PDA

View Full Version : A pedestal on a NE?

Bonnie Campbell
11-27-2007, 8:57 AM
Not my idea of what to do with the bottom of this bowl, but LOML wants a pedestal bottom :rolleyes: And since it'll be his......

It's made out of the red oak I'd asked about turning before, 7.25" X 3".

I'm still sanding it, hence being on the chuck still.

Any suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Crafts/CabinRedOak1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Crafts/CabinRedOak.jpg

Paul Engle
11-27-2007, 9:48 AM
looking good so far Bonnie, ah maybe try and talk him out of a pedistal .... if that dosen't work go with something that contrasts ,I used some walnut on an oak jewelery box and some oak compotes and the combination looked good( least the daughters liked it) I have to remember not to get carried away with the shape , as LOML says when i do em " keep it plain and simple and stately " so as not to take away from the bowl. uh ....
I did an oak box with a Padauk lid and walnut knob and I thought it looked well ... ok , contrast sometimes aint.....and try the golden triangle rule of thum like John H did last week when he did his for the demensions. use a piece of cardboard for the outline and " see" how it looks .

Glenn Hodges
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
No to pedistal.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Talk him out of it Bonnie. Great looking NE you have there. I don't think it would look real good with a pedestal IMHO.

John Hart
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Ok...I've been working hard on this, so it would be wasteful not to post it.:o

Here's an illustration of sorts

Disclaimer: By submission of this pictorial reference, there have been no guarantees, either expressed or implied, nor by action of any individual or entity, that divine light will emanate near the turning upon completion of said pedestal.

David Fried
11-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks John - no pedestal!

Bonnie Campbell
11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow John! Now if I HAVE to put a pedestal on I'll try for something along them lines :)

Since this is only my second NE I'm still worrying about even getting the bottom tenon turned off :o

But I guess once turned off (hopefully correctly!) I could make a couple of pedestals to see how they'll look. If I make them ugly enough he might change his mind...... lol

Soooooooooo, any suggestions on woods to try?

John Hart
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I only have one suggestion...Don't remove the tenon....maybe shorten it a little.

Chuck up your pedestal wood to a faceplate....get the face flat....then turn a recess that fits the tenon exactly. Then epoxy the bowl to the pedestal while still on the lathe. (If you're using 5 minute epoxy...you can be ready to turn in an hour.)

This way, you can turn the profile of the pedestal, continuing the lines of the bowl....for about a half an inch.....Then, at that point, start a new line, sweeping into that girlish form of the pedestal.

I know this doesn't make sense...But I need to hit the "Submit Reply" button first, before I'll know how little sense it made. ...It's a rule.;)