PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Templates

Chris Jenkins
11-26-2007, 1:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction.

I really need a set of bowl templates, at least that is what I am calling them. What I really mean by this is the circles that you use as a template to rough cut the bowl blanks from logs. I would like to get some made out of plastic. Does anyone know if someone makes these? I tried Woodcraft and Lee Valley and didn't see anything. Any suggestions?

I know I could make some out of luan or light ply, but I'm feeling lazy on this one.

Thanks,

Chris

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 2:11 PM
I've only every seen shop-made "circle guides" (my word...)

Pete Jordan
11-26-2007, 2:15 PM
I just made mine out of cardboard. I don't have to worry if I nick one.

Don Orr
11-26-2007, 2:31 PM
Mine are made from various materials-cardboard, thin plywood, hardboard-whatever I had around (bad pun I know). I made them in 1" increments from 6" up to 12". I need to make some bigger since I got a bigger lathe, which was about 4 years ago:o. I am a master procratinator.:eek:

Alex Elias
11-26-2007, 3:23 PM
Here is it http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Measuring___Layout___Layout_Template___layout_temp late?Args=
I'm lazy too, so I already know where to get when I need it.
Alex

Glenn Hodges
11-26-2007, 4:41 PM
Chris, I only use them on natural edge bowl blanks. I have different sizes cut from cardboard. I drew them with the help of a large compass, and they range in sizes from about 10 inches up to about 15 inches. I nail the center of one of these on a bowl blank and go around it with the bandsaw. This saves me from buying anything.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2007, 7:22 PM
Chris go to your appliance dealer and get a dishwasher box or Refrig box. You can make dozens of them out of that and they are fairly heavy duty.

Julie Tanner
11-26-2007, 7:24 PM
I made some out of hardboard. Didn't want to spend the money on something I could actually make.

Dale Gregory
11-26-2007, 7:39 PM
I used carryout pizza platters, just ask for few when eating out. I too nail the center and use it as a template. Just stay a 1/4" or so from the edge so you don't ruin it.

Chris Jenkins
11-26-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks for everyone's quick reply's I never thought of using some heavy duty cardboard. I just knew I was going the lazy route by not making a circle jig for the bandsaw. I have access to some good cardboard. I guess I'm gonna have to get my compass and knife out.

Thanks again,

Chris

Julie Tanner
11-26-2007, 8:24 PM
LOL

compass and bandsaw