PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Mayo Lite or wait?

Dale Gregory
11-27-2007, 3:10 PM
With the current sale at Rockler on the Jet 16-42 2HP $1399 w/ free shipping I'm biting at the bit so to speak. I've reached for the plastic twice before I got cold feet. Go with the Mayo Lite or wait until the Laguna 18-47 comes out, or save another two years for the Mustard. Anyway enough rambling, my questions for all you Creekers is:

1. What is typically the average size bowl diameter you turn?
2. Is the 16" capacity too limiting?
3. How easy is it to do outboard turning with the jet and what is the max. size limit?

Dean Thomas
11-27-2007, 3:33 PM
So many questions come to mind.

How big are the trees in your area?
How well do you handle a 20" chain saw?
Is your back capable of lifting 16x? blanks over and over and over again? Larger if you turn outboard...
What is the bulk of your current turning? Or are you just HOPING to do larger stuff?
How many really large buckets of curls and dust will your shop hold?
How many drying blanks will your shop's shelves hold for months at a time while they dry?
How long do you really want to wait before you start turning?Heck I'm of the opinion that if you can do the Mayo, DO IT! If in a year or two you tire of little bitty 15" bowls and you have sequoias in the neighborhood, you will have been saving your bucks and selling your 15" bowls for good money and can move up to the BIG Mustard, the 4224 to make 23.5" bowls instead! And then you can wring your hands over whether or not to keep your Mayo as a secondary lathe for turning pens and other small projects. :rolleyes:

Just be sure to buy accessories that will transfer nicely. Chucks with changeable interfaces, not dedicated, one-size jobbies. All of your chisels will transfer between the two nicely. ;)

Reed Gray
11-27-2007, 3:38 PM
I seldom turn bowls over 15 inches. They seem to be more of a specialty market for people who entertain a lot, or have big families, and sit around a long time before they sell. I do have the PM3520. I want the Robust lathe, and will probably get one next year some time, not because of the bigger capacity, but for the added power, weight, and it is just more sturdy than the PM.
robo hippy

Mike Vickery
11-27-2007, 3:42 PM
The questions you are asking are going to differ quite a bit from turner to turner.

1. Most of my stuff is between 13 and 6 inches.
2. Not really 20 is nice but in a year of having a 20 inch lathe I have probably only had four bowl that would not have fit on a 16 inch lathe.
3. Not sure but I believe you need some kind of outboard tool rest to do it.

One thing to keep in mind is do you have access to wood over 16 inches?
Go and cut a 16 inch circle, you will be suprised how big a 16 inch bowl really is.

For the price the Jet 1642 is a smoking deal. Unless you have a real interest in huge bowls I would get it and not look back. Dont get me wrong I think the PM 3520 is a better machine, but I doubt it is $1,200 better.

Just my take, but what do I know I own a Woodfast ;-)

Gordon Seto
11-27-2007, 3:46 PM
It is not what others would do, it is what you like to do and enjoy.
Take a class at John C. Campbell or Arrowmont and test drive some of the best lathes and explore the direction you want to go.
If you think feeding the huge blanks seem like hard work and may hurt your back, then a VB-36 with 2½" diameter shaft, 36" capacity may not be the best choice.

In regard to your third question: If you have a sturdy free standing tool rest, theoretically, the center height of your spindle times two is your size limit.
On Powermatic, a bed and tool post extensions are available for you to do a larger diameter turnings at the end of the lathe:
http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=79
I don't know whether the head stock bearings on the lite Mayo would be strong enough to handle that long term.

Gordon

Raymond Overman
11-27-2007, 3:46 PM
Dale,

Realize you're comparing the 1642 with a reeves drive (8 speeds - 450 is the lowest) to a 3520B which has a variable speed controller. I'm not trying to deter you. Just making sure you understand the 3520B has a control advantage with the electronic motor control.

Gordon Seto
11-27-2007, 4:05 PM
Dale,

Realize you're comparing the 1642 with a reeves drive (8 speeds - 450 is the lowest) to a 3520B which has a variable speed controller.

The 1642 is EVS. I am afraid you are mixing the spec. with the 1442 which has a Reeves Drive.

Gordon

Raymond Overman
11-27-2007, 4:41 PM
The 1642 is EVS. I am afraid you are mixing the spec. with the 1442 which has a Reeves Drive.

Gordon

Interesting, the specs on the web site say it's a Reeves drive or else I would be pulling out my piggy bank.

From the page http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17111&filter=1642

JWL-1642 Lathe - 16" x 42" There isn't another lathe like this in its class. With a 14" swing and 42" between centers, it offers plenty of turning capacity. A Reeves variable speed drive lets you index between eight speeds, ranging from 450 RPM to 3,000 RPM. The headstock swivels 360 degrees, has positive stops at 45 and 90 degrees, and can be positioned anywhere along the bed ways for the most comfortable turning position. You can also index the spindle every 10 degrees for fluting and veining. Faceplates and chucks can be more readily removed by using the built-in spindle lock. You'd expect to pay big bucks for a package deal like this, but rest assured this lathe is priced right too.
Larger capacity
Eight speeds - from 450 to 3,000 RPM
4" ram travel on tailstock
Moveable head

Raymond Overman
11-27-2007, 4:56 PM
Well, that was interesting. I just got off the phone with Rockler's customer service and they can't verify whether it's a variable speed controller or a reeves drive. I agree that the picture looks like it's a controller and the more info section says that it's 0-3200 RPM with infinite spindle speeds but the overview section contradicts that.

They directed me to call Jet directly. I think I'll stick with my local guys that know what they're talking about and don't mind doing the footwork for me.

Mike Vickery
11-27-2007, 4:58 PM
it looks like they mixed the description with the 1442
http://www.southern-tool.com/store/jet_jwl-1442_lathe.html
Based on the above link haveing the exact same description for the 1442 I would guess it is a stock description provided by jet and they just got comfused. The 1642 is EVS not reeves drive. I looked very closely at it when I was in the market for a bigger lathe.

Tony Wheeler
11-27-2007, 5:06 PM
you can get the Laugana 18/47 now if you will accept the 33.5 mm spindle size they told me on Friday that If I wanted the 1 1/4 spindle that I would not receive it until proably the end of January if I put a depsoit down now would get the free chuck also. My self I couldnt wait and ordered the mustard monster yesterday ask for Jay

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2007, 5:16 PM
Dale - that is one heck of a sale! I got my 1642-2hp EVS a year ago and I got the best deal I could find on the web and it still cost me $1800! It's a great lathe - well worth serious consideration! Like already mentioned - if you pick this lathe up and get tired of it in a year or two - #1, you could always sell it and #2 you would have been turning for all that time!

Best of luck to you - be sure to let us know what you decide!

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 5:19 PM
$1400 for a 2hp 1642 is practically stealing it...

Gordon Seto
11-27-2007, 6:31 PM
If Rockler is trying to sell the Jet 1442 for over $1000, it is not a sale; it is a rip-off.

Gordon

Sal Kurban
11-27-2007, 6:37 PM
I have used a friend's 1642 EVS (not the EVS-2) and was happy with the size and capacity. I suppose the EVS-2 will be more juice. My friend paid for his about $1800 so I jumped on the $1399 deal and ordered one at Woodcraft yesterday as they matched the price (they had a gift card promo til yesterday). So I say it is worth it...

Dean Thomas
11-27-2007, 6:52 PM
Rockler has mixed up their description. Buy it QUICK and make sure that the receipt says 1642EVS-2 and pay for it immediately. Then accept shipment of the 1642 electronically variable (infinite speed control) with a 2 hp motor.

Make them honor their ad. :)

Dale Gregory
11-27-2007, 8:22 PM
Dean and others, I don't think Rockler means it's a 1442 on sale, as the 1442 goes for $899 new. The 1642 1.5hp 115v goes normally for $1499 and the 1642 2hp 230v normally goes for $1599. They are offering it at 13% off that price, $1399 plus free shipping. :D I'm in one of the States that has to pay tax.:mad: The ad is kind of screwed up as they also list the description of the 1442 when referring to the 1642's. The Jet dealer has the same description.

Thanks for all that have posted opinions and feedback. I'm a bit overwelmed and taking it all in. Several have asked, my max. bowl size to date is a 11" bowl on the Rikon Mini (rough turned green on a PM20 (mentor), finished on the Rikon). Most of the others have been in the 7-10" range. That said, I do have access to larger diameter pieces from time to time, and would like to turn at least 15" finished bowls, so I guess a 16" swing lathe would suffice. 18-20" probably isn't necessary the more I think about it (never considered wrestling the wood around if an 18-20" piece weighs that much).

To muddle up the water even more, I just received a flyer today stating that Woodcraft is running a sale on the Nova 1624-44 in Dec. for $899.:D 10% off normal the price. This is 1.5hp, 16" swing, 8 speeds via belt/pulley change with low speeds of 215 and 360 rpms, reverse, and swivel head. This lathe has received very good reviews and listed as a "best buy" in one of the woodworking mags. Sure you have to manually adjust the speed, but they claim it only takes seconds. Cons would be that the legs look a bit skimpy, but then your talking $500 less than the Jet 1642. :eek:

Ahhh...so many decisions.....so little time!

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 8:49 PM
RE, the Nova. Nice machine, but VS like the Jet 1642 offers generally gets you much lower speeds which is desirable when you're roughing. It also lets you vary speed minutely to take away harmonic vibration for smoother cuts. Once you turn on a true VS machine, it will be hard to turn on a non-VS machine!

Dean Thomas
11-27-2007, 8:49 PM
Dean and others, I don't think Rockler mixed up the description...
Au contraire, mon ami! This is what Rockler's online ad says:

JWL-1642 Lathe - 16" x 42"
There isn't another lathe like this in its class. With a 14" swing and 42" between centers, it offers plenty of turning capacity. A Reeves variable speed drive lets you index between eight speeds, ranging from 450 RPM to 3,000 RPM.
On the specs page, it clearly states that it is the EVS and that speeds are infinite. The EVS is NOT the Reeves drive. Plus you're looking at the 16" model. That means a 16" swing. Rockler is clearly confused. Copy & pasted once too often. :D

John Shuk
11-27-2007, 9:04 PM
Raymond,
The 1642 is definately an evs. I remember seeing that on another site about the reeves drive as well.
For that price I don't think you'll beat that Jet. It is tried and true.
I've had bad luck with a Laguna bandsaw electronics wise. That doe's not bolster my confidence in their ability to bring decent EVS to market. I would hold off until a bunch of those machines are shipped and fixed before investing in that.

Raymond Overman
11-27-2007, 9:13 PM
Raymond,
The 1642 is definately an evs. I remember seeing that on another site about the reeves drive as well.
For that price I don't think you'll beat that Jet. It is tried and true.
I've had bad luck with a Laguna bandsaw electronics wise. That doe's not bolster my confidence in their ability to bring decent EVS to market. I would hold off until a bunch of those machines are shipped and fixed before investing in that.

Yep, I've figured that out as well. As said earlier, it looks like a case of overzealous copying and pasting from their web site copywriter.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, now I'm thinking about one of these machines. Thanks a lot guys. My piggy bank is cowering in the corner now.:eek: Anyone need a 1957 Delta Rockwell with a 1HP motor/VS controller and assorted accessories and willing to pick it up in Fort Mill, SC?

Gordon Seto
11-27-2007, 9:37 PM
RE, the Nova. Nice machine, but VS like the Jet 1642 offers generally gets you much lower speeds which is desirable when you're roughing. It also lets you vary speed minutely to take away harmonic vibration for smoother cuts. Once you turn on a true VS machine, it will be hard to turn on a non-VS machine!
I totally agree. A year from now, you will think that was the best $500 you have ever spent.

Gordon

Rich Souchek
11-27-2007, 9:40 PM
Dale,
I love the PM3520B and believe it a great bargain.
Was about ready to buy the 16" Jet as an upgrade, but my fiancee told me to get what I REALLY wanted and then don't buy any more lathes.
I actually learned how to turn on a big Oneway, but have tried the PM and it is just as sweet to me. The smaller Jets, grizzly, and Deltas just don't cut it to me.
A lot of it (the attraction) is the looks, mass, ease of control, and the just right feeling of the handles and everything together.
Yes, if required, could use a 16" lathe, but would be saving up money to buy another big PM (or Oneway.)
Whatever you do, hope you enjoy it.
Rich S.

Allen Neighbors
11-27-2007, 10:10 PM
"Al, sell your truck and Camper... Sell your Firstborn... then buy that lathe, and make some more of those beautiful yellow bowls and sell 'em and buy you another truck and camper, and buy back your firstborn. If you go through life settling for second best, it'll be a miserable existence... every time you turn, you'll always wish you'd bought the better one."
My friend told me that, so I bought the better one, and have never looked back. My turnings have paid for it.
Make your choice... make the choice that's best for you.
To answer your question: I've turned up to 23.5" bowls (4 or 5), but most are in the 10" to 14" range. Don't remember which poster said it, but he's right, there aren't a lot of large bowl buyers.

Dale Gregory
11-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeppers, I understand the logic for a bigger swing, more power(torque), heavier lathe (stability), but if your not a ga-billionaire or selling enough of your wares to support you hobby, it's tough for the average joe to spend that much. Logic also tells me, if you buy a Mini, HF, or Griz you will wish that you bought the Nova, Jet or the General, and they wish they had bought the PM (I've turned on one and they are nice) but those guys want the Oneway, Laguna, Robust and on and on. I've only been turning for less than a year and then only during the cold months so going from $250 for a Mini to $1500 for the Jet is a 6x jump, maybe I'll have another upgrade down the road ....let's see if I follow my current upgrade plan of 6x that would be $9000, whoo... let's hope it's not within one year of this purchase. ;)

Seriously, I have to draw the line at what I can budget at this time that will hopefully satisfy 90% of my needs. Unless I can find a deal on a used PM it will be the Nova or Jet. My second nature is the "best deal for the $" usually wins out, and currently I'm leaning toward the Jet with the electronic speed control, 2hp, and sturdier platform and you all are helping see that. Thanks again for all the feedback, you guys are great!

Dale

Frank Kobilsek
11-28-2007, 8:59 AM
Dale,

Buy the 1642! It's is that easy.

Years from now if you want to upgrade most of your assecories will fit the Mustrad.

You'll be happy.

Frank

Pat Doble
11-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with the 1642. I just made the opposite decision but have a couple of different circumstances - I have access to wood that is too big for the Jet (already have a bunch of it) and I 'came into' enough money to just pay for the 3520. If I hadn't won the $$$, my decision very likely would have been for the 1642 and would have been very happy with it - both are great machines and that is an incredible price on the 1642.

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2007, 4:50 PM
I have Nova 1624 and love it. If Jet special was on when I bought it I would have gone for the Jet. 2hp. and electronic control would be great. If I was turning for money I'd go for the 3520B. If I had lots of money it would be a Stubby 1000!