PDA

View Full Version : Starting an Engraving Business - Is it worth it?

Bryan Cowan
11-27-2007, 1:42 PM
Currently, I am an Industrial Engineering Technician for a company in the Instrumentation industry. It's my job to improve processes, reduce costs, the whole nine yards.

One particular process we have been doing for way before my time is roll stamping a couple of our product lines. Roll stamping is quick and cheap, but it's not very flexible and requires manual labor.

I went to a tradeshow in Chicago this past September where I visited an Epilog booth. They showed me what their FiberMark laser system can do and I was highly impressed. The experience was almost like a virus because I've been hooked ever since. While trying to get a FiberMark system into our facility, I began pondering the possibility of doing the same thing with a CO2 laser system on my own at home.

I've been doing a lot of research and came across many suppliers of laser systems, etc. I've narrowed my decision to an Epilog Mini 24. I have the quote for the system with accessories and this is where I began to question the entire idea.

For those with these systems, or similar systems, you know the prices of owning one. Is it worth my money and time to invest in a laser system and perhaps start a business from it? I have countless ideas of markets and people I can target, but I don't know to what extent business will actually be (and I suppose no one ever does). I have absolutely no experience in engraving. I do have experience in running my own business which I also currently do out of my garage (ceiling mounts for home and business projectors). That business takes up ample time as it is, so I'm in the process of outsourcing some of that work.

I understand I will get out of it, what I put in. I have a very comfortable job here, but unfortunately I always want to keep moving and stay busy, which is something that doesn't necessarily always happen here.

So what have been your experiences? Was anyone in the same shoes I'm in now? Or have you always been in the engraving business and acquiring a laser system was just your own "process improvement"?

Joe Pelonio
11-27-2007, 2:08 PM
This comes up every so often, look at old posts for previous comments.

Basically it's a matter of doing more the enough business to pay for the machine and overhead. In the case of a laser, once off warranty, overhead has to include a decent amount saved for future repairs, with the high cost of tubes and motors.

If you are starting out with no existing customer base it has to be hard to make back $15-20,000 working only part time. I took the plunge after over 10 years in the sign business, and had been selling engraving through a subcontractor. I just had to do keep my existing customers and add to that, which turned out well because I could offer new things to people that before only ordered signs. Another key for me has been wholesale customers. That is, people that buy laser cut/engraved items from me and resell to their customers. Just 4-5 good ones can account for enough to pay for the machine in less than one year. Some are dealers of advertising specialties, others sign shops that don't have a laser.

Working part time, these good customers can mean long nights though, when you have a job that takes 30-40 hours to run and they need it in 3 days. When I had employees that was easier, and now I have family that can help, but most of the time it works out fine to be doing vinyl sign work while running the laser in the same room. I do remember some of those nights though, sleeping next to the laser on the floor and getting up every 94 minutes to change the material. Unfortunately the customers rarely cooperate by spacing themselves out evenly. I've come close to adding a second machine a few times, and have even gotten help from other laser owners at times to get through it.

My suggestion is to look at typical laser items, such as name badges and desk nameplates, and maybe cut acrylic lettering, price them, and see how many you need to sell to clear enough to pay for the machine.

Phyllis Meyer
11-27-2007, 2:14 PM
Hi Bryan,

There are great posts on this very subject. I sent you a PM with a little of our story. I never want to bore anyone by reading the same thing over and over again. You will get great answers from the folks on the forum. Just keep in mind and make the decision: Is this going to be a hobby, or a business? Best of luck!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Scott Shepherd
11-27-2007, 2:20 PM
I can't answer that, only you can, but I can tell you that it takes a fair amount of work to just pay the payments depending on what type of stuff you do. We have done jobs that are in the $1500 range that only take a couple of hours, and we have done name tags and keychains that you get $6 for. If you're doing $6 jobs, it'll take a lot of work to support it. If you are doing $1500 jobs, 1 a month might make you very happy. If you plan to take some savings and buy the machine and just "play with it" in your spare time, then that's one thing, but if you plan on making the payments, then you'll need quite a bit of work just to make the payments, not including making any money for you.

I used to think the learning curve was small, but 1 year into it, I have changed my mind. I believe the learning curve is huge. Getting material speeds/feeds perfected takes a lot of time. It's easy to open the book and go with the recommended setting, but in so many cases, those settings are just a ball park setting. So I contend it takes a lot of time and effort to learn the laser and learn what you can and can't do, and how fast you can do it.

Having said all that, I do believe there is a large market out there. But keep in mind, a lot of customers you may need to get to will be working during the day. If you have a job and you can't answer their calls until after hours, it might be hard to grow it. That's assuming you are starting from scratch. A lot of people start up with some contacts or ideas already in place, so that might not be an issue for you.

There's just so much you can do, and it's really limited to your imagination. I am always shocked when I see just how much work a laser can do in one day.

Mark Winlund
11-27-2007, 3:14 PM
I can give you my point of view, which not everyone will agree with. I have been an engraver for 32 years, starting with a New Hermes pantograph in 1975. The laser is just another in a long line of improvements in the trade. First, pantographs, then CNC engravers, then vinyl cutters, then sublimation, then routers, then lasers, and so forth. The truth of it is that it isn't just one machine, it is a field where constant improvements and changes occur, and if you don't embrace them, you will fail. To succeed in this trade requires constant adaption of new ideas and technologies. It isn't enough to just earn a living with the machine you have, you must make enough to (one) make costly mistakes and survive, (two) be able to buy or finance the next new process that comes down the road, and (three) really like what you are doing.

So, be prepared to put in a lot of hours, and don't quit your day job!

Your question, " Is it worth my money and time to invest in a laser system and perhaps start a business from it?" can only be answered by you. It will take thousands of hours of hard work to become successful. Lots of questions like this have been addressed in this forum.

Good luck,

Mark

Bryan Cowan
11-27-2007, 3:40 PM
At first, it would start off as a hobby/side job. I cannot quit my day job due to living expenses and what not. However, I have no problem cutting ties and doing my own thing if my own thing is as lucrative. I ultimately want to be my own boss. I'm a young guy who just graduated from college a year ago. I've always had multiple jobs at once and I like to get my hands dirty and keep them busy.

Asking the question whether or not it is worth my money and my time was inappropriate because I know nobody can answer that. I just wanted to get a feel for other people have done and experienced and whether or not if was worth their time and money.

I started my other business 2 years ago this January and just last week I incorporated new product. Growth is the main part of any business and I understand keeping up with the industry will play a role in a successful business.

Bryan

Nancy Laird
11-27-2007, 4:09 PM
Bryan, PM sent.

Nancy (24 days)

Larry Bratton
11-27-2007, 9:31 PM
Bryan:
Keep your day job!

Bryan Cowan
11-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Not working out like you'd thought it would? Or you don't wany any new competition? ;)

Larry Bratton
11-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Not working out like you'd thought it would? Or you don't wany any new competition? ;)
Bryan:
I assume your answering my reply.
Bryan, I am 62 yrs old and have been self employed practically all of my working life. I just know, that leaving a good paying job, even one you don't like, and to try and launch a new business (unless your loaded with lots of cash) is a trial by fire. (Been there, done that). If you can keep your job, ease into the new business, see if you like it and can make it successful, you and your family will be a lot happier. Take it from an old guy-keep your day job!

Stephen Beckham
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Bryan,

I bought my laser during my last year in the military. Started etching part time or as a hobby - what ever you want to call it. Three months before I retired, I opened the store evenings only. It made for 70 hour weeks for the three months.

Between both steps in the process, I built up enough business base that I know am breaking even plus some - nothing to shake a stick at, but I'm making bills for household and business after eight months. If things keep going well, I expect I'll be doing decent by this time next year. It'll be my third year in the business - "hope is not a method" but it seems to be paying off for me right now.

If you can afford another car payment - and you want a neat hobby that could lead into a new business - laser might be a good move. If you're not sure - lease one for three years. Payments are a bit higher, but at the end, you'll know if you want to buy it, upgrade bigger/better or get out.

They say us men never grow up, we just get more expensive toys... I'm there!!!! :D

John Keeton
11-28-2007, 7:15 AM
Bryan

We do not yet own a laser and are not qualified to comment on that part of your post. But, we have raised 5 kids:), all of which have successfully gone through various stages of adulthood and parenthood. We have incurred some huge debts:eek: at times in business moves, and, like many that have responded, earned every gray hair we have.

It seems that there are questions you have not considered. What are your plans for the next 10 years, other than business. At your age, there are a multitude of "stressors" that you may have not considered - marriage or commitment, kids, etc.

A good bit of your comments seem self absorbed which is natural at your point in life, but for the most part, the remainder of your life may involve others that may not share the same comfort with your work load, debt load, etc. If you are intent on remaining somewhat independent of those issues, then that is another story.

I agree that you keep the day job, unless you can pay cash for the machine and don't foresee any other major changes in your life.

Bryan Cowan
11-28-2007, 7:59 AM
Bryan:
I assume your answering my reply.
Bryan, I am 62 yrs old and have been self employed practically all of my working life. I just know, that leaving a good paying job, even one you don't like, and to try and launch a new business (unless your loaded with lots of cash) is a trial by fire. (Been there, done that). If you can keep your job, ease into the new business, see if you like it and can make it successful, you and your family will be a lot happier. Take it from an old guy-keep your day job!

I 100% agree with you. It was never my intention to give up what I have now to dive head first into a laser business. I apologize if that's how it was interpretted :)

I hope to stay with my current job, purchase a laser, and run the business on the side, if time and money allows me. But thank you for your advice.

Bryan Cowan
11-28-2007, 8:06 AM
Bryan

We do not yet own a laser and are not qualified to comment on that part of your post. But, we have raised 5 kids:), all of which have successfully gone through various stages of adulthood and parenthood. We have incurred some huge debts:eek: at times in business moves, and, like many that have responded, earned every gray hair we have.

It seems that there are questions you have not considered. What are your plans for the next 10 years, other than business. At your age, there are a multitude of "stressors" that you may have not considered - marriage or commitment, kids, etc.

A good bit of your comments seem self absorbed which is natural at your point in life, but for the most part, the remainder of your life may involve others that may not share the same comfort with your work load, debt load, etc. If you are intent on remaining somewhat independent of those issues, then that is another story.

I agree that you keep the day job, unless you can pay cash for the machine and don't foresee any other major changes in your life.

Well said. I wouldn't be going down this road alone. I took my girlfriend of 4 years to an Epilog Roadshow and she really enjoyed it. Of course with the cost of a laser and after 4 years of dating, both her and I have other plans with that money. Good things come to those who wait, it's just unfortunate that I dislike waiting...especially when there are cool toys waiting to be played with :)

After speaking with a few other members via PM, I'm going to use this time to further my research. I'm considering joining other forums such as EE to help with my research. I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into before signing that check.

Thanks everyone for your contributions! :D

Brian Robison
11-28-2007, 8:29 AM
Bryan,
You and I are in the same boat except for the girlfriend, my wife would kill me!:eek:
Larry and John gave you some really good advice.
I have a great day job that even allows me to be on here and work on Corel drawings if there is time. I'm a plastics hot runner engineer. I've had my laser for about 3.5 years. It's fun, it's a lot of extra time and work too.
It gets in your blood and you want to laser everything so hide your dog for a week or so after you get it.

Jeanette Brewer
11-28-2007, 1:05 PM
I took my girlfriend of 4 years to an Epilog Roadshow and she really enjoyed it. Of course with the cost of a laser and after 4 years of dating, both her and I have other plans with that money

Bryan,

Forget the "other plans" that you & your girlfriend have. Buy the laser instead!

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am a happily-divorced laser salesperson)! ;)

Bryan Cowan
11-28-2007, 1:09 PM
Bryan,

Forget the "other plans" that you & your girlfriend have. Buy the laser instead!

(In the interest of full disclosure, I am a happily-divorced laser salesperson)! ;)

Haha, in due time, both plans will happen. :)

Brian Robison
11-28-2007, 3:41 PM
Marriage and Divorce?:rolleyes:

Bryan Cowan
11-28-2007, 3:43 PM
Marriage and Divorce?:rolleyes:

depends on which one comes with a laser, ha ;)

Nancy Laird
11-28-2007, 4:25 PM
It gets in your blood and you want to laser everything so hide your dog for a week or so after you get it.

Brian, how did you get the dog to lie still enough to laser it??:D:D My cats just get up and leave.http://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Nancy (23 days)

Brian Robison
11-28-2007, 4:38 PM
He's a really old & lazy dog.

Ryan O'Hara
11-28-2007, 6:46 PM
Bryan,

I think I am in a similar position as you. I am a mechanical engineering serving in the Air Force. Electronics and the need to produce stencils and cases for my designs were the main reason for our purchase. This and now he fact that my wife is pregnant and looking to stay home (marketing and graphic design background) were the reason for our purchase. In theory we will grow our electronics and service capabilities. I am not quitting my day job, but my wife are hoping that we can have the best of both worlds by her being with the baby and the two of us running the laser. We'll see how things go.

My Epilog Helix is set to ship this week. I am pretty excited. Needless to say I won't be getting any presents for XMAS.

Brian Robison
11-29-2007, 8:10 AM
Ryan,
again that is similar to us, my wife has been home with the kids 14, 5, and 19 months for 5 years. Money's tight but it's worth every cent plus more to have her raise our children instead of a day care.