM
Apologies to the OP, but Steve, that is pure sweetness. 8/4 or thicker? Where did you get your hardware?

Steve Sawyer
11-29-2007, 3:25 PM
Apologies to the OP, but Steve, that is pure sweetness. 8/4 or thicker? Where did you get your hardware?

Original plank was about 10/4.

Our WW club has both a machinist and a guy who teaches Krenov-style wooden plane construction amongst the membership. They usually organize a group buy of 1/4" thick O1 tool steel plane irons hardened to about RC62 once a year.

I've also made two others (a 22" jointer and an 8" scraper) out of two 3' planks of dimensioned 1 x 6 purpleheart from the local Woodcraft.

Mark Stutz
11-29-2007, 3:33 PM
If you finish with one of Steve's planes instead of the ROS you won't have to deal with dust...just nice orange shavings:D:cool:(running and ducking) OK, I'll go back downstairs now.

Mark

Steve knight
11-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I have never seen padouk stain unless it is sanded. got to watch using LV the stuff does not glue very well at all and it does not move like other woods do.

Steve Sawyer
11-30-2007, 2:28 PM
got to watch using LV the stuff does not glue very well at all and it does not move like other woods do.

Yeah - it's very oily. I exercised great care with that sole. I thoroughly cleaned both the LV and padauk with acetone, then used Gorilla glue and clamped for 24 hours.

It's been almost a year now, and so far, so good...

Danny Thompson
11-30-2007, 3:19 PM
1x6 purpleheart? laminated to 3" thick?

Steve Sawyer
11-30-2007, 3:46 PM
1x6 purpleheart? laminated to 3" thick?

Yup. I ended up with a billet 3" x 3" x 36" from 'bout $20 worth of lumber (would have been closer to $30, but it was on sale).

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-30-2007, 7:13 PM
Well if it's any consolation Mahogany makes you smell like dirty baby diapers.

Steve knight
11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah - it's very oily. I exercised great care with that sole. I thoroughly cleaned both the LV and padauk with acetone, then used Gorilla glue and clamped for 24 hours.

It's been almost a year now, and so far, so good...
acetone actually makes a weaker joint when I tested with and without. freshly milling/sanding is the key and dampen both sides. but I tried titebond 3 and it is better for oily woods then gorlilla is now.

the best glue joint I did with lv was the PUR hot melt pol. the joint was stronger then the wood. but it was pretty impractical.

Danny Thompson
12-03-2007, 9:52 AM
So you laminated 1" thick pieces for your jointer and scraper?

Steve Sawyer
12-03-2007, 10:57 PM
So you laminated 1" thick pieces for your jointer and scraper?

No - it was dimensioned lumber, so it was 3/4" - four planks gave me a 3" thick billet.

Jake Helmboldt
12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Steve (Knight), I'm doing a deck in ipe and I was thinking of making a wooden plane from it, which would be my first attempt at a plane. What do you use ipe for (assuming in your planes) and do you have any tips?

JH

Steve knight
12-03-2007, 11:45 PM
let it dry. most ipe decking is still pretty wet. but it may take a few years to do so. but it is critical that the wood be fully acclimated to your shop or the sides will pop loose. don't ask me how I have learned this over the years (G) I use it for the sole or the whole plane. it makes a pretty massive and stable plane.
it only glues ok but I don't think I have had many that failed to glue it you want to fleshly mil/sand it and use titebond 3