PDA

View Full Version : New-to-me Tool Gloat

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 10:40 AM
This past week an entry in the SMC Free Classifieds that caught my eye. Chris Rosenberger had a Kreg Forman pocket hole machine listed and given that I have been doing a lot of pocket screw work these days, I decided to bite. The machine arrived on Friday and will soon become a regular "station" in my shop.

This product uses pneumatics to both clamp and drill. Inside, under that black cover is a Souix pneumatic drill that slides on a couple of spring-loaded guides as the handle is pulled. The initial travel of the handle also opens a valve that actuates the clamp to hold the workpiece before the drill bit engages. One thing I'll have to look at is how I might accommodate chip removal once I decide where this will live, etc.

My only complaint is that Chris shipped it in a Bose Lifestyle box and forgot to leave the Bose components in said box...sheesh! :o :D

Paul Girouard
11-25-2007, 11:28 AM
We'll be calling you "Norm" soon Jim;)

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
We'll be calling you "Norm" soon Jim

I don't know about that...:rolleyes: :o

That said, it's nice to be able to put a nice tool to work that was underutilized in it's previous home, especially when it supports a technique that I'm using more and more. "New" is nice, but "new to me" can be just as rewarding.

Bart Leetch
11-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmmmm

Norm Becker

Has a nice ring to it.:eek::):D

Paul Girouard
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Careful Bart , Jim will think we Islander's and pickin on him:D

Where do you live in OH ? I looked in the phone book and your name isn't there.

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2007, 12:52 PM
snip
My only complaint is that Chris shipped it in a Bose Lifestyle box and forgot to leave the Bose components in said box...sheesh! :o :D

The nerve of some people!! :D
That will make your assembly work on all the things you are building for the new addition go faster. Be sure to post how you tackle the dust collection aspect. I'm always extra interested in that. Jim.

Don Bullock
11-25-2007, 2:15 PM
Hmmmm

Norm Becker

Has a nice ring to it.:eek::):D

Hey Bart, I agree.;):rolleyes:

Jim, congratulations on your new tool. It sounds like something that you can really put to use.

Jeff Raymond
11-25-2007, 2:28 PM
There is no saw dust in the picture. You a collector?

(This will get me busted for sure, I know it).

:D

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 3:20 PM
There is no saw dust in the picture. You a collector?

I blew it off the bench for the shot with some air. But ah, but if you could just see over the edge of that benchtop, you'd see a whole pile of walnut router shavings in and around the linen cabinet. Same in the front of the bench. My shop is actually a pig-stie right now...at least to my standards.

Jerry Olexa
11-25-2007, 3:45 PM
This note is sent with lots of ENVY...I too use my Kreg pocket hole set a lot and at times, its tedious by hand on a bigger project. I used it on all webframes of the recent tool cabinet i built as well as carcass.

Mitchell Andrus
11-25-2007, 4:07 PM
Had one of these for years now. Just remember... a few drops up the hose every once in a while. No complaints, tips, excuses - it works.

Bart Leetch
11-25-2007, 4:18 PM
Careful Bart , Jim will think we Islander's and pickin on him:D

Where do you live in OH ? I looked in the phone book and your name isn't there.

We are We are... :eek::eek::):):):D:D:D:D

The LOML & I manage apartments so our phone# is unlisted. PM Sent.

Bill Huber
11-25-2007, 4:56 PM
I can see it now. old Norm will putting pocket screws in everything.

Lets see I could use pocket screws to hold that Christmas ham together and not wrap it with string.
Now how can I hang a picture with pocket screws, there has to be away.

Maybe we could help Norm come up with some more ways to use that nice new tool.

Great find Jim....

Dave Malen
11-25-2007, 5:10 PM
Jim,
I'll bet that will save a lot of time.

Dave

Tom Cowie
11-25-2007, 6:04 PM
Jim,
I'll bet that will save a lot of time.

Dave

I'll bet Dave is right. I haven't got the pocket hole bug yet. Good luck with the new tool Jim.

Tom

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 6:05 PM
Just remember... a few drops up the hose every once in a while. No complaints, tips, excuses - it works.

Oh, my...can we say stuff like that in a family-oriented forum? LOL! (Seriously, I catch your drift. Like any pneumatic tool, it do need some lubrication)

Norman Pyles
11-25-2007, 6:11 PM
Norm Becker, welcome to the world of Norm's. ;) Oh, and nice machine.

Lee Hingle
11-25-2007, 7:13 PM
Just think - in a year when can have a thread entitled:

What's the ugliest piece of furniture Norm Becker has built?

Just kidding Jim - I have the porter cable table-top pocket hole machine and find new uses for it all the time. You won't be disappointed - it's a real time saver.

Lee

Joe Mioux
11-25-2007, 7:34 PM
OH man...... that thing is slick....

I have a buddy that has the PC version. ala Nahm.

Jim congrats on the new tool. I know you like p-h joinery. I hope this serves you well.

joe

Mitchell Andrus
11-25-2007, 7:41 PM
Too much! LOL

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 9:05 PM
I have a buddy that has the PC version. ala Nahm.

Yes, I've seen that one. That's a real production machine with the swinging router setup, etc.

What's the ugliest piece of furniture Norm Becker has built?

That's an easy answer...the little oval table sitting behind me here in my office...someday I'll build a new base that at least salvages the wonderful piece of walnut that makes up the top...