PDA

View Full Version : Anything to visit in NYC?

Ian Barley
02-15-2004, 6:32 PM
I am due to get a weekend in New York city in a couple of weeks. The pound/dollar rate makes it sensible for us to do some of the shopping to replace our fire damaged clothing in NYC and get a weekend away.

I have visited a couple of times before and done most of the usual tourist things. We intend to visit Ground zero to pay our respects but I am interested in anything woodwork related that I should consider.

We will basically be based in Manhattan and are very unlikely to make it to any of the outer boroughs. Does anybody have any recommendations??

Martin Shupe
02-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Ian,

Maybe you are familiar with Garratt Wade Tools.

If you are, you may be disappointed in their "storefront".

It is up an elevator ride in a skyscraper, and there is a window where you can ask to see stuff from the catalog.

Great catalog, disappointing store. :(

Still, if you have not seen there catalog, it would be worth it to go by and get one and compare prices.

The other place I might go is to see Kim Carelton Graves (I think I spelled it correctly). He runs a furniture shop in NYC, and has written books for Taunton. Supposed to be very nice in person. He recently moved his shop, but I think it was a move upstairs in the same building.

Another place might be "Tools for Working Wood", but they list their address as a PO Box, so I don't know if they have a real store or not.

Check their website. It is their name, .com

No affilliation with anyone.

Jim Becker
02-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Thos Moser (http://www.thosmoser.com) has a showroom at 699 Madison Avenue on the 2nd Floor. If you like cherry with a fine finish, you'll enjoy fondling his furniture!

Joel Moskowitz
02-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Tools for Working Wood
We are located at 27 West 20th Street suite 507
M-f 10:30 - 6:00
most of the tools are available and we have a workbench so you can play.

However while you are in NY don't miss
the Metropolitain Museum of Art - second largest collection on display
of American Furniture in the world.
fab collection of European and asian furniture too.

And of course if You like arts and CRafts furntiure -
Audi - with the stickley collection is right around the corner from my shop.

joel

Jeff Evans
02-19-2004, 7:59 PM
I would agree with visiting the Metropolitain Museum of Art. I was there in November 2003. There is an excellent furniture display. I was also impressed with their display of medieval armor.

If you have some time, Philadelphia is on a couple hours away. The Philadelpia Museum of Art also has a great furniture display.

Jeff

Jim Becker
02-19-2004, 8:32 PM
If you have some time, Philadelphia is on a couple hours away. The Philadelpia Museum of Art also has a great furniture display.

There are a ton of woodworking/woodturning/furniture attractions in the Delaware Valley, not to mention an abundance of historical sites.

Bill Grumbine
02-20-2004, 9:24 AM
We will basically be based in Manhattan and are very unlikely to make it to any of the outer boroughs. Does anybody have any recommendations??

Hi Ian

I was getting all excited right up until this quote. We are only about 90 minutes west of the city, and would love to have you as a guest, but if you aren't able to make it out of the city, perhaps next time.

Bill

Ian Barley
02-20-2004, 6:45 PM
Hi Ian

I was getting all excited right up until this quote. We are only about 90 minutes west of the city, and would love to have you as a guest, but if you aren't able to make it out of the city, perhaps next time.

Bill

Bill

I had no idea that you were that close. I think that this time around we will be too short on time for a visit. As I said this is really mainly a shopping trip. (If we're honest it's more me accompanying my wife on her shopping trip)

I am sure that this isn't the last time we will visit NY so maybe next time I'll build a visit into the plans.

I have the Met on my standby list if I get any significant time outside of the Gap or Crate & Barrel but hadn't thought to look there for furniture, but I will now.

Thanks all for responses