PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed Table Height Adjustment

Sean Troy
11-25-2007, 8:33 PM
Hey all, I will be building an outfeed table soon for my table saw and was wondering what to do to adjust the height on the far end of the table. My shop floor has a slight downhill slope away from the saw, maybe a 1/2 inch or so the full length of the planned 8ft. outfeed table. Is there levelers to use on the bottom of the legs or is there a better way? I was thinking of using 4x4 s for the frame. Thanks for any help. Sean

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 8:57 PM
Leveling feet are a good idea, both to fine tune it as well as accommodate any relocation in the future. And wow, that's a big table... ;)

Sean Troy
11-25-2007, 9:03 PM
I should of stated the 8 ft. includes the saw table top. where might one find the levelers? Local stores here don't seem to have them.

Lee Koepke
11-25-2007, 9:05 PM
I should of stated the 8 ft. includes the saw table top. where might one find the levelers? Local stores here don't seem to have them.
woodcrafters is where i got mine.

lee valley hardware (www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com))

they also have them

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2007, 9:17 PM
There are a variety of these at McMaster Carr online. I got a package of 12 I think...here: item # 23015T66 Leveling Mount Polyethylene Base, 3/8"-16 Thread, 3-1/2" Bolt LIn stock at $10.37 per PackThis product is sold in Packs of 12

Use some T-nuts in the bottom of the legs and you have a great levelling set up. Jim.

Rob Will
11-25-2007, 9:19 PM
Sean, I would build a storage cabinet with drawers as a base for the outfeed table. Build it 1/8" short of the intended height. With the slope in your floor you might need to make one side slightly taller. If you build the top so you can screw it on from inside the cabinet, simply insert shims between the cabinet and top to make evrything level.

IMHO, use a slick laminate top set about 1/16" lower than the main saw table.
Don't forget about that miter slot.
One of those HF laser levels is really handy for projecting a straight line out from a machine tool top such as this.

Rob

Sean Troy
11-25-2007, 9:24 PM
Sean, I would build a storage cabinet with drawers as a base for the outfeed table. Build it 1/8" short of the intended height. With the slope in your floor you might need to make one side slightly taller. If you build the top so you can screw it on from inside the cabinet, simply insert shims between the cabinet and top to make evrything level.

IMHO, use a slick laminate top set about 1/16" lower than the main saw table.
Don't forget about that miter slot.
One of those HF laser levels is really handy for projecting a straight line out from a machine tool top such as this.

Rob

Bare with me, I'm still learning. Why the 16th inch less height? thanks, Sean

Rob Will
11-25-2007, 9:29 PM
Bare with me, I'm still learning. Why the 16th inch less height? thanks, Sean

You want to make sure that nothing ever catches the edge of the outfeed. If anything, it has to be a touch lower than the main saw.
Be sure to get one of those laser levels for about $10 at HF.
Plastic laminate or sheet metal would make good shims if you need to level that saw or the outfeed table.

Rob

Mike Langford
11-25-2007, 9:43 PM
.....And wow, that's a big table... ;)

My outfeed table is 4' x 8' (also doubles as my workbench/assembly table! ;))

My table is 3/16" below my saw's table......

Sean Troy
11-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Now it makes sense. Thanks for the help

Rob Will
11-26-2007, 12:18 AM
PM sent......

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 1:01 AM
The Local Lowes sells the leveling bolts, just drill a hole in the bottom of the legs, tap in a t-nut and thread the bolt right in. McMaster does sell nicer ones though. The ones I ordered from them have the plastic caps that make sliding things around much easier however this shouldnt apply in your case. The ones from Lowes are in their specialty hardware section in the pull out trays. I had to look for them but eventually found them there.

Don Stanley
11-26-2007, 2:13 AM
Hey all, I will be building an outfeed table soon for my table saw and was wondering what to do to adjust the height on the far end of the table. My shop floor has a slight downhill slope away from the saw, maybe a 1/2 inch or so the full length of the planned 8ft. outfeed table. Is there levelers to use on the bottom of the legs or is there a better way? I was thinking of using 4x4 s for the frame. Thanks for any help. Sean

This is what I used. As you can see, I had to add a small spacer to accommodate the slope in the floor. I found the adjustable legs at a local hardware store.

Click to enlarge.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1012/thumbs/8_P1010729.jpg (http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1012/medium/8_P1010729.jpg)

Here's link to my outfeed table. Click on the individual pictures to see detail comments.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1012

-Don