PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a jointer.

Louis Rucci
11-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Gentlemen,

I have come to a decision that I was trying to avoid. I own a barely used Powermatic 64A 6" jointer and a never used Powermatic 15S 15" planer.

I really want a jointer/planer combination like the Minimax.

Since I cannot sell either unit, I'm going to have to purchase, at a minimum, a 12" jointer.

I would like inputs on what you feel is the best possible buy under $1700.00. I would also like to know what the advantages are with the Parallelogram Jointer type models, over the old style.

Forgot to add, I would like either Tersa blades or Carbide helical.
Thanks for your help.

Louis

Mike Heidrick
11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
I missed the part where you cannot sell the items you listed????

I own the Delta DJ30. It is awesome. I love it. I stole it from Amazon (3phase though but use a VFD with NO problems) when they had their sales last spring. That being said.....

I have not seen a new 12" jointer for $1700 or less new except the Delta deals last spring.

The Grizzly G0609 (or if you live local to a Griz store) shipped to you for $1825 with straight blades or the Shop fox W1744 if you have a local Shop fox dealer. The SF may be a tad more money than the Griz. Both look to be EXCELLENT machines and I would not hesitate on either one!! I saw the W1744 in person and it was amazing - bed raising rotating handles are AWESOME and the 4 blade head is nice!!. It started me on the quest for the 12" jointer and I ended up with the Delta because of the cost difference.

You may want to look on auction sites or craigslist for used machines to come in under $1700. then add the Byrd from Brian at Holbren dot com latter on.