PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Snakewood

Ed Maloney
11-26-2007, 5:24 PM
A fellow Creeker from my area has asked me to engrave pens that his daughter turned. It's made of snakewood and it looks pretty dark to me so I'm wondering about the resulting contrast.

Anyone ever try to engrave snakewood?

Gary Hair
11-26-2007, 5:41 PM
I have never engraved snakewood but most dark woods I engrave, walnut, etc., look really nice with paint fill. Make sure they have a really good, even finish on them and paint filling is a breeze.

Gary

Nancy Laird
11-26-2007, 6:08 PM
I have never engraved snakewood but most dark woods I engrave, walnut, etc., look really nice with paint fill. Make sure they have a really good, even finish on them and paint filling is a breeze.

Gary

Agreed, and use acrylic paint in bright gold or silver to match the dress on the pen. Silver fill with chrome parts looks really snazzy. I just did three over the weekend like that.

Nancy (25 days)

Tom Radachi
11-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Be very very careful Ed. I also turn pens and such and it's well known that Snakewood has a tremendous tendancy to crack. It may not crack right away, but there's a terrific chance it will before too long. I just don't want folks coming back to you and blaming your engraving for cracks that more than likely will appear down the road.

(Finally I can contribute something worthwhile here!:D)

Ed Maloney
11-27-2007, 4:38 PM
Thanks for the opinions folks!