View Full Version : Beautiful woodworking

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-15-2004, 11:24 AM
My neighbor introduced me to a cousin who is a turner and woodworker named Euland Hoyle. Today he brought some samples of his work and they are gorgeous. The finish is smooth as glass, not a finish mark anywhere. It's obvious the guy takes a lot of pride in getting the finish the very best possible. The amazing thing is that he is disabled and has to do his turning and woodworking in sessions. He can't do a project from start to finish at one time. I don't know the finishes yet, but am going to visit and talk to him so I can learn to do this. Finishing is my weak point (or at least one of them). Here are some picts of his work. The mirrors are bird's eye maple (one stained and one natural) 12" long X 6" mirrors. I also have a Cedar and Walnut mirror from him. One bowl is Walnut burl, 14" X 6" and the other two picts are of an ambrosia Maple bowl 10" X 5" deep. He wants me to teach him to make pens that he can do in one session. I introduced him to the Freedom Pen project, so hopefully we can get going soon. Thanks for looking.

Peter Stahl
02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Tell Him he does nice work!

Tyler Howell
02-15-2004, 1:37 PM
Tell Him he does nice work!

Tell Euland to meet us at the Creek and we'll tell him ourselves. ;)

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-15-2004, 2:24 PM
Tell Euland to meet us at the Creek and we'll tell him ourselves. ;)

Thanks guys ... unfortunately, he doesn't have a PC ... so I've been filling him in. I've printed out some of the info and posters for the Freedom Pens to get him interested. I just wanted to share some of his work with the group, since he isn't able to.

Thanks,
Ron

Roger Barga
02-15-2004, 2:53 PM
Please tell him that he does beautiful work. The pieces just glow from within - that's the kind of finish that I can only hope to get on a piece of furniture one of these years.

Regards,
Roger

Dennis Peacock
02-15-2004, 7:10 PM
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please pass along my amazement of how perfect these pieces are. Also, pass along that he needs to teach us about finishing like that. ;)