PDA

View Full Version : What paint can be laser egnraved ok? Help requested . . .

Gary Gilbert
11-25-2007, 9:37 AM
Hi wonderful laser community!

I have a customer who would like his log on LaserGlow, but the white color is the only option (besides the thinner blank stock).

We would like to paint it black then etch.

Is there a recommended type of paint to use that will laser ok?

We will apply the paint over the white side of the laser glow and engrave.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Null
11-25-2007, 9:45 AM
The first one that comes to mind is Krylon acrylic paint. I use it most of the time.

Bill Cunningham
11-25-2007, 9:59 AM
Ya.. As long as it does not say "Made in China" it's probably lead free and safe :D

Mike is Right, rattle can Krylon is a standard in the industry..

Mike Hood
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I've really been using a lot of their "Fusion" paint. It's designed for use on plastic, and it sticks GREAT to acrylic. Fun to do multi-layered engravings.

Not sure if it's any different than regular rattle can Krylon or not. About the same price.

Joe Pelonio
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
The plastic paint by Rustoleum works fine too, but takes longer to dry that the Krylon. I mention only because if you consider both brands you will have a greater variety of colors. of course in this case, black is black, so I'd go with Fusion.

Larry Bratton
11-25-2007, 1:02 PM
The plastic paint by Rustoleum works fine too, but takes longer to dry that the Krylon. I mention only because if you consider both brands you will have a greater variety of colors. of course in this case, black is black, so I'd go with Fusion.
Yes, and that Rustoleum Gold is great! Looks better than Krylon. Both are good though, I particularly like the Krylon Fusion. Slightly off topic, but Krylon now has a spray Latex for things other than plastics (foam board for one). They call it H2O. Works good too.

Scott Shepherd
11-26-2007, 1:36 PM
I bought some Fusion last week to spray the back of some clear acrylic. Only bought it because they didn't have any normal Krylon left. Sprayed all the pieces, second coated them all, and when dry, they all had crazed edges all the way around. Hundreds of little tiny cracks all the way around the edge. Never seen that happen with the normal Krylon before.

Not sure what it means, or if I didn't something wrong, or just hit some magical speed/power setting that put the stress in those pieces or what, but that combination did cause crazing.

Couldn't see it through the front, when painted, but if you looked at the back, it was quite obvious.

Bill Cunningham
11-27-2007, 8:02 PM
The fusion paint may have a solvent in it to allow it to bond better to plastics.. Lasered acrylic edges are attacked by solvent and will 'craze' crazelly !!