PDA

View Full Version : Gluing up black walnut?

Craig D Peltier
11-26-2007, 8:06 PM
I know its an oily wood, any suggestions on glue type, does it need to be a special kind? 2.5 thick table top thats 48x96.

Thanks

Tom Cowie
11-26-2007, 8:22 PM
I used Poly glue on a 3" slab and didn't like the results.:mad: So I switched back to the normal TB2 and glued it back together. It's been on one of our kitchen cabinets for 10 years now with no problems. Sometimes I use the Dark Walnut color glues but I have never seen any benefit other than color.

Tom

Jesse Cloud
11-26-2007, 8:37 PM
Not to worry. I use a lot of walnut and have used TB I, II, and III and Extend - depending on what was at hand or on sale - never had a problem.

glenn bradley
11-26-2007, 8:57 PM
The walnut I get is not oily enough to be a problem. YMMV. I have used TBII and never had a problem except for a joint I overtightened the clamps on and starved (the cherry failed too), oops. I would not be concerned. If you want, you could give the surface to be glued a wipe with DNA but again, I have not had a problem with walnut on the left coast.

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 9:07 PM
I've never had any issue with walnut...I just use PVA like I do for any other species I work with.

Jeff Raymond
11-27-2007, 6:59 AM
I just glued up some blocks for turning with Elmer's last night and we'll see how it works. They are laminated with maple (more porous). If it all comes apart at 1,000 RPM I'll know it didn't work.

Don L Johnson
11-27-2007, 9:33 AM
I working on a table myself; I used Titebond Dark. So far, no problems.

Don Johnson

Craig D Peltier
11-27-2007, 9:45 AM
Thanks, I have a gallon of elmers wood that I got as a gift. The project can afford me to buy a bottle of titebond.
My dads favorite wood to work with is Black Walnut. I remember him telling me it was oily. He hasnbt worked with it in maybe 20yrs. Hes on the Right coast.

Thanks again

Jesse Cloud
11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks, I have a gallon of elmers wood that I got as a gift. The project can afford me to buy a bottle of titebond.
My dads favorite wood to work with is Black Walnut. I remember him telling me it was oily. He hasnbt worked with it in maybe 20yrs. Hes on the Right coast.

Thanks again

The Elmers should work fine!

Bob Oehler
11-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi There:
On top of what has already been said about TBI, II, III, I have used both titebond hide glue and traditional hide glue and have never had a problem.
Good luck with your glue up's

Bob Oehler

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I never thought of walnut as oily. Have always used any old glue that I happened to have all the way years back to white elmer's was what there was up to today with the yellow glues. Never had any issues.

Maloof uses lots of white glue and says about walnut that it is about he most cooperative wood of all of 'em.