PDA

View Full Version : Right under my nose (New WW store)

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2007, 1:07 AM
I made a Rockler order on a few things the other day, just to find out the next day that we have a relatively new WW store in Asheville, and they carry loads of Rockler including the dowel jig that prompted the order in the first place! Asheville Hardware (http://www.ashevillehardware.com/)'s been open since September, but they're located downtown, which I avoid like the plague. And the name's a bit misleading. They have a key-cutting center and a few other 'hardware store' type things but it's definitely a WW store. They have Steel City, Rikon, Proxxon, and Festool. Found out today that they're going to be adding a shop in the basement - can't wait to see what that leads to.

I'm about to bust. Now all I need is some $$$.

Bob Genovesi
11-25-2007, 7:15 AM
Wow, what a find! I wish I had a nice woodworking store a bit closer to me.

I have a Woodcraft store but it takes me 45 minutes to get there and at the price of gas it's over $10.00 just in driving. :rolleyes:

Bob Childress
11-25-2007, 7:29 AM
Looks interesting. I might drive up to take a peek. Do they seem to carry the rockler hardware? (Hinges, catches, etc.)

Roy Hatch
11-25-2007, 8:40 AM
This is on my list of things to do as I live about 20 miles south of the store. Thanks for the link - I'm surprised they have a website already. Looks like they are serious about this and I hope they succeed.

Roy

Mitchell Andrus
11-25-2007, 8:50 AM
Now I KNOW I can retire down there and be happy. Ashville and the surrounding area is wonderful. NOW you've got it all.

Been to the Arts & Crafts conference at the Grove Park Inn? I've done that show 8 times... best people in the world come through.

harry strasil
11-25-2007, 8:56 AM
Now you know why I like to chauffer my wife to her monthly meeting in KC area, there is a woodcraft store about 2 miles away from step daughters apt where I hang out and wait till she is done and a Rockler store about 4 blocks south of the apt. Don't know if they follow me around wiping up all the drool or not?

Gary Keedwell
11-25-2007, 8:57 AM
I made a Rockler order on a few things the other day, just to find out the next day that we have a relatively new WW store in Asheville, and they carry loads of Rockler including the dowel jig that prompted the order in the first place! Asheville Hardware (http://www.ashevillehardware.com/)'s been open since September, but they're located downtown, which I avoid like the plague. And the name's a bit misleading. They have a key-cutting center and a few other 'hardware store' type things but it's definitely a WW store. They have Steel City, Rikon, Proxxon, and Festool. Found out today that they're going to be adding a shop in the basement - can't wait to see what that leads to.

I'm about to bust. Now all I need is some $$$.
Charles, what's wrong with downtown. LOML and I spent a few days in Asheville in October of last year. The craft fair at the Civic Center was the best fair I have attended anywhere. And I'll never forget our tour of the Biltmore. What a beautiful home! I'll admit that the city kinda leans a little to the left, if you know what I mean:eek: They say the Biltmore is wonderful at Christmas time. Oh yea, to include wood on this post....Have you seen the beautiful QSWO in that historical "little" home?
Gary

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2007, 7:14 PM
Bob,

LOTS of Rockler hardware - but certainly not everything. Selection seems kinda random but everything I looked at, for which I already knew the price, was at regular catalog price.

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2007, 7:26 PM
Now I KNOW I can retire down there and be happy. Ashville and the surrounding area is wonderful. NOW you've got it all.

Been to the Arts & Crafts conference at the Grove Park Inn? I've done that show 8 times... best people in the world come through.

Mitchell,

Com'on down and stay. We need some 'good' Yankees to help out the Northerner's reputation around here :rolleyes:.

Never been to the GPI any time other than Christmas. I used to go for a company dinner. The last few years we've been a couple of times for concerts.

Charles Wiggins
11-25-2007, 7:57 PM
Charles, what's wrong with downtown. LOML and I spent a few days in Asheville in October of last year. The craft fair at the Civic Center was the best fair I have attended anywhere.

Downtown is where all the weirdos hang out ("Oooh, look at me! I'm a free spirit! I'm different and controversial." Like everyone else hanging out downtown.). Everywhere I go I feel like I've either wandered into the Rainbow Family Reunion, or worse, a group of posers who dress 'artsy' and whine about how tough life is, and then go out and get into their hand-me-down-from-Daddy BMW. Reminds me too much of art school. It's congested, the traffic patterns are really weird, everything is overpriced.

And I'll never forget our tour of the Biltmore. What a beautiful home! I'll admit that the city kinda leans a little to the left, if you know what I mean:eek: They say the Biltmore is wonderful at Christmas time. Oh yea, to include wood on this post....Have you seen the beautiful QSWO in that historical "little" home?
Gary

Born here, lived here all but 5 1/2 years of my life, and ever been to the Biltmore House - been all through the grounds, but never been in the House.