PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 Question

Heather Thompson
11-25-2007, 8:35 PM
I just picked up a new (used 1 hr) Powermatic 66 on Friday, got a great deal from a fellow Creeker. I currently have a Delta contractor saw with an Incra TSIII fence system, 92" rails with a router mounted in the right side wing. Will be moving the fence system to the new saw tomorrow, my problem is that the rails will not allow the use of the stock splitter and guard assembly. Splitting the rear rail is not an option as the rod that protrudes from the back of the saw swings in about a 4 1/4" arc and would not allow the fence travel for narrow rips. Any thoughts, suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Heather

john tomljenovic
11-25-2007, 8:46 PM
your best bet...

http://www.leestyron.com/sharksplitter.php

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 8:50 PM
In addition to the Sharkguard that John mentions, the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter is available for the PM 66 and is an excellent option. I ran one on my Jet saw for quite a few years and really liked it. Being easy to remove and reinstall means it stays on the saw most of the time. I did have an overarm guard, but rarely used it. IMHO, the splitter is the more critical safety need.

Michael Lutz
11-25-2007, 9:09 PM
I have a Biesemeyer splitter for my PM 66. It works well. It is easy to install and remove.

Mike

Lee Hingle
11-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Heather,
I second what Jim and Michael have said - I have the bies splitter on my '66 and it's the bees knees

CPeter James
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
What are you going to do with the old fence?

CPeter

Mike Heidrick
11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
No fence on the new saw PM66 she got. It was saw only.

For the price you paid on the 66 the Bies Snap in should be VERY AFFORDABLE! You stole that awesome awesome saw. Chis's other PM66 is also very sweet. Congrats again on that saw. I think I missed you by about an hour when I puicked up the mortiser.

Heather did you get some extension tables?

Heather Thompson
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
What are you going to do with the old fence?

CPeter

CPeter,

The saw that I purchased was just the saw, no fence,rails or cast iron tables. In my situation that is not a problem as I am reusing a Incra TSIII with router tables built into the wings, will be offering a base contractor saw here in the near future, I do have the old rail and fence off of the contractor, Unifence.

Heather

Heather Thompson
11-25-2007, 10:54 PM
No fence on the new saw PM66 she got. It was saw only.

For the price you paid on the 66 the Bies Snap in should be VERY AFFORDABLE! You stole that awesome awesome saw. Chis's other PM66 is also very sweet. Congrats again on that saw. I think I missed you by about an hour when I puicked up the mortiser.

Heather did you get some extension tables?

Mike,

I did not steal it, Chris helped me load it in the back of my truck. :D About the extension table, I am thinking about adding a sliding table to the left side, maybe an exaktor sliding table. Chris is a great guy, pleasure to meet and consider him as a new friend. I like to think that the majority of the folks here at SMC are of the same fiber.

Heather :p

Heather Thompson
11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
I looked for the Biesemeyer splitter, no luck, contacted a local distributor and was advised that it is a discontinued item. If anyone has one sitting on a shelf collecting dust, I would be happy to discuss freeing up much needed shelf space. If anyone else has input on the Sharkguard, would greatly appreciate information, pro or con.

Heather

fred woltersdorf
11-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I looked for the Biesemeyer splitter, no luck, contacted a local distributor and was advised that it is a discontinued item. If anyone has one sitting on a shelf collecting dust, I would be happy to discuss freeing up much needed shelf space. If anyone else has input on the Sharkguard, would greatly appreciate information, pro or con.

Heather

heather i have a biesemeyer splitter on my pm 66 and love it.here's a link to a place that sells them. i just did a google search for "biesemeyer splitter and this was one of them.
http://www.mikestools.com/biesemeyer-table-saw-anti-kickback-spreaders_1318.aspx

Heather Thompson
11-27-2007, 12:46 PM
heather i have a biesemeyer splitter on my pm 66 and love it.here's a link to a place that sells them. i just did a google search for "biesemeyer splitter and this was one of them.

Fred,

I do not see a link, please send it again or PM me. Thank you in advance.

Heather

fred woltersdorf
11-27-2007, 3:26 PM
Fred,

I do not see a link, please send it again or PM me. Thank you in advance.

Heather
sorry about that i'm old and i forgot to add the link originaly. i just edited the post and added the link.

Heather Thompson
11-27-2007, 3:42 PM
sorry about that i'm old and i forgot to add the link originaly. i just edited the post and added the link.

Fred,

MikesTools has been back ordered since September, called Berland's House of Tools this AM and they contacted Biesemeyer direct, they have discontinued the product and have none in stock. Thank you for the reply anyway.

Heather :)

Brian Clevenger
11-27-2007, 6:59 PM
Heather,

Hello, I think this is the first time I've responded to one of your posts.

I have a PM66 with the SharkGuard. I have the unit with the 2 1/2" DC port. I like the Shark a lot. The dust collection over the top is excellent. The guard comes with three splitters (you decide the kerf - I use only full kerf blades); two can be used with the guard and the other is for very thin stock or non-through cuts. The release for the splitters is tool less and the guard can be quickly removed; both with or without removing the splitter.

I never was one to use the stock guards very often. They usually found their way to a lost corner of the shop. Since adding the Shark to my 66, I rarely remove the guard; and almost never remove the splitter. I take it off for dado work and it ends up back on the saw before ripping.

I must mention that it takes Lee about 5-8 weeks to get the Shark to you. I guess it has turned into a busy operation and he is a little behind on the turn around. It is a great product though. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Steve Kohn
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I also bought a used PM66. I didn't want to use the factory guard so I bought just the set of 3 splitters from Lee. I did not buy the guard since I have the Excalibur overarm guard on the saw.

Dave MacArthur
11-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Heather-- good buy! I'll want to see 92" rails when you get it set up ;) I also have a PM66, and have been looking for the bies splitter... if you find them, be sure to post as I need one too! Thx!

Dave MacArthur
01-18-2008, 1:12 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74008
bies splitter again avail for PM66.

Brian Kerley
01-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I know everyone keeps saying to get the Bies splitter for the PM 66, but I can't figure out how they are managing to charge $130 for some laser cut sheet metal. It's not like this is an extreme precision piece of equipment. Yes, yes, the mantra of "but how much is a finger worth" is there, but still.....look at how much the Shark splitter is....and Bies has economies of scale working in their favor. It's robbery.

John Thompson
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
A splitter is well.. a splitter. It keeps stock separated after a sever which is great. But.. what happens if stocks kicks straight up. A splitter alone will not stop that and there is no accomodation on just a splitter to add over-head dust pick-up short of purchasing a somewhat expensive over-head guard.

I don't have Lee"s Shark-guard, but I can tell you it is hand-made with extreme quality and well worth the money as it is a splitter and has over-head dust collection in one package. And it comes with various thicknesses to accomodage TK or full kerf blade.

If I had not made my own which is simialr to the Shark-guard, I would not hesitate to purchase Lee's Shark-guard for it's quality and capability.

Good luck, Miss Heather...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=647087&postcount=12

Sarge..

Randy Davidson
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I have the Shark Guard and splitters on order with Lee for my PM66. The price of the whole package is just slightly more than the Beis splitter alone. After reading only positive comments on his setup I am totally happy with my choice. I don't think you can find someone who does not like theirs.