PDA

View Full Version : glass engaving

Don Necaise
11-26-2007, 7:37 PM
Can anyone help? I laser engraved on some wine glasses and tried to use gold rub and buff and did not have any luck making it come out like I wanted . Does anyone have any Tips the will share? Yhanks

Larry Bratton
11-26-2007, 7:41 PM
Can anyone help? I laser engraved on some wine glasses and tried to use gold rub and buff and did not have any luck making it come out like I wanted . Does anyone have any Tips the will share? Yhanks
Don't know exactly what you wanted, but I have never been too keen on Rub n Buff either. Maybe some of our esteemed members will enlighten you and me. :)

Scott Shepherd
11-26-2007, 8:30 PM
That makes 3 of us. I heard nothing but "Use rub-n-buff" and it'll look amazing. Every time I try it, I end up with it all over me, all over everything else, and a shotty looking job on the fill.

I know a lot of people swear by it, but darned if I can figure it out. I thought time and experience would help, so I tried it again about a month ago. Nope. Same crappy luck with it as before.

Stephen Beckham
11-26-2007, 9:16 PM
I keep five different colors - but honestly - never use anything but the Gold color. Seems like all the rest rub right out of glass.

The only time I've gotten the black to work was on plain white ceramic mugs. The Blue, Silver and Red haven't made me happy on any surface.

Also - I don't use solid black where I want to fill. I take it down to 70 or 80% Grey. You've got to have some unetched surface in between the diviots to get them to keep the r&b. A solid black line ecthed won't hold, most of it will wipe out.

My 2 cents - if you don't have a specific need for it - don't waste your time with it. If you've got $4 bucks to blow - get a tube and play.

Don't let the five year old get it! :eek:

Skip Weiser
11-26-2007, 9:55 PM
I was going to order some Rub-N-Buff and try it, but now I think I'll pass.

I've been etching flat glass ornaments lately and I haven't tried this yet but I thought I'd run this past you folks first. Why not mask the back of an ornament, or whatever, etch with the text mirrored, then lightly spray paint the etched area with Krylon in the color of your choice. Would that work? Anyone tried this? Thanks.

Sorry, I see the original post was about wine glasses. This probably wouldn't work very well for something like that, but what about something that can be etched from the back, like ornaments or glass?