PDA

View Full Version : recommended BLO (for black cherry)?

Jack Camillo
11-25-2007, 6:48 PM
Almost done with a pair of black cherry nightstands. I would have gone with just Danish oil (which is all I've ever finished with since I began doing real woodworking), but recently read in one of the forums that like three coats of BLO is good on cherry. Is there a recommended/highly regarded brand out there, or will off-the-shelf at HD be as good as any? (if they have it) Thanks in advance, all.

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 7:50 PM
I use one application of BLO unless I'm doing a strictly BLO and wax finish. And the BLO from the borg is perfectly fine to use for this...inexpensive. You only want to apply it, let it sit for a little while and wipe of any excess. It's just to pop the grain and add some color. From there, proceed with your finishing regimen after the BLO cures. (or if you are doing a de-waxed shellac barrier coat, after a day or two)

Tim Sproul
11-26-2007, 1:03 AM
IME, you do 2-3 coats of BLO because you want the finish to feel really fine to the hand as well as look really fine to the eye. Apply first coat with rag and wipe excess off. Apply additional coats with fine grit (320, 400, 600, whatever you like - just not 120 grit) abrasive or you can use synthetic steel wools (the white is the finest and IIRC around 1000 grit equivalent) and wipe off with a rag. If you see spots that are more glossy than other spots, those glossy spots have built-up a thicker film of BLO compared to the more dull spots. Getting a uniform thickness of BLO onto a piece without putting on a layer too thick to cure properly is extremely difficult. Don't worry though. Add a coat or two of wax and the wax brings everything to the same sheen.....and building a sufficient thickness film of paste wax is really easy. Apply the paste wax with the white synthetic wool and then buff to final sheen as desired.

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 8:45 AM
Tim, I agree with you if BLO "is" the finish...at least three applications are required for that "silky" feel. Additionally, for that, I also find heating the oil to about 135º F in a water bath is also desirable to get great penetration.

George Bregar
11-29-2007, 5:31 PM
I believe that Danish Oil's main ingredient is linseed oil. Either looks great on cherry...gives it "depth"...I apply it with 0000 steel wool. Then a high quality paste wax. If you are going to topcoat with WB poly, needs a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac as mentioned...pad on 1-2 coats of a 2# cut.

Rob Amadon
12-01-2007, 9:50 AM
I believe that Danish Oil's main ingredient is linseed oil.

In most cases the main ingredient in danish oil is a thinner (mineral spirits, naphtha, etc.). Which is why it is a good idea to experiment with making your own. Pick a good varnish and mix it with BLO and your choice of thinner in roughly equal proportions. You can modify this by increasing any of the ingredients in proportion to get the results you desire. Then you aren't paying varnish prices for BLO or mineral spirits and you have control over the finished product.

Rob