PDA

View Full Version : Tongue and Groove - Woodmaster 718

Rob Pope
11-26-2007, 9:12 AM
Hi Everyone ... I am new and really green.

Have a new Woodmaster 718 and have currently only used the planer.

My friend has a large quantity of 4" wide 15/16" thick (planed) hardwood (ash, yellow/black birch, white oak). This was rough cut with his sawmill so the edges are not 100% straight and he wants to do tongue and groove flooring for his kitchen (400-500 sq ft).

We have thought of a few options:
1. joint 1 edge then table saw to width
2. rip one side and then the other on the table saw (1/4" off both sides)
3. use the rip attachement with the 718 and take 1/4" off both sides

Suggestions / recommendations ?

Thanks in Advance, Rob

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 9:22 AM
Will the rip attatchment do both sides the same time? Sure would be a time saver and also get consistent widths.
Gary

Rob Pope
11-26-2007, 9:26 AM
Will the rip attatchment do both sides the same time? Sure would be a time saver and also get consistent widths.
Gary

Yes it will

Bryan Wilson
11-26-2007, 9:31 AM
Rob
you didn't say if you were going to do the T&G on your 718 but if you are be aware that if you do much it will damage the infeed and outfeed rollers by running the 3/4" in the same spot. I found out the hard way years ago when I ran treated 1x4's for porch flooring before it was available locally.
The Woodmaster did a great job but sure didn't like the damaged area on the rollers.
Just my 2 cents worth
Bryan

Rob Pope
11-26-2007, 9:37 AM
Rob
you didn't say if you were going to do the T&G on your 718 but if you are be aware that if you do much it will damage the infeed and outfeed rollers by running the 3/4" in the same spot. I found out the hard way years ago when I ran treated 1x4's for porch flooring before it was available locally.
The Woodmaster did a great job but sure didn't like the damaged area on the rollers.
Just my 2 cents worth
Bryan

Yes, I was planning on using the 718 to do the tongue and groove and was planning on trying to keep the wear consistent on the rollers by moving it around.

How much damage ? What did it look like ?
How many lineal ft did you put through ?

Thanks, Rob