PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Equipment (Dust Collector)

alex grams
11-26-2007, 2:53 PM
I am looking at a dust collector, and this is advertised in a local used board for 175$. what are some things that people would recommend looking at to see if there are any problems with it? (IE: motor running hot).

I notice this is a 1994 model. A well made piece of equipment can last a long time, but are there any chronic problems with these? This was used for a garage shop a guy had, so it didn't receive a lot of abuse, though I am waiting to look at it and hook it up to confirm.

Also, worst case, i look at replacing the motor if it doesn't live that long. Does anyone know where to price a used motor for the DC1200 (assuming that this is the actual model number, I am awaiting confirmation). Also, i can't seem to find a listing for just the canister for the DC1200, anyone have a link for that also?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Spear
11-26-2007, 3:57 PM
I don't think I would buy a 13-year-old, 2 hp dust collector for $175. There are too many good deals that come up periodically on good dust collectors that are new and have warranties. Even the Harbor Freight dust collector (I have one, and it's been working fine for two years now) can often be bought for less than $175. You have to buy decent bags or a Wynn filter to make it work properly, but you may have to do that with the used Jet anyway. At least then you know what you have. Also, other brands (Delta, Jet, Penn State) are available for reasonable prices. Maybe I would give $75 for the used one, but only if I saw that it worked well.

alex grams
11-26-2007, 4:05 PM
13 years old doesn't seem like it (94 didn't seem like that long ago either)

I am just trying to find a DC that can give me good (<5micron) filtration, pull about 1000cfm, and stay under 300$ (which is turning out to be a little tough).

Thanks for the advice.

hmm..

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 4:07 PM
Alex, it's likely a very good machine...the DC1200 has been a staple for a long time and you can certainly update the filtration. But I agree, $175 is pushing the limit for a machine that "old"...negotiate... ;)

Ron Blaise
11-26-2007, 4:11 PM
Only mine was bought new in 2000. I would check the impeller to see if it has cracks or any dings, have him power it up to check pull and motor noise when it's under a load. If all that checks out, offer him 75 to 100 bucks and use it. A lot of people really don't use their collectors enough to wear them out. Who knows, you might get a good deal. I converted mine to a canister filter and really improved it's performance. You could even use the unit to build your own turbine.