PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pain

Steve Retherford
11-27-2007, 9:48 AM
Hello all, I'm wondering if someone can provide me with the name or type of mat they might be using while turning? I've just started turning again and need something to help alleviate my pain. Thanks in advance. Steve.

Paul Heely
11-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I use a 1/2" anti slip mat that I got from McMaster-Carr, www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com). The part number of the one I have is 74465T15.

I didn't buy it so much for standing comfort, it is nice to stand on, but more for the anti slip. I have a painted wood floor in my shop and where I stand the anti-skid additive has been worn down the the floor is burnished and quite slick. The mat has been great for fixing that.

One other place to look for rubber matting is a horse supply place if you have any near you.

Good luck.

Rick Huelsbeck
11-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I use a set of 4 qrey squares I picked up at lowes, they are about 1/2 thick and 2 foot square. I have serious problems with my feet (just had surgery last wed to build new joints in my big toe on right foot) and those things are really nice to stand on.

Barry Elder
11-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I used a local podiatrist who helped me to get a pair of shoes that provided proper support and fit.

Rich Stewart
11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Cut the legs off your stand and sit.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I got my pads from Sears. Those and my doctor telling me to wear New Balance 600 tennis shoes has helped me a lot.

David Fried
11-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I have the one Woodcraft had on sale. I like it and it's even cushier with 3" of shavings on top! :D

Dean Matthews
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I have several of the anti-fatigue mats from Rockler. They seem to work pretty well. So well in fact my wife made me get her some for in the kitchen as well. =)

Jon Lanier
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Hello all, I'm wondering if someone can provide me with the name or type of mat they might be using while turning? I've just started turning again and need something to help alleviate my pain. Thanks in advance. Steve.

I have one from Tractor Supply. Farmers use it for laying down in stalls for the animals. It is around $50 and you 5' x 8', I cut in down the middle and have one at my lathe station and the other at my assembly bench.

Quite comfortable and durable.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I have the interlocking ones from HD and Lowes. I made paths between all my tables and work stations. Works great.Comes in pkgs. of 6.

Brian Brown
11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I got some foam squares from Sams Club that were made for the floor of a kids play area. About 1/2 inch thick. Glue two together one on top of the other, and they make 1" of cushy comfort. I was like David thinking that the pile of shavings were extra cushy.

I have the one Woodcraft had on sale. I like it and it's even cushier with 3" of shavings on top! :D

Then I found out after a while that standing on an uneven surface was making my feet hurt worse, because my weight was unevenly distributed. Now when I get a pile of shavings . I sweep it to the side.

Brian

Jim Underwood
11-27-2007, 1:33 PM
The best thing I ever did for my feet was getting some orthotics custom made. Best money I ever spent.

As a mechanic in Georgia, I'd been on my feet on concrete for about 17 years... And they would hurt when they first hit the floor in the morning until I got off of them at night.

Icing them down helped, but the best thing was proper arch support. Plantar Fascitis is no fun!:(

Mike A. Smith
11-27-2007, 2:20 PM
Plantar Fascitis is no fun!:(

Ditto that Jim! I also got some customs made when I was diagnosed and it did wonders for me. Of course dropping 80 pounds probably had something to do with it too.

I use a combination of a purchased mat and the puzzle piece foam. BTW, if you actually have foot problems standing on those shavings is a bad idea!

Bubba Davis
11-27-2007, 3:00 PM
If you have a restaurant supply house near you they sell a lot of good pads that might work for you.

Dean Thomas
11-27-2007, 3:36 PM
Agreed on one. I actually use this same mat doubled or even triple thick. Brian B's right, though about standing on uneven piles of stuff. Sweep it out of the way! It's a nice romantic thought, but not good in practicality, especially if your feet are as old as mine!

I wear SAS shoes and sometimes use two pairs of socks in them if I'm going to be on concrete for extended periods of time--padded white sport socks plus compression hose for the legs.

Good shoes, extra socks, and double thick mats. Does good for my feet. And if I remember to flex my knees now and again, it helps them, too.

Reed Gray
11-27-2007, 3:44 PM
I tried some of the Max Matts that CSUSA has. They were on the floor around the lathe that Mike Mahoney was turning on. One inch thick nitrile, and my feet let out a loud sigh of relief. They are small, and spendy, but my feet love them.

I did hear from one matt company that the horse matts are made for horses, and unless you weigh 1,000 plus, they aren't that good.

robo hippy

Rick Gibson
11-27-2007, 3:48 PM
I have the 2 ft square interlocking ones all over the shop. They work great. Also have the one from Lee Valley that the daughter in law got me for Christmas last year. It is better it seems to be a little softer but either are much better than the concrete floor.

Ed Scolforo
11-27-2007, 4:05 PM
Did someone say cut your legs off and sit ? :(

Steve Retherford
11-27-2007, 4:52 PM
I just had foot surgery in August and I'm still rehabilitating my foot. I called my doctors office today and requested a referral for a podiatrist. I am also going to go over to the local Tractor Supply today. Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 5:17 PM
I use anti-fatigue mats from U-Line...in the shop and frankly, in our kitchen which has a brick floor. They are wonderful.

For my lathe workstation, I bought a 4' x 6' mat and cut it to fit around the legs of Stubbalina. It's positioned so whether I'm working in the front or at the end while hollowing, my feet are always on the pad.

Jerry Allen
11-27-2007, 6:37 PM
I got 4 interlocking 2x2 squares to use at the lathe from Harbor Freight for ~$7.50.
They work great. One of the things they help with is keeping the cold cement floor from affecting my feet, in addition the cushioning effect.
This was verified by my dog, who prefers sitting on them as opposed to the cement.