PDA

View Full Version : Shelix cutterhead on a pm180 or pm225 planer

Guy Harshbarger
11-26-2007, 1:01 PM
:confused: I have a PM180 planer and want to install a byrd/shelix cutterhead. I'm not much of a mechanic and would really appreciate any input from those who are experienced at such matters. I've spoken with the folks at Byrd Mfg. and they tell me the PM 180/225 planers are a little different than "generic" 4-post planers and they have no addidional info for that particular application. Can anyone help?

Thanks to all at the Creek! :)

James Boster
11-26-2007, 4:30 PM
I don't think the install would be awhole lot different. I have a Powermatic 225 and it appears that removing the head would not be too troublesome. the $3800 price for the Byrd head IS troublesome for me. go to owwm.com and download a manual and exploded view of your planer.

Lee Hingle
11-26-2007, 4:39 PM
Amazing what poeple will tell you on the phone, huh?

This link is from the BYRD WEB SITE:

http://byrdtool.com/powm201.html

It is a step by step instruction for their model 201 (22") planer. It should be similar to what you have. Byrd is right, the instruction manual is quite different from the taiwanese 4-post planers.

Good luck,
Lee

Chris Rosenberger
11-26-2007, 9:25 PM
I installed a Terminus quick change head in my Powermatic 180. It was alot of work. Take alot of pictures before you start taking the planer apart.

Gary Herrmann
11-26-2007, 10:06 PM
My General 140 is of a similar design. I didn't take pictures, but I did put the pieces down in order of their removal. Made a couple mistakes along the way, but it came out fine. If you're concerned about time, give yourself a 4-6 hour block of time. The manuals Byrd has on their site are for typical 4 posters, but they will be somewhat helpful to see the order of steps.

Try calling Powermatic or maybe check OWWM for help/manuals. Or maybe try bribing a mechanically knowledgeable friend or neighbor.

Rob Will
11-27-2007, 2:28 AM
I have that head in my PM225. I'm happy with it. Very quiet.

No idea about the install because mine was installed by the previous owner.

Rob