PDA

View Full Version : New User with a question

Wes Terry
11-25-2007, 10:21 AM
A friend recently suggested I take a look at the Sawmill Creek site and I must say I am very impressed with the scope and breadth of the forums and comments from so many woodworkers. I'm greatful for the recommendation...thanks John.

I do have a question, however. I am looking for bed skirt, aka dust ruffle, rods. I recently completed a cherry bedroom suit for my wife and a finishing touch on the bed will be a dust ruffle she will make for the bed. She makes custom window treatments which I help her install, and during one such assignment, she was asked to make a dust ruffle for the client's bed. On installing the dust ruffle, I found the manner in which I want to hang our dust ruffle.

It's simply a brass rod, I suppose 3/8" in diameter. Over each end of the rod slips a 1" long tube with internal threads cut into one end. The tube attaches to a metal flange which is attached to the leg of head board and foot board immediately under the side rail. The tube screws onto the flange that has a short 1/4" stub which is threaded to receive the tube. With both ends of the rod attached, the ruffle can be gathered along it's length to the hide the space under the bed. This mounting method also leaves the side rails nicely exposed which I think enhances the looks of the bed. The length of the tube-ends of the rod allows for small variations in the length of the rod vs. the distance between the head/foot board legs. Elegantly simple but hard to find.

I say all this to ask whether anyone knows of a source where this rod and attachment system can be found. I have scoured the internet looking for suppliers and have found only a vendor selling hollow, expandable rods that adjust to the proper length and that mount somewhat differently. I'd like to have the opportunity to use the more substantial solid rod if possible. Any ideas?

Jim Becker
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Wes, welcome to SMC!

I have to say, I really haven't heard about any kind of rod to use for this particular use. If I make the assumption (dangerous, I know...) that the rod would not be visible...hidden behind the nice cherry side rail, I would think you could use a common curtain rod. If it's visible, the same might be true, but you'll want something more up-scale.

That said, try places like Renovators and Van Dykes...they often carry stuff like that.

Bob Justin
11-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Brass plated, steel rods and the associated hardware has usually been available at any stocking dealer for curtain rods. You are looking for what is called cafe curtain rods. Rods come in several lengths and can be cut to length as needed. Should look great! :)