PDA

View Full Version : Festool twin?

Al Killian
11-26-2007, 9:36 PM
I was over at a guys shop yesterday and he had what looked like Festool domino, but at closer look it wasnt.:confused: It was made in germany came in the same style case but was the tool was dark green. I can not remember what brand it was but he said it was alittle cheaper. Annyone else seen this brand?

Chris Parks
11-26-2007, 9:59 PM
No, but give him a ring, and post back here with the brand and price.

Greg Pavlov
11-26-2007, 11:04 PM
His wife is on to him, so he's started to paint over Festool gear before he brings it home....

Tim Sproul
11-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Are any of the Lamello biscuit joiners dark green?

Charles Grosjean
11-27-2007, 2:00 AM
I was over at a guys shop yesterday and he had what looked like Festool domino, but at closer look it wasnt.:confused: It was made in germany came in the same style case but was the tool was dark green.

A hoffman dowel tool perhaps?

http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/pds32/pds32.htm

Bernhard Lampert
11-27-2007, 8:44 AM
This tool is most likely Maffell's hand-held doweling machine. It is re-branded by Hoffman (green and black), the original Maffellis orange/red.
It is the next best thing to a Festo Domino. Much better than a biscuit jointer, alignment is easier and more accurate and precise. Resulting joint is stronger than a biscuit. BUT it isn't a Domino.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Al Killian
01-05-2008, 7:01 PM
The brand is Hoffman. He said they are a better brand and better prices. Just his words, not mine. Finally rememberd to ask him about it. Didnt have a camera so no pic.

Craig Earls
01-05-2008, 7:06 PM
This tool is most likely Maffell's hand-held doweling machine. It is re-branded by Hoffman (green and black), the original Maffellis orange/red.
It is the next best thing to a Festo Domino. Much better than a biscuit jointer, alignment is easier and more accurate and precise. Resulting joint is stronger than a biscuit. BUT it isn't a Domino.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Clearly it isn't a Domino, but why isn't it as good as a Domino? It seems far more flexible with respect to thickness of material it can handle, dowels are far less expensive than Domino tenons, where's the downside?

Joe Mioux
01-05-2008, 9:04 PM
is this a hoffman machine that makes dowels, or butterfly dovetail tennons.

If it is the latter, I could understans the "better" comment on certain applications.

joe

ps, "butterfly dovetail tennons" may not be the most appropriate description..

Craig Earls
01-05-2008, 9:23 PM
is this a hoffman machine that makes dowels, or butterfly dovetail tennons.

If it is the latter, I could understans the "better" comment on certain applications.

joe

ps, "butterfly dovetail tennons" may not be the most appropriate description..

It looks identical to a Domino, except that it drill two round holes (32mm on center) rather than cutting a mortise like the domino...