PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Used Epilog Radius Please Help

Shane Gould
11-26-2007, 6:22 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the site and laser engraving. My budget doesn't allow for a new engraver, but I found a used Epilog Radius in my price range. Any problem area's on this particular model that I should watch out for? Anybody else have a Radius and can share their experince/knowledge with me? This is just going to be used for hobby to start so I'm not needing anything top of the line. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

Joe Pelonio
11-26-2007, 6:51 PM
Those were designed for Windows 95/98, whether they run on XP and/or Vista needs to be verified. Also, last time this came up the Epilog Rep (a member here) said that they still support the Radius, but I would call them to make sure since that was a while back. Also check on replacement tube price.

Do you have any information on service records for it, especially the date of last new tube?

Dave West
11-26-2007, 9:45 PM
A few months ago I purchased a used Profile (smaller version of the Radius). There is a driver on Epilog's site that works with Win2k and XP.
My Profile is almost 8 years old and is still running strong. A few things need to be tweaked and the belts could stand to be replaced but all in all, I'm quite happy. Check it out carefully before you buy a used machine. Parts for these older machines are getting expensive/scarce.
Good Luck.

Dave

Dean Flannery
11-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a 98 Radius 25 watt running windows XP.

You can get a lot of parts and replacement laser tubes from Access Business Solutions www.usedlasers.com (http://www.usedlasers.com) and directly from Epilog.

Recharged tubes run @ $1200 and the tubes are made by Synrad Laser Co. here in the US.

The only problem I have run into is when using print imposition layout but is easy to get around, probably be a while before you get that far.

Jeanette Brewer
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Shane,

Your best bet would be to get the serial number from the seller and run that serial number past the tech support dept. at Epilog -- just to be sure you're getting the machine that's being advertised.

They'll also be able to tell you if it's still running on the original tube or not.

HTH

Shane Gould
11-27-2007, 2:01 PM
Thanks Everybody....I will let you know what I decide to do:)

Shane Gould
11-29-2007, 6:15 AM
I have decided to continue looking at other used lasers. Anybody that knows of any is welcome to PM me with the info.

Thanks, for everybodies input.

Shane

Shane Gould
11-30-2007, 4:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm still looking at the Epilog Radius machine. I know it is able to be run on XP software from the Epilog site, and the tube is one that can still be recharged. Anyway, my question is mainly about software. Is this older (1997) software going to be a big set-back? Can I still engrave just as detailed images with this older software or does it limit me? What things can I not do with this older software that you can do with the more modern revisions?

Thanks,

Shane

Dave West
11-30-2007, 5:29 PM
By older software do mean the driver? My Profile is running the WinXP driver with no problems. Thats the only software the laser runs on (unless your talking firmware ...don't know if that's upgradable).
Anyway running CorelX3 with a 2" lens I believe I can do just about anything most other machines of comparable power out there can do. Of course being an older machine I don't have the nice extras like air assist ( I'll add that later) or a red pointer, but for $3K, I'm happy.

Dave

Shane Gould
12-01-2007, 3:59 AM
Dave, I guess that I am talking about drivers....I guess my question relates to the things like engraving different depths based on colors/grayscale and other features like that. The does the older generation of software have the same abilities as the newer software?

Thanks,

By older software do mean the driver? My Profile is running the WinXP driver with no problems. Thats the only software the laser runs on (unless your talking firmware ...don't know if that's upgradable).
Anyway running CorelX3 with a 2" lens I believe I can do just about anything most other machines of comparable power out there can do. Of course being an older machine I don't have the nice extras like air assist ( I'll add that later) or a red pointer, but for $3K, I'm happy.

Dave

Dave West
12-01-2007, 9:17 AM
Shane,

Not having the newer driver I can't make a comparison. Best thing to do would be to call Epilog tech suppport. As far as engraving different depths based on greyscale, the driver will do that using the photograph setting under Raster. This is also called 3D engraving. To get decent results be prepared to spend some time editing the image for a good range of contrasts.
My driver will also allow you to assign different power/speed rates based on color. I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the driver is lacking in the essentials when compared to the newer ones.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
12-01-2007, 2:29 PM
The newer lasers apparently will vary the 'power' with the gray density, allowing 3-d, the older ones will not.. You 'may' be able to vary the vector power using assigned colours.. I know Epilog is not going to sit down and update a driver/firmware for a older machine, but I would certainly pay to have some of the features that are not available only one model back..(legend-TT to mini) Like bottom to top engraving for one.. And I'm sure a number of others would too..

Dave West
12-01-2007, 3:10 PM
Bill,
The Radius driver (the one I use for my Profile) will do 3D. Send it a greyscale photo, chose Photo in the raster setings and it will vary the power based on greyscale areas of the image. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
12-01-2007, 3:46 PM
Are you sure it's actually varying the power (real wattage up, and down according the the level of gray i.e black 100% power, 50%gray = 50% power or what ever ratio they actually use to decide the power level ) , and not just the result of the darker the shade the closer the dots, and therefore the more burn due to the overlapping dots?

Dave West
12-01-2007, 5:55 PM
Good question... I'll check it out when I get home tomorrow.

Dave