PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 10 in. Band Saw opinions

Stan Welborn
11-27-2007, 3:12 PM
Looking for user opinions on the Craftsman 10 in. Band Saw 21400. I seem to remember reading the fence was junk, but I don't really care about the fence or resaw capibility. Only interested in it for curved work.

Thanks

Guy Germaine
11-27-2007, 5:10 PM
If it's the one that looks like Rikon, I have one. It works just fine on smaller stuff. The fence is not the best, but when I do use it, I just set it up using a square to make sure its square with the table and blade. I've also used ti to resaw some smaller stock, and it's worked well. I don't use mine as much now that I have a G0513, but I am getting ready to order a 1/8" Timberwolf blade for it and use it on some Intarsia projects.

Jim Heffner
11-29-2007, 9:09 AM
The craftsman 10in. saw is a good machine in my opinion...just somewhat
limited in cutting capacity and power,...not too good if you need to do a lot of bigger pieces of resawing. Most smaller pieces, and curved work
for a hobbyist/home shop work...it will do just fine. I have one and it is BIG upgrade over the cheap pos 8" blackened-pecker one that I inhereted
a few years ago. If I were doing it again (upgrade) would probably get a
14" model especially for the more powerful motor. Jim Heffner

Mike Wilkins
11-29-2007, 9:36 AM
I was looking hard at this machine when it was on sale. Waited too long making up my mind before the price went up.
I wound up getting the Rikon 10" machine which is very similar, although it does not have a fence. I just needed something for the small curvy stuff, and not have the task of changing blades on the big guy, Laguna LT18.
With is limited resaw capacity/power/throat size, it will not handle the big stuff, but is great as a compliment to a bigger machine.

nic obie
11-29-2007, 2:25 PM
I'm with Mike as it is a complement to my MM16. I put a 3/16" blade on it and it handles all of my small stuff just fine.

BTW The Sears saw cost less than the carbide blade did that I use on the MM saw.

Gord MacKenzie
11-29-2007, 3:16 PM
I just bought this saw two weeks ago for my birthday. It's a nice solid little band saw, which is what I was looking for. I don't resaw or work with big stuff, I just wanted somthing that would cut out the odd curve or pattern. So far I am very happy with this saw.