PDA

View Full Version : A piece for insiration!!!

Mark Singer
02-15-2004, 10:59 AM
This table I have owned for many years.... It is similar to some of my pieces but it is the work of Master Furniture Maker, Victor Di Novi. I have been influenced by his work and especially this piece. I am lucky to have it...a friend of mine and also friend of Victors was moving his office and I bought it. It sits in my entry hall and I consider it the finest piece of furniture in the home! IMHO .... it is probably the best piece Victor has made! It is an amazing piece on Hondoruas Mahogony. The style, proportions and execution are without equal....It contours from heavy to a literal "knife edge" It is well kept for in our home I occasionally re oil it. A day dosen't go by that i don't admire it!
Victor is now in Santa Barbara still making great stuff. This table dates back to his Laguna Beach days....I thought I would answer in advance....No it is not for sale!:(

Jim Becker
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Outstanding, Mark. I can see it's influence in the pieces you first posted about when you jointed SMC, particularly the lamp and the "peg-leg" table.

Wolf Kiessling
02-15-2004, 11:27 AM
I don't know much about furniture, Mark, but it is very obvious that this is a truly wonderful piece of work. It is actually of a work of art. I can see how one can be inspired by a piece like this.

I have a little table, actually a flower stand, that I feel about the same way. It is made in China, out of blackwood (not really familiar with that), and it actually makes me feel good everytime I look at it (which is every day). I bought it about 20 years ago. The lines, carving and joinery are just out of this world. I wouldn't part with it for anything. Maybe I'll post a pic of it one of these days.

Mark Singer
02-15-2004, 5:27 PM
Thanks,
Wolf and Jim...it is great to own nice pieces either self made or by others ...it is the spirit of care and crafstmanship the work conveys