PDA

View Full Version : cutting acrylic mirror

George Elston
11-26-2007, 6:23 PM
Well with the mention of Cake toppers, I did a few samples in clear acrylic and took them to a local cake supply company. They went nuts over them and said they have constant requests for initials cut from mirrored acrylic and have no good supplier. Well I of course promised samples tomorrow and stopped and got some mirrored acrylic on the way home to show them. Problem is when I cut the letters I am getting crazing on the edge. That is the mirroring is flaking and the edge from the front side does not look clean. Have tried different settings, but if I lower the power enough to not get the crazing it won't cut through. Before I waste the rest of the little samples I got any suggestions. Should I have left the backing on?

Steve McKee
11-26-2007, 6:28 PM
George, I think you hit the nail on the head, leave the backing on. Always seems to work better for me at least.

Steve

Joe Pelonio
11-26-2007, 6:43 PM
I not only leave on the backing but out transfer tape on the back, and cut the mirror image with the back side up.

George Elston
11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Beautiful Ya'll. One of these days I'll learn to ask before I try something new. But where's the fun in that? If I had more to play with I'd probably still be butchering it. But my supplier gave me a couple of scraps and said remember where you BUY this, so I was running out of material.

Thanks as always

Mike Null
11-27-2007, 6:44 AM
George

I use 1/8" mirrored acrylic from Delvies and engrave and cut without any mask on the mirror side (I leave the plastic on the front). I never have any problem with cracking or crazing.

I did have the mirror finish chip when I used another brand from Johnson Plastics.

Sandra Force
11-27-2007, 6:01 PM
I cut a lot of acrylic mirror and have found that not all types are equal. If you can get Marine Grade acrylic mirror you will have better luck and less crazing and scratches. I always cut from the back and use the same power and speed that I do on luan or thin fibergalss. That works out to be same speed and 1/2 the power of cutting 1/16 plastic laminate. If you have trouble with check marks in the edges either cut you power back to just cutting through or do like I do and set the mirror 1/4" above the table with shims and then cut. If you do this be sure to precut a template for the shims so you aren't putting them in the cut line.;)

Ed Maloney
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
George

I use 1/8" mirrored acrylic from Delvies and engrave and cut without any mask on the mirror side (I leave the plastic on the front). I never have any problem with cracking or crazing.

I did have the mirror finish chip when I used another brand from Johnson Plastics.

Mike - I noticed that the Delvies material is extruded. A custom is asking for this material, but I thought cast was the only way to go? Any problems with extruded?

Ed

Brian Robison
08-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Ed, the only mirror I've ever found is extruded.
I just finished 50 mirrored license plates with no problems. Leave the mask on the front, cut with the face down and make sure to use an acrylic vector grid.

Ed Maloney
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Mark.

Ed

James Aldrich
08-13-2008, 11:52 AM
When cutting acrylic mirror or acrylic in general, I put a piece of scrap paper under the acrylic before cutting. Its also a good way to see if you are using too much power. If you have a paper jigsaw puzzle when your done, than your using too much power. If the paper is perferated or lightly burnt, you should be good. This has eliminated the check or flash back marks on the edges, and has given me a good idea if my speed / power settings are good. It also helps me dispose of all the junk mail I get. Best of all, its free.
Jim

Nick Napier
08-14-2008, 2:20 PM
Hello Brian, I saw that you do mirrored licience plates. Would care to share how you make thoes. Do you raster a message from the back and cut to size. Possibly a pic of one of your creations.

Thanks Nick Napier

Brian Robison
08-14-2008, 2:59 PM
Hi Nick,
Most of the time it's by cutting out a back piece from acrylic with 6" double sided tape already applied (so that it cuts exactly to the shape of a blank plate).
Then you cut out the mirror in reverse.
Then you cut out the shape you want inlayed.
You peal the tape off the back, fit on the mirror front,
and place the inlayed shapes in.

Brian Robison
08-14-2008, 3:03 PM
Hmm, lets try again. Look at this thread for examples.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84215

Nick Napier
08-15-2008, 8:52 PM
Hi Brian, I've read your directions several times and I'm not quite getting it. Are there two layers? With a cavity cut out of the top layer to match the mirror that fits into it and held in place with tape?:confused: I would really like to understand. I'm sure it's not your directions, I'm a little bit off the beaten path tonight.

Nick