PDA

View Full Version : You were right again...

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 5:29 PM
when you all said that when I got a jointer and planer that I would need a dust collector. The LOML aka SWMBO bought me a new toyl Saturday (yep, the day after Black Friday). Rockler had the Jet 1 hp DC - 650 Dust Collector with Remote on sale for $199.99 which is $170 off the regular price. I've already used it on my SawStop, jointer and planer. WOW, what a difference! I was trying to use my ShopVac with a Dust Deputy. It just couldn't handle the job (though it does a super job with my Bosch sander). Well, I realize that this isn't a big, powerful cyclone like some have, but for now it really sucks. Yes, I realize that in the future I'll be better off with a big cyclone with all the ducting, but for now I'm satisfied.:D SHMBO will be happier with less sawdust in the house too.;)

Carroll Courtney
11-25-2007, 5:31 PM
You lucky dog:D

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2007, 5:35 PM
Good for you! And great of your wife!!:D It may not be what you eventually want, but it is a start, and it should work fine for you. Now get you a trash can separater for use on that jointer and planer! Jim.

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 5:41 PM
...Now get you a trash can separater for use on that jointer and planer! Jim.

Thanks Jim. For now, I'm just switching the hose to the different machines. It's actually very easy to do in the small space I have to work in.

Tom Cowie
11-25-2007, 6:01 PM
Don you have a great wife and will say that she bought you something very useful.

Tom

Mike Cutler
11-25-2007, 6:02 PM
Good on you Don.
You're lungs and sinuses will be thanking your wife.;)

Bob Noles
11-25-2007, 7:31 PM
So, are you going to put that broom in the background on eBay?

Nice gloat and even a nicer wife ;)

Jon Lanier
11-25-2007, 7:47 PM
Don,

Congrats. I have the older blue version and thought I'd upgrade somewhere along the line, but currently don't think I need to. I need to move it around a bit for using on different tools... but to pay out big bucks for a system right now doesn't seem worth it.

Buy the way, I can tell that you have the same wheels I have. I removed mine and put on some 4" swivels on all four corners. With the smaller wheels the smallest piece of wood stops the thing cold or tips over. The bigger wheels don't have that problem.

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 7:56 PM
Don,...Buy the way, I can tell that you have the same wheels I have. I removed mine and put on some 4" swivels on all four corners. With the smaller wheels the smallest piece of wood stops the thing cold or tips over. The bigger wheels don't have that problem.

Thanks Jon. I'll look into bigger wheels.

Gary Muto
11-25-2007, 7:58 PM
I got hte same DC (except w/canister). I've bbeen really happy with it. The real test will be when I get my new sander hooked up and try it out.

Al Willits
11-25-2007, 8:26 PM
Little tip I found works for me is I use a Coupler that the 4" flex ductwork fits on one end and the other end is for PVC, I find the PVC end fits right over the outlets of the power tools I'm using and makes changing from one tool to another a snap.

I have the JDS Dust Force but I think its about the same as what you have, and I have to change from toool to tool when I use it, the easy on coupler makes it a lot easier than the friction fit cone shaped connector I started with.

Got them at Woodcraft.

Al

Mike Langford
11-25-2007, 9:26 PM
Congrats Don!

I've got the Delta AP400 (1 HP - 650 CFM) and I've plumbed mine with 4" PVC and flex hoses (w/blast gates)

I leave it stationary at the end of my table saw...

I have two blast gates at the collector....one to the saw - the other for the ceiling run.....

I have blast gates for two different runs....

One is hooked to my Performax sander.....

The other is a (temporary) short run that I hook to my router table via a 2 1/2" flex hose when needed....

I use to only have one hose that I would move to each machine as needed (real PITA) but I love it being in a fixed location!!......In the future I plan on moving it to a corner (when I make room!:eek:) so I can have a little more room to pass between my saw and the shelves.......

Hope this gives you some ideals!

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 9:55 PM
Gary, I would rather have the canister, but that wans't included in this "deal." Perhaps, after the bag wears out or I have some extra cash, I'll retrofit it with a canister. For now I'm pleased with how well the bag works.

Al, thanks for the information. I have ordered a 4'' Clamped Quick Disconnect Fitting from Rockler that I think will do the same thing. Today I was pleased with how easily I was able to unclamp the hose from one machine and attach it to the next. To speed things up I used a power screw driver.;)

Mike, your set up looks great! One reason I'm not going to install a "central" DC system at this time is that my wife and I are retireing soon and plan to move. We hope to find a place with more land for our dogs to roam (seven basset hounds on a "small" lot is not a good idea) and a shop space for me to work in. When we do move I'll be able to plan out my DC in a more permanent way. Right now I'm thinking that when I'm abls to set up that shop I may use this DC for a table saw and jointer in the middle of the room and ducting to a cyclone around the edges for the rest of the shop tools. Perhaps I'll change that idea after I am able to actually get a space and plan it out.

Mike Langford
11-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks Don.....For my small shop (20' x 28') the two runs of ducts should be all I ever need (famous last words! :D)

I was sitting in the shop one day drinking a cup of coffee and day-dreaming when I thought of running some ductwork....couple of 10' sticks of 4" PVC and some connectors and gates later......before I knew it I was making hangers and.......

Congrats on your retiring soon and good luck with finding a place for the dogs to roam.....I have only three chow mix dogs in a small yard and I have to constantly watch out for land mines !! ;):D

Rick Gibson
11-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Jim. For now, I'm just switching the hose to the different machines. It's actually very easy to do in the small space I have to work in.

You may still want a trash can separator. I switch mine from machine to machine but still use the separator. It's a lot easier to empty than the bag on the dust collector.

Rob Will
11-26-2007, 12:30 AM
You may still want a trash can separator. I switch mine from machine to machine but still use the separator. It's a lot easier to empty than the bag on the dust collector.

Rick beat me to it. Agreed.

Rob

Steven Wilson
11-26-2007, 12:54 AM
I had one of those, it picks up the big stuff but lets all of the fine dust through. Wear a respirator when you operate that machine.

Bill White
11-26-2007, 8:52 AM
Now get the low micron bags so you don't spew dust all over the shop. Nice haul.
Bill