PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problem

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I have Comcast as my ISP and use Outlook Express. It used to do the Send/Receive when I started Outlook Express but it stopped do it when I start it. I have my wife's Comcast account set up as a account in OE and her's will do the Send/Receive when I switch identities. Any ideas what could be wrong. I double checked all the settings and they seem to be exactly the same for each identity/account. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Don Kondra
11-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Tools > Send and receive all.. ??

Cheers, Don.

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Tools > Send and receive all.. ??

Cheers, Don.

Don,

That won't work either. The Send/Receive commands must all be the same. The only way I can get my email off the server is to go to Send/Receive and go down to my account (see attach pic) and click that. If I just switch Identities to my wife's account it will download her email fine. If I switch Identities back to mine nothing until I go to the tool bar and select it.

George Lesniak
11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Go to Tools > Accounts > Properties (for the problem account)

Is there a check in the box for "Include this account when receiving mail"?

George

David G Baker
11-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Peter,
Many of my friends have had problems with Outlook Express, Many of them get the problem fixed only to have it go bad again after a month or so. My suggestion was to get a Yahoo E-mail address. You can save all of your e-mail on Yahoo if you want. If you are traveling, you can get your e-mail on any computer that has and Internet connection. They have a spell checker, spam filter and many bells and whistles. It is easy to upload photos, etc. If your computer crashes you don't loose the items you have saved in your Yahoo mail box.
I really liked Outlook Express until I too started having problems with it several years ago. I compose a lot of my E-mail in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste it into my Yahoo E-mail.
I have no connection with Yahoo, just like it.

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 11:55 AM
Go to Tools > Accounts > Properties (for the problem account)

Is there a check in the box for "Include this account when receiving mail"?

George

George,

Neither account has this checked.

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Peter,
Many of my friends have had problems with Outlook Express, Many of them get the problem fixed only to have it go bad again after a month or so. My suggestion was to get a Yahoo E-mail address. You can save all of your e-mail on Yahoo if you want. If you are traveling, you can get your e-mail on any computer that has and Internet connection. They have a spell checker, spam filter and many bells and whistles. It is easy to upload photos, etc. If your computer crashes you don't loose the items you have saved in your Yahoo mail box.
I really liked Outlook Express until I too started having problems with it several years ago. I compose a lot of my E-mail in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste it into my Yahoo E-mail.
I have no connection with Yahoo, just like it.

David,

I have a gmail account for a lot of things like addresses for internet purchases. We've been using OE for a long time and have never had a problem. Have Lycos accounts I rarely use. Had a hotmail account and hated it. Will keep using OE for my Comcast account, hopefully I'll figure out what is wrong.

Brian Weick
11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
, when you open Outlook go to the top of the menu /go to help/ detect and repair - that will repair any damaged , or missing files that may have occurred in outlook express. I use Office xp professional - Microsoft Outlook - Outlook is a blown up version of express and are very similar.
after you do that- go to account settings and check to make sure you have the proper boxes checked for send/receive on all accounts.
hope this helps,:)
Brian

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 12:31 PM
, when you open Outlook go to the top of the menu /go to help/ detect and repair - that will repair any damaged , or missing files that may have occurred in outlook express. I use Office xp professional - Microsoft Outlook - Outlook is a blown up version of express and are very similar.
after you do that- go to account settings and check to make sure you have the proper boxes checked for send/receive on all accounts.
hope this helps,:)
Brian

Brian,

menu /go to help/ detect and repair is not a menu item under Help. OE not like it's big brother.

Brian Weick
11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Brian,

menu /go to help/ detect and repair is not a menu item under Help. OE not like it's big brother.

Isn't there a detect & repair somewhere from the menu? tools possibly
Brian

Peter Stahl
11-27-2007, 1:30 PM
Isn't there a detect & repair somewhere from the menu? tools possibly
Brian

Brian,

No not there either. I think I did fix it though, was just going to post that. I made another account in OE and doing this somehow fixed the other account. Don't have any idea why??? Deleted the account I made and now every thing seems to work. Thanks everyone for your replies and hopefully it will stay working.

Brian Weick
11-27-2007, 1:33 PM
it's working properly, you know you really need a shave looking at your picture- doesn't that bother you- LOL
Brian

PS: I know- caveman comercial dudes

Stephen Beckham
11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Outlook Express - so easy a caveman can do it... :D

Allen Boynton
11-28-2007, 1:47 AM
change over to Mozilla Thunderbird...and Firefox to replace IE. You will NOT regret it.
Link to Thunderbird:
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

What does a computer and an air conditioner have in common?
Once you open windows, they both quit working correctly.

Peter Stahl
11-28-2007, 2:25 AM
change over to Mozilla Thunderbird...and Firefox to replace IE. You will NOT regret it.
Link to Thunderbird:

I use FF and like it a lot but haven't used T-Bird much. Guess I'll have to use it a while to see how it does.

Peter Stahl
11-28-2007, 2:26 AM
Outlook Express - so easy a caveman can do it... :D

Would be if this caveman was a dummy! :cool:

Jon Lanier
11-28-2007, 3:01 AM
Go to your lathe. Whip out a bat on the lathe, preferably Hickory. Take bat and smack your computer with it a few times or Bill Gates. :eek:

Peter Stahl
11-28-2007, 2:54 PM
Link to Thunderbird:

I remeber why I didn't like using T-Bird. Keep getting error messages like the one attached when sending messages.

Curt Harms
11-28-2007, 3:12 PM
I remeber why I didn't like using T-Bird. Keep getting error messages like the one attached when sending messages.

I've had problems with Thunderbird when using some hotel hi speed internet setups, though not many. I can usually download messages but can't create new messages or reply on the problem hotel systems. I just use my ISP's (verizon) web mail when Thunderbird won't work. It might be worth talking to your ISP. I like Thunderbird for an email client.

HTH

Curt

Peter Stahl
11-28-2007, 3:20 PM
I've had problems with Thunderbird when using some hotel hi speed internet setups, though not many. I can usually download messages but can't create new messages or reply on the problem hotel systems. I just use my ISP's (verizon) web mail when Thunderbird won't work. It might be worth talking to your ISP. I like Thunderbird for an email client.

HTH

Curt

Why use T-Bird if you have to use your ISP's email? Wish T-Bird had better support but what do you want for free huh.

Alex Krenvalk
07-19-2010, 1:58 PM

HTH

Curt
I have never have problems with Outlook Express emails. But once I opened my program and I was thunderstruck by my lost emails. For luck I used the Google and discovered there - outlook express messages disappear (http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/outlook_express_disappeared.html). To my great surprise the utility resolved my issue for a little and utterly free of cost. Moreover I saw how it helped my friend.

Bryan Morgan
07-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Link to Thunderbird:

I'd just get a gmail account and have it pull your other account (s). That way its all in one place, works well with your cell phone... if your computer blows up you don't lose anything.

Curt Harms
07-20-2010, 8:10 AM
I'd just get a gmail account and have it pull your other account (s). That way its all in one place, works well with your cell phone... if your computer blows up you don't lose anything.

I prefer Thunderbird to web mail but it's easy to use both. My phone is none too bright and is just used for phone calls which it does fine. When I configure Thunderbird, before checking mail the first time I go to server setup and select leave message on the server until I delete it or words to that effect. That way mail is stored both locally for quick & easy retrieval and on the ISP mail server for archival purposes. The default Thunderbird setting is to download messages then delete them on the server. That behavior is easy enough to change.

Bill Cunningham
07-20-2010, 9:43 PM
They didn't nick name it 'Lookout Express' for nothing.. :D

Another vote here for Firefox/Thunderbird and for building a website, you can't beat Mozilla Seamonkey for the price! (free)

paul cottingham
07-20-2010, 9:55 PM
That's not thunderbird, it's a config problem sure as tootin'. so to speak. The error message is telling you your smtp settings are incorrect. Likely a username error...it is looking for a name or an email address.

Bryan Morgan
07-21-2010, 2:00 AM
I prefer Thunderbird to web mail but it's easy to use both. My phone is none too bright and is just used for phone calls which it does fine. When I configure Thunderbird, before checking mail the first time I go to server setup and select leave message on the server until I delete it or words to that effect. That way mail is stored both locally for quick & easy retrieval and on the ISP mail server for archival purposes. The default Thunderbird setting is to download messages then delete them on the server. That behavior is easy enough to change.

Just setup the account as IMAP and the mail and folders stay on the server and can be accessed from wherever...

Curt Harms
07-21-2010, 8:44 AM
Just setup the account as IMAP and the mail and folders stay on the server and can be accessed from wherever...

Thanks Bryan. I never understood the difference between POP & IMAP.

Bryan Morgan
07-21-2010, 3:58 PM
Thanks Bryan. I never understood the difference between POP & IMAP.

POP3 pulls the emails to your device (unless you tell it to leave them on the server). Think of it as just temporary holding server. All of your folder management and whatnot is done on the local client where the emails are stored. IMAP keeps everything on the server. Most clients handle IMAP just great these days. The only drawback with IMAP is whatever your mailbox size limitations are.

Chuck Wintle
07-21-2010, 4:19 PM
POP3 pulls the emails to your device (unless you tell it to leave them on the server). Think of it as just temporary holding server. All of your folder management and whatnot is done on the local client where the emails are stored. IMAP keeps everything on the server. Most clients handle IMAP just great these days. The only drawback with IMAP is whatever your mailbox size limitations are.

In thunderbird its easy to leave messages on the server simply check the box.."leave messages on server". +1 for thunderbird.....way better than Outlook express. :D:D

Bryan Morgan
07-22-2010, 3:31 PM
In thunderbird its easy to leave messages on the server simply check the box.."leave messages on server". +1 for thunderbird.....way better than Outlook express. :D:D

Yes but it doesn't leave any folder structures on the server....;) With IMAP you can plop all your emails in different folders and see those folders (and emails) on any IMAP client. When you make a change, it changes for all devices/clients at the same time.