PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw issue

ROBERT ZAHRADNIK
11-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

First time post, I am hoping to draw on the forums knowledge! I purchased a unisaw when amazon had on of there wonderful deals last year. I have a couple questions about setting it up.

- Measured arbor run out to under .001 (wonderful!!)
- Set 90* blade to table and noticed that it would not make it the stop - thought something was binding.
*Cleaned out the worm gear and relubed --- nothing
*Inspected for burs or anything else, nothing again
*Noticed that the worm drive appeared to have extra tension on it when getting to the 90* end.
*Noticed that the table did not have any shims in it.
*loosened the table, cranked it and the flipping table started to lift!!

So to all the Unisaw owners out there are your tables shimmed? If so how much?

Thank You,
Ziggyzz

Allen Bookout
11-25-2007, 11:18 PM
That is really wild. I am not where I can check my Unisaw for shims. This is just a wild guess but I am wondering if there might be some packing material left somewhere that has not been removed and when the tilt is cranked it rides up the foreign material.

Rob Will
11-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure about the Uni but my PM has a relief machined under the top for belt pulley clearance. If there are no obvious problems with the casting or machine work, sounds liek the shims are in order. (Just guessing actually).
Let us know what you find out.

And welcome to SMC!

Rob

ROBERT ZAHRADNIK
11-25-2007, 11:25 PM
HI,

Thanks for the reply! I wish there was some packing material in there some where, but nothing to be found.

I have been thinking, The blade sits proud of the table by about 1/64, when fully cranked down. Either the table was never shimmed up or the trunnion was never shimmed down.

Thanks,
Rob

Allen Bookout
11-26-2007, 9:33 AM
Robert,

I just looked at my Uni and one side is shimmed up less that 1/16" and the other side has no shims at all. The top of my blade is about 1/8" below the table top.

This is not much help I am sure but it may give you some idea.

Bart Leetch
11-26-2007, 9:56 AM
Have you adjusted the stops for down & tilt?

Silly me I'm assuming they still have them my 1940 model has them.

ROBERT ZAHRADNIK
11-26-2007, 6:31 PM
Hi all,

Allen:
Thx for the reply, that does help!

Bart:
Are there other adjustments other than 45* and 90* stops?

Thanks again all,
Rob

Bart Leetch
11-26-2007, 7:06 PM
Hi all,

Allen:
Thx for the reply, that does help!

Bart:
Are there other adjustments other than 45* and 90* stops?

Thanks again all,
Rob

I don't think so.

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 7:13 PM
It's sounding more and more like a few steps got skipped in final assembly of your saw at the factory. Cabinet saws are generally zeroed in relative to the table and the blade relationship for accuracy during a bevel, etc., Your blade should also drop below the table height with no problem at all. You may want to make a call to Delta and confirm what to do from here...

glenn bradley
11-26-2007, 8:52 PM
If your blade does not drop below table, something is amiss and it should be a warranty issue. No shims sounds suspicious. I suppose it could happen that your's is the cabinet that came out perfect . . . .nah, give Delta a call.

ROBERT ZAHRADNIK
11-26-2007, 9:21 PM
Hi all,

I finally have a day off tomorrow and I am going to call delta. We shall see what they have to say. Thx for the ideas and help everyone!!

Thank you,
Rob