PDA

View Full Version : Wood Trim Poll

Lee Schierer
02-15-2004, 6:46 PM
Let say you have three rooms that all connect via a wide doorway or archway. The three rooms are a kitchen, a dining room and a living room. The kitchen and the living room both copnnect to the dining room. The kitchen has honey Oak cabinets, the dining room has rosewood colored wainscoating and trim, the living room has light walnut trim. For simplicity assume all the rooms are oak. If you were going to encase the two doorways that connect these three rooms with wood, what color would you make the trim in each room. What color would you make the door jambs.

Joe Tonich
02-15-2004, 9:11 PM
Lee,

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. My house is built the same way & if I don't move, guess what I'll be doing. :p

Joe - not voting cause I don't know what to do either! :confused:

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2004, 10:39 PM
I'd do what SHE wants. I suspect if that were my house I'd be ripping a lot of something out to make it all match.

Jim Young
02-15-2004, 10:45 PM
I would definitely match the reim to the existing trim in each room. As far as the door jam, that's more difficult. Maybe something neutral, or match the room from which you can see the most jam.

Hans Kribbel
02-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Looks like a nice color puzzle.
I would certianly make two identical jambs, otherwise it gets too funky. The reifs of the diningroom I would suggest to match to the dining room colors and the jambs I would hold in a fairly neutral English oak tone. I don't know if I would want the trim of the kitchen and living room side in different color than the jambs. I guess not but I could be wrong because I cannot exactly imagine how different the coloring would be from English oak.
Just my 2 cents.

Chers

Lee Schierer
02-16-2004, 2:36 PM
Lee,

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. My house is built the same way & if I don't move, guess what I'll be doing. :p

Joe - not voting cause I don't know what to do either! :confused:

Well, I thought it was just me that had this question, but I guess others have run across it as well.

Dave Klear
02-16-2004, 8:01 PM
Here's a take from a guy thats been doing trim since the late 60's.
The same color throughout gives a feeling of calm , consistentsy(sp?) and a more rich look. Just look at your older homes that are featured in magazines. But if you talk to a designer anything goes. The more the merrier. Too many colors gets confusing to the mind and seems unsettled. IMHO (never have been much on designers) :(

Kurt Aebi
02-17-2004, 7:40 AM
I would line the doorways with Oak to match the Kitchen, then with No Reveal, trim out each other room with wood that matches that room. Make sure there is No Reveal on the Oak in those rooms.

Kurt

Kelly C. Hanna
02-17-2004, 9:34 AM
I am no designer (thank God), but I think the trim should be one color throughout even if the walls in each room are different colors. I tend to shy away from even talking to designers as they never seem to have a clue about what looks good (besides the fact that they detest carpenters with opinions and I have a bunch of 'em...:D:D:D).