PDA

View Full Version : CorelDraw X3 Question

Gregg Vaughn
11-26-2007, 4:50 PM
I'm back with another Corel quandry. I have been creating line art vector images in Corel X3. I don't think I've found the right way to connect lines completely to allow the connected lines to become an object where you can color fill them.

I have been enlarging the image to where I can attach the end nodes, but that is tedious and does not always work. I've tried "snap to object" in the view mode and selecting the constructed object and "welding" it, but that did not work. I'm guessing there is an easy way to get this done that I have not figured out yet.

Say you want to make a simple closed shape by connecting several lines, then color fill it. How do you get this done easily?

Vicky Orsini
11-26-2007, 5:08 PM
Not sure if this will help your particular situation, but after connecting your nodes, have you tried "Arrange", then "Close Path", then "Closest Nodes with Straight Lines"? Or, select both objects by "shift + click", then "Arrange" and "Combine", again, once you've connected your nodes?

HTH! :)

Mike Mackenzie
11-26-2007, 7:13 PM
Greg,

If your lines are close you can use the smart fill tool in X3. This tool will allow you to fill an area that does not have all the nodes closed. Once it fills the area it creates a separate closed vector path. If it does not fill then that means that one or more nodes are to far apart.

Try it it works really good and its easy.

It is the six tool down from the top of the tool bar right under the freehand tool. Be sure that your image is not grouped.

Larry Bratton
11-26-2007, 7:37 PM
I'm back with another Corel quandry. I have been creating line art vector images in Corel X3. I don't think I've found the right way to connect lines completely to allow the connected lines to become an object where you can color fill them.

I have been enlarging the image to where I can attach the end nodes, but that is tedious and does not always work. I've tried "snap to object" in the view mode and selecting the constructed object and "welding" it, but that did not work. I'm guessing there is an easy way to get this done that I have not figured out yet.

Say you want to make a simple closed shape by connecting several lines, then color fill it. How do you get this done easily?
Gregg:
What tool are you using to create the shapes? If you use the Polyline, Pen or Bezier tools you can end up with a closed vector path very easily. Once you have that closed path you can fill it. Their is also a tool called the Smart Drawing Tool (on the same icon as the Smart Fill tool that you can use to draw freehand shapes and it automatically closes the path and makes an object. Try these out and see if they don't help. Good luck!

Roy Brewer
11-26-2007, 9:14 PM
I don't think I've found the right way to connect lines completely to allow the connected lines to become an object where you can color fill them.Gregg,
This is somewhat an extension of Larry's suggestion to create your object as a closed shape from the beginning. I'm well aware of several circumstances where this would not be applicable, but in case it is, for a limited time there is a tutorial on YouTube that will show you how to create *any* shape object as a closed shape. I'd be very interested if you find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyRu_hSUW8&feature=user

Oops! Edited to correct the above link

Larry Bratton
11-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Gregg,
This is somewhat an extension of Larry's suggestion to create your object as a closed shape from the beginning. I'm well aware of several circumstances where this would not be applicable, but in case it is, for a limited time there is a tutorial on YouTube that will show you how to create *any* shape object as a closed shape. I'd be very interested if you find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPUP7yqBno
Roy:
Fantastic! YouTube is a great place. Thanks for posting this great information and doing the tutorials.

Bill Cunningham
11-27-2007, 8:19 PM
I'm using 12 right now, and as far back as I can remember there was a command in the options someplace that will automatically connect your nodes if they are close enough..
But I initiated that command a long time ago, and now I don't have to worry about it.. The problem is, I can't remember back far enough to remember just how to do it, this is becoming more and more common, and it's not nice to mock the afflicted :D

Gregg Vaughn
11-28-2007, 8:46 AM
Thanks everyone ... I'll play with all your suggestions and continue to learn about Corel. The Youtube video was great and I now understand the bezier tool a lot more than I did (which was pretty much not at all).
I also found the tools under ARRANGE, however, they were not highlighted when my picture was selected.

As always, the knowledge of all the folks at the Creek is the best tool I have.