PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Doings

Julie Tanner
11-25-2007, 9:46 PM
Turned some bowls this weekend. Working on getting better with the bowl gouge, The catches scare the poooop outta me.
Both are cherry, the logs were sitting out in the back yard for the last 2 years.

used the bowl gouge and round nose scrapper

thanks for taking a peek

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2007, 9:56 PM
Julie - those are some really nice looking bowls! The wood on each is amazing! Great color and lots going on in that grain! Be warned - turning bowls gets addicting real fast! Nice work - looking forward to your next turning!

Jon Lanier
11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow, the wood grain on those are great.

Alex Elias
11-26-2007, 12:58 AM
What took you so long to get those great bowls out of the logs. They look great.

Bob Hallowell
11-26-2007, 2:42 AM
Julie,
those look great! the wood is fantasic

Bob

Jude Kingery
11-26-2007, 4:06 AM
Julie, you're doing great! Nice bowls, form, figure and finish. Takes a little bit, but the bowl gouge is my favorite tool. Just spend some time with it and you'll feel more comfortable with it. Nice work! Jude

Christopher K. Hartley
11-26-2007, 5:24 AM
Julie, don't ya just love it when those old logs yield something so pretty? The wood is wonderful and you did a great job on those bowls. Something for the future...it really is nice to know the measurements along with how and what you finished the piece with. I'm looking forward to more of your work.:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
11-26-2007, 6:21 AM
Nice looking bowls, Julie!

John Hart
11-26-2007, 6:27 AM
Yep...Them's are pretty ones alright. Doesn't look like you got too scared.:) It just keeps gettin' better from here.;) Rock-n-roll.:)

Bonnie Campbell
11-26-2007, 7:22 AM
Great looking bowls! :)

robert hainstock
11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Julie,
Great bowls. I bet some of the guys are moving some of their wood to the back lot right now. :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2007, 11:39 AM
The bowls are beauties Julie. Don't worry it gets easier with everyone you do. Keep'em coming.

Paul Engle
11-26-2007, 4:33 PM
Julie, well done. My LOML gave me a roll of paper towels for such events .... she's kinda smarty pants anyway. I dont use em so much anymore and by the looks of those two bowls ... the times a commin when yu won't either :eek:. I like your bowls , nice work.:D

Rich Stewart
11-26-2007, 7:06 PM
Nice looking bowls. I thought it was pretty interesting the orientation of the wood. That is the pith right in the center of the sidewall on that second bowl. So...you cut off a section of a log and mounted it bark to bark. Pretty cool. Did you round the log off on a bandsaw or anything before turning?

Julie Tanner
11-26-2007, 7:22 PM
the tall one is from the crotch section. Just cut out a section and make a typical bowl blank with it. nothing special. Guess thats what happens when you don't know what your doing. :rolleyes:

Greg Just
11-27-2007, 5:16 PM
beautiful bowls - isn't just great that you can make such a nice bowl from an old log :)