PDA

View Full Version : How do I use the indexing on my Jet 16-42

Alex Elias
11-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I know it will sound elemenatary for most of you but I don't know how are they use. There are 3 treaded holes with the pin that I can treat on either one.
The question is why are there 3 holes and how can they be used. to divide a piece in 4 or 8 or 32
Thanks for the indexing for dummies lesson
Alex

Richard Madison
11-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Alex,
That might be in the book. Maybe not there, read and forgot, or skimmed that part and missed it. I use them to "lock" the spindle while power sanding the bad spots (cross grain tear out) in bowls.

Jack Norfleet
11-25-2007, 1:12 AM
I am pretty sure it is 5 degrees per hole. Line up a spindle hole with the top collar hole to start. If you turn it till the spindle hole is in the middle hole it is 5 degrees. Turn to line up with the bottom hole it is 10 degrees. A new spindle hole will line up with the top hole at 15 degrees and so on ....

I used it to rout sliding dovetails for three legs in the bottom of a music stand spindle. I just lined up the holes routed the top dovetail. I then rotated the piece slowly, counting in 5 degree increments until I hit 120, routed the next dovetail, then repeated for the third.

Alex Elias
11-25-2007, 1:39 AM
I am pretty sure it is 5 degrees per hole. Line up a spindle hole with the top collar hole to start. If you turn it till the spindle hole is in the middle hole it is 5 degrees. Turn to line up with the bottom hole it is 10 degrees. A new spindle hole will line up with the top hole at 15 degrees and so on ....

I thiks I kind of get it. The collar holes are the 3 with the treads and the spindle ones are the ones turning. I think there are about 14 or so of those. So if I lock the spindle in the first hole and make a hole lets say on the rim of a plater and then I keep on turning the spindle and locking every other hole to drill a hole on the rim, would that make a full turn evenly spaced? If so I still can't see the use of the other 2 on the collar.
Thanks in advance

David Parker
11-25-2007, 8:56 AM
I'm still in the process of buying a Jet 1642, but I noticed in the manual I downloaded here (http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=333132&Part=708360) that it explains the indexing holes on page 30.

Dave
Woodturner neophyte

Jerry Allen
11-25-2007, 9:14 AM
Alex,
From the Jet 1442 manual:

Headstock Indexing Hole:
Thread indexing pin into the indexing hole making sure that it locates in the spindle
hole. There are 12 holes in the spindle 30° apart. Three holes in the headstock casting accept the indexing pin. These holes are 20° apart. The combination of holes will allow you to mark your workpiece for evenly spaced features.

So, if you used just one hole, you would get 12 equal spaces. Using other combinations moving from one hole to another, you could get 9, 18, 36 equal spaces.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Alex, a while back Dominic Greco posted this chart (created by someone else) for all of us 1642 users. It should answer any and all questions you have about indexing.

Have fun with it and be sure to post pictures of whatever it is you are going to turn using the indexing!

Alex Elias
11-25-2007, 3:05 PM
Well guys what can I say. People like you is what makes this planet a better place to turn on. Thanks a lot for the great info.
Regards,
Alex

Don Orr
11-26-2007, 2:36 PM
I have not seen that before Steve, Thanks for posting it. And thanks Dom for putting it together !