PDA

View Full Version : Norm's best work and/or what you've learned from NYW

Scott Kilroy
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
As a follow up to this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69763
and an attempt to focus on the positive, please post what you think was the most impressive thing Norm has done, or any comments about something you learned from watching NYW.

I'll start with saying that although not the thing that most people might pick, I personally liked the Deluxe Router Station for no other reason then that it reminded me that I should put the same level of quality into things I build for my shop as I do for items I make for others. Before seeing that episode my own router table was functional but pretty embarrassing. I'm now working on a design similar to Norm's but suited for my own needs.

Bill Wyko
11-26-2007, 12:42 AM
The highboy was a real beauty. I also liked an end table I saw him do recently. The teak lounge chair I saw this week was very nice too but have you priced Teak lately?:eek: I built my kitchen out of teak about 9 years ago and even back then it was 14 bucks a BF. That chair had to be at least a few hundred bucks.

Cody Colston
11-26-2007, 2:25 AM
I like many of the pieces that Norm has built but the bonnet topped highboy has to be the most impressive.

My favorite, however is the blanket chest. I've built a half-dozen of those from various woods and consider it my first legitimate woodworking project. I've added a few embellishments along the way such as coved feet and a frame & panel lid. Everyone that I've made one for simply loves it.

Earl Reid
11-26-2007, 7:46 AM
I have been a Norm fan from the start. most of his projects don't interest me, but I watch. I have made 17 of his candle tables, I think it was his 2nd project. they are given as wedding gifts et Most were made of cherry, walnut and maple. I also made Martha's bird gage table, I would like to meet him sometime??

Earl:)

Dennis Lindhorst
11-26-2007, 7:56 AM
I have been a fan of Norm's forever. I have made a boat load of his adirondack chairs- a few of the loveseats. My favorite's have been using his chair plan as a guide, but using old wooden water ski's- they are a big hit- if I could just find more ski's!

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 8:21 AM
I have been a fan of Norm's forever. I have made a boat load of his adirondack chairs- a few of the loveseats. My favorite's have been using his chair plan as a guide, but using old wooden water ski's- they are a big hit- if I could just find more ski's!
Yup, I also, made a bunch of his Adirondack chairs. I fondly remember going to this woodworking store ( been out of business for many years) to buy a jig saw. Well, these two guys who were working that day were experience woodworkers, and I was the only customer. One guy was showing me the virtues of using the top handle model. After awhile the other guy came over and he was a big fan of the barrel style model.
I was so impressed at the enthusiastic attitudes of these guys. This was back when the building trade was very slow and experienced guys
were everywhere in retail.(borg included)
15 years later, I still have the Bosch saw (barrel) and all the chairs are still functional. Man, I learned alot in those days. Seems everywhere I went there was experienced guys with great attitudes.
Gary

DougButterfield
11-26-2007, 8:36 AM
Thank you, first off, for starting a positive "Norm" thread. Just a few random thoughts....
1. Norm started NYW to show folks how to build simple furniture using simple methods. It has been wonderful to watch him over the many seasons of the show progress in his abilities and techniques.

2. Yes...it would be great if we all had the well equipped shop shown on NYW. But that shop is not Norm's...it's Russell's. If I went to Norm's house & saw his shop, I would not be shocked to see it looks like your normal basement shop with minimal equipment, some paint cans and such. I'd wager a bet that between TOH, NYW and all the home shows Norm attends, he has little time to spend in his own shop.

3. I don't watch NYW to build what Norm builds, but rather than to see "how" he builds it. The thoughts and jigs and techniques behind the pieces are more interesting to me than the pieces themselves.

4. I don't imagine Norm will be wanting to work much longer, and it'll be a sad day for me when he leaves the airwaves. He has a mass appeal that David Marks and others have been unable to duplicate. I would go so far as to say if Norm had not been one of the pioneers of home improvement TV, there would be no David Marks' to watch. Before NYW, my shop consisted of a toolbox and a workbench. After thinking about how much time and $$ I've invested since the first season of NYW, my wife probably wishes Norm had never had the opportunity to put the show on the air.

5. I've built the router table and love it. As I understand it, Norm's table was an adaption from AWW, but.....how many of you have built the same table, or some version of it based on the fact Norm popularized it...not because it was first shown in AWW? How many thousands and thousands of people have built "that" table? Just curious...

Carl Eyman
11-26-2007, 8:39 AM
Not only most impressive, but most attractive. I still think the Cowboy Furniture the most ugly - and that isn't Norm bashing. I've made at least five of his pieces, and am grateful to him for giving me the confidence to do other things, but the Cowboy piece is ugly to my eyes.

David Cramer
11-26-2007, 9:06 AM
As I said over and over in the "other thread", the Highboy, which is without a doubt a perfect example of finewoodworking, regardless:) of the finish that was put on it.

The guy is a total class act (so is David Marks, he just hasn't been around as long and is not on PBS, so a much lesser audience has seen his shows). I had the pleasure of meeting Norm years ago, and he was as genuine as a guy could be. Willing to share and actually "ask" questions at the same time while autographing a photo. He can build anything from a great looking shed to a gazebo to a highboy classic! That is versatility and skill combined in a wide range of areas. Check out the interview on Popular Woodworkings website. Pretty darn inspiring, to me anyways.

Dave

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 9:12 AM
The most impressive was definitely the highboy. My favorite project is the Adirondack chairs including the updated version...I'm glad I made templates as it's nearly time to make some more. The first two I made are now over 8 years old and pretty much at the end of life.

The two projects, however, that I think have some of the broadest appeal in our community are the router table (and it's update) and the one that too many folks forget about, the two-part jigs episode. That latter one is worth a mint. Build even one of them, and you've paid for the plans. That's especially true of the shelf-pin jig that emulates the very expensive MEG we've all seen Norm use on the show.

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 9:14 AM
. I still think the Cowboy Furniture the most ugly - and that isn't Norm bashing. I've made at least five of his pieces, and am grateful to him for giving me the confidence to do other things, but the Cowboy piece is ugly to my eyes.
Sheeeeez Carl....We have already done YOUR thread.;):) Sorry, my coffee has kicked in now. Guess I need more patience in the morning. :>)

Gary

Leland Berry
11-26-2007, 10:17 AM
:)Norm's best work has been his inspiration to the thousands who
tune-in whether for a re-run or a new show. I care less whether he
makes cowboy furniture or a cowboy corral. His special honesty &
manner are special, and in an era of "pitchmen", it is truly reality
television. The lessons and "tricks" have been important to me. I
hope he has made a ton of $$$--but you cannot detect that from
his manner. Yes it will be a sad day when he "hangs-it-up". He, &
few others have presented their craft honestly, without hucksters
and the carnivalesque TV that has worn so thin. So thanks Nom.
Hang in there. You can build all the cowboy furniture you want as
far as I'm concerned.

Jerry Olexa
11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
The Highboy was the best IMHO...But I've learned a lot from Norm. He's very skilled as has great "hands on" experience in both carpentry and finer WWing. But I've learned he's human with some areas that I don't really agree with i.e., too many brads that show, the finishing techniques, etc. BUT, overall the man and his show are excellent when viewed in total. None of us are perfect and I've learned also from him there are more than 1 "correct" way to do a wwing task. just MHO.

Curt Harms
11-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank you, first off, for starting a positive "Norm" thread. Just a few random thoughts....

3. I don't watch NYW to build what Norm builds, but rather than to see "how" he builds it. The thoughts and jigs and techniques behind the pieces are more interesting to me than the pieces themselves.

4. I don't imagine Norm will be wanting to work much longer, and it'll be a sad day for me when he leaves the airwaves. He has a mass appeal that David Marks and others have been unable to duplicate. I would go so far as to say if Norm had not been one of the pioneers of home improvement TV, there would be no David Marks' to watch. Before NYW, my shop consisted of a toolbox and a workbench. After thinking about how much time and $$ I've invested since the first season of NYW, my wife probably wishes Norm had never had the opportunity to put the show on the air.

Hey Doug

Although my significant other hasn't said a word and has encouraged purchases, I agree fully with you observations. I had never done any woodworking before watching Norm, and our first project was a bed wall done on the kitchen island with a plastic Skil saw and home center tools. We're still using it. We had to buy a new house in order to have room for a shop. Talk about expensive:D. It's worth it though:).

Curt

Jim O'Dell
11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
What I've learned is that there is nothing more important to safety than these, your safety glasses. :D

I'm not far enough along to really build things he shows. I do try to soak in the different methods he uses to reach a goal, so that maybe I'll remember some of them later on when I need them. His shows on building case work, and the 2 part show on routers were very interesting to me from an information stand point, because that is where I'm at and headed in the near future. Jim..

Eric DeSilva
11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm probably more of a David Marks fan--I just like seeing how impressive pieces get put together.

But, if we are tallying Norm's contributions... The everpresent "and remember, there is no more important safety rule than wearing your safety glasses" is something, due to sheer repetition, that flows through my head whenever I wander into my shop.

Eric DeSilva
11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Dang Jim--you must have beat me to the punch by seconds!

Eric McGill
11-26-2007, 1:04 PM
My 5 year old and I watch it together. I think his favorite part is the safety lecture. He always echos "safety glassess" right after Norm says it. If I pause the show and come back to it later, my son it concerned when Norm seems to get to work without giving the safety lecture first.

I too don't care much about what he builds, I just love watching him do it. How can you not love his unassuming style. He also packs a lot into his shows. I get someone annoyed with other shows that feel the need to recap the previous steps after every break.

My son is excited whenever he sees "the wood guy".

Rod Sheridan
11-26-2007, 1:21 PM
I think the best thing about Norm is his enthusiasm, and the number of people he has motivated to take up woodworking.

The availability of woodworking tools and supplies is probably partially due to his popularisation of woodworking as a hobby.

The worst things about Norm in my opinion?

- no guard on the tablesaw

- too many nails driven through the front of whatever he's building

- too much polyurethane, give it a rest Norm, develop some more refined techinques.

That said, I almost always watch Norm, and of course Roy Underhill..............Regards, Rod.

Scott Kilroy
11-26-2007, 1:45 PM
What I've learned is that there is nothing more important to safety than these, your safety glasses. :D

I'm not far enough along to really build things he shows. I do try to soak in the different methods he uses to reach a goal, so that maybe I'll remember some of them later on when I need them. His shows on building case work, and the 2 part show on routers were very interesting to me from an information stand point, because that is where I'm at and headed in the near future. Jim..

I've helped a few friends setup home-shops and regardless of what they're doing (woodworking, electronics, metalworking) I give them each a framed printout of the "Norm safety speech". My (7 year old) daughter caught me in my shop without my safety glasses and recited the entire speech (I'm not sure but her mother might have coached her).

Mike Jory
11-26-2007, 3:29 PM
This thread is good reading. Been watching Norm from the beginning. What I gained most from watching him was the challange to myself that "ya know, I think I could do that." Earlier this year I made the large Tilt Top table with the turned center column. Even built the jig to dove tail the center column for the three legs.
I wish Norm wouldn't use the molder, that's one tool I'll probably never get. I'm also glad he doesn't have a shaper.
I always keep a rotation of 5 or so shows on tape, so I can watch when I need inspiration.

Norman Pyles
11-26-2007, 7:21 PM
Like I said in the other thread, Norm's best has to be the highboy, or the fact that he built two highboy's. After watching that show, I think ol Norm could build about anthing he wants. After all, he may not be the best woodworker in the world, but he may be the best paid.;)

John A. Williams
11-26-2007, 7:39 PM
I love watching Norm. I even met him a couple of years ago. Great guy. My favorite project has got to be the sailboat. I've always wanted to build that. Maybe some day.
John

Joe Mioux
11-26-2007, 8:00 PM
The High boy,

The two part jigs show was just on yesterday morning. Great show.

I know he has made a few tables before, but I would love to see him make a formal dining table. Yes, I know about the long formal dining table but that one doesn't seem all that practical to many homes.

A formal dining table with slides to expand and place extra leaves in would be fun. I don't recall ever seeing him make one of those.

Actually, now that I think about it, he could do a season or half on building furniture for one room such as a formal dining room, a living room etc.

just a thought (or two)

joe

Bob Genovesi
11-26-2007, 8:21 PM
I've enjoyed watching Norm for years.

Watching The New Yankee Workshop has revived the interest in woodworking for 10's of thousands of new wood butchers that will be satisfied with the simplest of projects to the more elaborate pieces worthy of the finest display. From simple to sophisticated Norm shows it all.

Whether it be Norm's shop or someone else's I like all the toys Norm has and I wish his shop was all mine! Come to think of it I'm not all that far behind....http://img126.exs.cx/img126/997/36_1_11.gif

Dennis Reardon
11-26-2007, 8:39 PM
I love Norm, he is just so affable you cannot resist watching him. I started watching close to fifteen years ago. Although my lifestyle in the past precluded my entry into the woodworking hobby Norm kept me interested and informed. As I watched those shows I tucked away those nuggets of experience into the back reaches of my brain.

Now, even though my shop is miniscule in size, (9.5 x 16.5) I have it stocked with quality tools I learned how to use by watching Norm. I vaugely remember the two part jig show since it was on during one of my finals weeks, but I do remember how simple, clever and effective some of those jigs were.

So I guess Norm has taught me a few things:

1. Always wear my safety glasses
2. You never have enough clamps
3. When it comes to a table saw its cabinent or bust, (damn portables anyway, forgive me Norm I tried).
4. Make full size templates whenever possible, (this is where I usually catch my mistakes).
5. Anything can be built in just 26 minutes DOH!

Carroll Courtney
11-26-2007, 8:55 PM
I will echo others about the high boy,but I also like the clocks he has made.I started out w/ a craftsman radial saw and thought that was the tool to have until it shot wood at me.I had no ideal about anything other than I just wanted to build cabinets for my woodframe house. Then I caught Norm on PBS,several yrs ago and have watch every show and every re-runs.With TIVO,it records them all.I am the type of person that has to be showed how to do something instead of explaining to.I'm getting better at my weekness though.I now can built things that I am proud of thanks to Norm.He is what makes that show,without him the show would go down hill.One of the other things that has help me out as a woodworker is this forum and others like it.Ask a question and you will get several different ideals and all are correct.Now if you want someone to talk about,how about Bob Villa:D

Bryan Berguson
11-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I have been a Norm fan from the start. most of his projects don't interest me, but I watch. I have made 17 of his candle tables, I think it was his 2nd project. they are given as wedding gifts et Most were made of cherry, walnut and maple. I also made Martha's bird gage table, I would like to meet him sometime??

Earl:)

Norm was at the American Woodworkers show in Plymoth Meeting 10 or 12 years ago. I beleive it was the first show they did. Anyways, my wife and I went. We waited in line about an hour or so (might have been 2) to meet him and get one of his books autographed. It was well worth it as he was very polite and actually took the time to talk to us. He was very genuine to say the least. We also met some interesting people while standing in line. One guy was a carpenter/woodworker on Broadway. Kind of neat.

Bryan

Gary Breckenridge
11-27-2007, 12:25 AM
:oI kind of like the cowboy furniture. Think how hard it is to create something new, different and using and symbolizing local materials that has artistic merit. I know it has limited appeal, but in a cabin in the mountains it would be quite a different story.:cool:

Fred Floyd
11-27-2007, 2:39 AM
I just finished the plantation shutters. This was the third "Norm" project. the others were the outdoor cupboard and the Deluxe Router Station.

Norm shows techniques that are a "demonstration, within a demonstration. The plantation shutters encouraged me to try HVLP spray painting, All through the project his explanations were very straight-forward. My complements to the video editors who often demonstrated a technique in 5 seconds or less.

Even non-woodworkers like to watch Norm -- just for the entertainment.

Matt Lentzner
11-27-2007, 4:03 PM
I liked the cowboy sideboard also. I was thinking of making it for my parents, who happen to be ranchers. At least it was something new for Norm. His projects can seem repetitive to me - at least in style.

Gary Keedwell
11-27-2007, 4:17 PM
I liked the cowboy sideboard also. I was thinking of making it for my parents, who happen to be ranchers. At least it was something new for Norm. His projects can seem repetitive to me - at least in style.
Good for you Matt...I'm wondering if there isn't more admirers of that piece that haven't stepped forward. I cannot imagine the production meeting where they ask them to raise their hand if they don't like this project and.....Somebody must of liked it enough to put it on TV.:confused:
Gary

Art Travers
11-27-2007, 4:25 PM
I for one from AWW many years ago....

Homer Faucett
11-27-2007, 4:42 PM
I have three favorites: (1) the breakfront hutch that I will build using ash and tiger ash panels; (2) the teak deck chairs (which I'll probably NEVER get around to building); and (3) his night stand with the tiger maple drawer front.

Yes, the highboy was impressive, but I'll probably never build it, and don't have much desire to at this point. If it wasn't for Norm, I would not have a shop.

Fred Voorhees
11-27-2007, 5:28 PM
The most impressive was definitely the highboy. My favorite project is the Adirondack chairs including the updated version...I'm glad I made templates as it's nearly time to make some more. The first two I made are now over 8 years old and pretty much at the end of life.

The two projects, however, that I think have some of the broadest appeal in our community are the router table (and it's update) and the one that too many folks forget about, the two-part jigs episode. That latter one is worth a mint. Build even one of them, and you've paid for the plans. That's especially true of the shelf-pin jig that emulates the very expensive MEG we've all seen Norm use on the show.

The "jigs" shows were just on this past weekend. I built the window shutter jig and look forward to using it again some day. Qute a bit of work involved in the shutter jig, but it works pretty darned good.

Danny Thompson
11-27-2007, 6:39 PM
For me, so far, it has been his miter bench, workshop hutch, and the way he uses the brad nailer willy-nilly (a stark contrast to David Marks who never uses one). Those have taught me the most.

He also has a bit of a goofy quality that draws you in and makes wookworking seem achievable. David's work is equally inspiring but in a different and sometimes more daunting way (e.g., I, for one, am much less comfortable calling David Marks, "David," than Norm, "Norm".)

Jason White
11-27-2007, 9:28 PM
I'm really into shop projects, so the "shop hutch" and "miter saw station" were my favorites! I hope to build a version of them very soon.

JW

As a follow up to this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69763
and an attempt to focus on the positive, please post what you think was the most impressive thing Norm has done, or any comments about something you learned from watching NYW.

I'll start with saying that although not the thing that most people might pick, I personally liked the Deluxe Router Station for no other reason then that it reminded me that I should put the same level of quality into things I build for my shop as I do for items I make for others. Before seeing that episode my own router table was functional but pretty embarrassing. I'm now working on a design similar to Norm's but suited for my own needs.

Paul Greathouse
11-27-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm another one that tunes in for the tips and techniques over the projects. I have used his techniques over and over again on many Non-Norm projects. Norm would have made a great shop teacher. He has a unique ability to convey his point in an entertaining way.

I have built the Router Table, Workshop Hutch, Miter Saw Station & Storage and a modified version of the rolling shop table with the drop down rollers. The drop down mechanism for the rollers works great BTW.

The High Boy was very impressive but I don't care for that style for furniture, so I don't think I will ever attempt to build it. Take it from a guy who has spent alot of time on the back of a horse, Real Cowboys wouldn't be very impressed with the cowboy furniture. Hey, most everybody will do something in their lifetime thats not popular, even Norm.

Jon Lanier
11-28-2007, 2:02 AM
My favorite because I think it would be the most useful in our home is the Tilt Top Table:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3442/000000lk9.gif

But that Highboy is impressive:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6911/0000mh0.gif

But the one thing I wish I had and didn't have to build myself is the Router Table:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/4226/0000sp3.gif

Danny Thompson
11-28-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree that the cowboy furniture is not for cowboys, but it definitely reminds me of my relatives in Oklahoma. Most cowboys wouldn't wear a bollo tie or a tassled buckskin jacket either. To me, that furniture was more about western flair than cowboy-function.

The routing technique was innovative. I don't think I'll ever make it, but I sure felt like I learned something from it.

Bob Glenn
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
I know everyone bashed the painted cupboard with the pinched top, BUT..... I really liked it!

The minute I saw it, I knew I had to build it. I think there are lots of people that think the same, because when I ordered the plans, they were on back order for about 6 weeks. The painted cupboard is the only piece I've had a desire to build and I've never ordered any other plans from NYW.

I have a fondness for colonial and primitive furniture, and cupboard speaks to that. Many in the other thread have talked about the bad proportions and odd colors, but that is what I like.

I started to build the cupboard, but progress has stopped with the purchase of yet another rental house to be fixed up. However, this spring, when the house is done and rented, I will be finishing up the cabinet to compliment the Windsor chairs in our living room.

So here is my lone vote for the painted cupboard at the best piece Norm has built. :p

Bob Mircetic
11-28-2007, 6:58 PM
Hey Bob, you're not alone. I liked that colonial painted cupboard too! :)

Rick Cicciarelli
11-30-2007, 3:11 PM
I felt this thread needed a bump. I think the highboy is quite impressive, but on a much more realistic note for my skill level, I particularly liked the mahongy chest of drawers episode I watched the other night. I just wish I could have taped it...it went too fast. I was thinking I'd like to build a cherry dresser using a lot of the same techniques. I also love the router table cabinet, though I'd modify the plans to have two full width drawers on the bottom...but otherwise I think I may purchase the plans and DVD for that one.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-30-2007, 7:11 PM
As often as I've watched him I can't say I learned a thing on his show. But then I was doing this long before Norm was on TV and long before I even had a TV.

I have liked a fair bit of his work but I'm not a fan of Colonial. My earliest pieces were more Danish modern.

aaron allen
11-30-2007, 7:26 PM
In putting my .02 in... I am a cabinetmaker/furniture builder because 'Uncle' Norm made it look easy or at least it could be attempted. I was born 4th generation in the Scrap Metal Processing business and times have changed with that industry. I have enjoyed the progressions of marking my abilities on my FWW response card from Beginner to Advanced and its only taken 14 yrs to get there. I had great mentors and great places to work. I am proud to call him 'Uncle' Norm because of the influence he has given me.

Frank Orzehoski
12-02-2007, 4:00 PM

Norm was the reason I started woodworking. I had no idea what a table saw, planer or jointer was or did. I thought a biscuit joiner was something for the kitchen. That is until I started watching The New Yankee Workshop. After watching a few eposiodes I was hooked and began amassing my collection of power tools and building projects. I try to watch NYW as much as possible over the weekends as I find I almost always learn something new even by watching a re run.

Frank

Sam Chambers
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I have to say that the highboy is my all-time favorite. I liked the Lutyen's bench, too. I've built the workbench (my first woodworking project, done entirely on an inherited Shopsmith) and the jewlery box.

If it weren't for Norm, I wouldn't be involved in this hobby. I stumbled across an early episode of NYW years ago, and was hooked. I still watch faithfully, and Tivo nearly episode. And yes, I'm always excited to see what he has in store for each new season.

Not everything he's ever built is my taste, but I enjoy watching and learning about the technuques. I'm not a big fan of shaker, mission or arts & crafts, and he's done lots of that over the years. But that doesn't mean he hasn't taught me a lot while he built those projects. For the record, I really enjoy watching David Marks, though I don't think there are more than 2 of his projects I'd ever consider building, because they're just not my style.

Honestly, I think Norm and NYW have done more to advance the hobby of woodworking than any other single source.

keith ouellette
12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Most people probably don't think it falls under the category of fine wood working but I thought the plantation shutters he did were very impressive. When his show first started I think he may have been more carpenter than wood worker. I bought a used book of his and his instructions to put the frame on involved nailing it from the front and filling the wholes. I couldn't see him doing that now.

Denny Rice
12-03-2007, 1:54 AM
For me, so far, it has been his miter bench, workshop hutch, and the way he uses the brad nailer willy-nilly (a stark contrast to David Marks who never uses one). Those have taught me the most.

He also has a bit of a goofy quality that draws you in and makes wookworking seem achievable. David's work is equally inspiring but in a different and sometimes more daunting way (e.g., I, for one, am much less comfortable calling David Marks, "David," than Norm, "Norm".)

I agree with Danny the "shop" projects interst me a lot. So much that last year I built the workshop hutch, I love it. A place for everything and everything has a place. Just last month I have received the plans for the miter bench station. (I have a long wall where it and my radial arm saw will fit nicely.) I will start on it sometime early next spring. I love all of David Marks woodworking. Both men are true Craftsmen.

Denny Rice
12-03-2007, 2:02 AM
[QUOTE=DougButterfield;703151]Thank you, first off, for starting a positive "Norm" thread. Just a few random thoughts....

2. Yes...it would be great if we all had the well equipped shop shown on NYW. But that shop is not Norm's...it's Russell's. If I went to Norm's house & saw his shop, I would not be shocked to see it looks like your normal basement shop with minimal equipment, some paint cans and such. I'd wager a bet that between TOH, NYW and all the home shows Norm attends, he has little time to spend in his own shop.

I was always told the NYW was on Norm's property.. Am I wrong?:eek:

DougButterfield
12-03-2007, 8:32 AM
Hey Denny....NYW is an extremely nice addition to the original workshop Norm built for Russell M. It was that original workshop that landed Norm the gig on TOH. I cannot remember the link, but there was a great piece, with video clips, of Russell showing views of both the original workspace and the NYW. Maybe someone else here has the link.