PDA

View Full Version : How Young?

Greg Just
11-26-2007, 9:22 PM
How young is too young to learn to use a lathe? My son, who is nearly 10 has expressed interest in turning something. I sure level of maturity and desire to learn are the biggest factors. Thoughts and comments please.

Pete Jordan
11-26-2007, 9:29 PM
I have a seven year old I am working with along with sons 10 and 12.

Just make sure you guide them through every step.

I also purchased a safe drive center to prevent catches.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Drive_Centers___Safe_Driver___ safe_driver?Args=

David Fried
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
My son started as my "helper", at nine, drilling pen blanks. (He had to stand on a 5 gallon canister to use the drill press!)
I was looking for was the ability to listen to instructions and follow them. Once he demonstrated that he had listened
and learned he graduated to the lath.

He's now eleven and is allowed to use the bandsaw with some supervision.

Now he's asking to make a bowl!

John Hart
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Here's my Daughter Elise and her first go at it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32333

Elise is typically a goof ball, but she stayed focused and had a great time. The pen still is in a treasured spot next to her bed.

Dave Bonde
11-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I teach middle school Industrial Technology (grades 6-8) and have taught hundreds of kids that age turning. Your right knowing the child and their ability and desire is a big factor. Not all of those kids got the same experience but they got what they were ready for anywhere from their hands on the tool while I did all the turning to making a complete project from start to finish. My own son now age 11 has been using power tools with me for several years. Pens or key chains are a great starter project. I guess I am saying if he is showing interest he is ready :) Enjoy the time you will both never forget it. Dave

Jim Becker
11-27-2007, 8:17 AM
It's more a matter of the ability to concentrate, IMHO. A very focused 7 year old can turn, but a hyper 10 year old might not be able to do so well. Do be sure that you make provisions that the child can stand at the lathe with the spindle height comfortable for maximum safety.

Jon Lanier
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
My son is 11 years old and just started turning. He hates the idea of a big bowl, it is intimidating. But doing pens and tops he loves. I'd start small with them, let them progress at their own pace.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9625/joshbubingaem6.jpg

robert hainstock
11-27-2007, 5:07 PM
I turned my first wood as a sophomore in HS. I have seven Grandsons, and the only one I would have let onto th shop at theyoung ages you are talking was the one who p9cked up the right end of a screwdriver at the age of two, and put the right end into a screw head. The others never showed and mechanical apptitude. that one is now a contractor, and one other is a heavy machinery mechanic. He never lived close enough to find out about.
I hope that it works out for all of you guyd,nbut give them enough room to be themselves.
Bob

Dean Thomas
11-27-2007, 7:00 PM
Go buddy! Get him up to the tools early. Do a full safety lecture and impress upon his young mind that safety is indeed the first thing on the list.

I taught a bunch of 8-12-year-olds from my church. They did great. Very focused.

Two hints: First, you might want to try a Safe Driver from Oneway. Great little tool to help newbies learn to not fear catches. If your project catches with a Safe Driver, the project just stops while the machine keeps spinning. Available for #1 or #2 Morse tapers and for ShopSmith machines.

Second hint: Don't tell them scary stories about skews! :D Show 'em how to use one for Vee-grooves and let 'em play with it doing beads on chunks of pine 2x2 stock. We played with round, oval, and flat-stock skews. The kids did way better than their scaredy-cat dads. They did not know enough to be timid. It caught, they shrugged and went right back at it. The catches with the safe driver was actually less scary than having a blade break on a scroll saw.

And we had a 10-year-old at our last Freedom Pens Project. Came with Grandpa. Turned 4 pens in 3 hours. They'll have special tags telling the receiving troops that their pens were turned with love from a Kansas Kid of 10 years.

Jude Kingery
11-27-2007, 7:29 PM
Hello Greg, I'd encourage you to teach your son now, sure thing. He has an interest? Go for it! I was in the shop with my Dad at age 8 and learned how to turn then, did bunches of lathe projects from then on through high-school. (took a break to have a career, then back to turning in retirement). I've also taught two kids how to turn, one was 14 and he went on to make all kinds of things; we got to see some of his bowls this past summer, then my other student is now 11 and he's turned 4 things so far, very nicely done. I make sure he wears a dust mask, face shield, knows the tools and turn him loose. I also have that little lathe geared to where I can stop it with my hand so if he does get a catch, it won't pull his hand in and he can negotiate it ok and learn from it. He's done very well! Best to you! Jude

Ben Gastfriend
11-27-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm 13 and making pens, spindle stuff, small bowls, and ornaments (for Dennis Peacock). The worst injury I've gotten has been a little scrape on my hand from a gouge.

Greg Just
11-27-2007, 10:18 PM
This weekend we are going to turn a pen - he is pretty excited :D

Allen Neighbors
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I can only wish that my 4 sons had expressed interest in woodworking. And now that I'm turning, I wish my Grandkids lived closer. You are indeed fortunate! :)
Go for it! The time you spend with your child will always be a fond memory in his older years.

Dean Thomas
11-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Go Greg!!

Forgot to mention that last year's pres of our local turners' chapter has taught all of his grandkids to turn. The youngest is 5, blond and sweet and about as scattered as kids come. She was able to pay attention for the 5 minutes necessary to turn her blank round and make a couple of grooves. That was enough for her, but grandpa reported that she did it, and that both of them were safe at the end! ;)

Greg Just
12-01-2007, 4:00 PM
Well my son Jon turned his first pen today and he did a pretty good job - what do you think?

Pete Jordan
12-01-2007, 4:30 PM
I think he did a great job and you need another lathe!

Dennis Peacock
12-01-2007, 4:51 PM
I started my next to the youngest son doing small turning stuff at age 10 and now he's turning bowls and giving them as gifts to his friends. I need to get him a Jet Mini one of these days. :)

Jon Lanier
12-01-2007, 4:51 PM
Excellent! You tell him he got a great pen there! And tell him he's got a good name with an excellent spelling. :cool:

He looks like he's going to jump out of his skin, he's so excited.

-Jon

Jude Kingery
12-01-2007, 5:14 PM
Bravo, Greg! That's great and he did a fine job! I think the guys are right, you're going to need two lathes, now, ha! Way to go! Jude

Tim A. Mitchell
12-02-2007, 2:25 AM
Looks good. I wish I would have had (and taken) the chance to spend more time with my elders that were woodworking. I hope he continues to learn from you.

Tom Sherman
12-02-2007, 6:49 AM
Gregg, I think he did a fine job I'm sure your proud of him as you should be.

John Hart
12-02-2007, 9:01 AM
Way to go Jon!!! Now steal the lathe from dad. ;):D