PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Selection HELP

Deuce Lee
11-24-2007, 10:19 PM
OT: Man i've been on a tool rampage lately, bought a hitachi table saw and router, dewalt air compressor, otc alum jack and stands, cp CP7740 gun, and a bunch of other tools all in the last year...(just grad from college), now maybe you guys can help me select a nice jig saw...

ok i'm looking at a couple of jig saws and want your opinion on them...limit is $175ish shipped...

first of all: is a barrel grip jig saw REALLY all that much better then a top handle saw? like control wise and so fourth? if anyone's used both, please shine a light...

main candidates: Bosch vs. Milwaukee vs. Other?

* Bosch Barrel Grip (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1591EVSK-6-4-Barrel-Grip/dp/B00067J3WS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1195958581&sr=1-3)or Top Handle (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1590EVSK-6-4-Handle-Jigsaw/dp/B0001X21RG/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1_rdssss1): Both 6.4 amps, extremely high praises and ratings

* Milwaukee 6268-21 (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6268-21-6-5-Amp-Handle/dp/B000EQAY6K/ref=cm_lmf_tit_4_rdssss1) : 6.5 amps, 5 yr warranty, led light, alot of people seem to like the led light

* Other in this price range.

I'm kinda torn between the two...please advise anything you can...

jay strand
11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I have the old design Bosch top-handle and have really enjoyed it, but I can't wait for it to die!

I had a chance to use the new design Bosch and it's incredible. Push-button blade change and the new design has a device to better keep the blade perpendicular to the work.

It's a honey.

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 10:40 PM
[quote=Deuce Lee;702144]OT: Man i've been on a tool rampage lately, bought a hitachi table saw and router, dewalt air compressor, otc alum jack and stands, cp CP7740 gun, and a bunch of other tools all in the last year...(just grad from college), now maybe you guys can help me select a nice jig saw...

ok i'm looking at a couple of jig saws and want your opinion on them...limit is $175ish shipped...

first of all: is a barrel grip jig saw REALLY all that much better then a top handle saw? like control wise and so fourth? if anyone's used both, please shine a light...

main candidates: Bosch vs. Milwaukee vs. Other?

I'd get the 1587 Bosch , not the up grade/ large one 1590 they've made the grip to large and the VS trigger sucks on the new one. I like the top handle , I used a very old barrel grip Bocsh years ago and did not like that grip.

Mine is older , about 5 years , I looked at HD last week and see other than US manf -er's on the two models they had , mine was made in the USA so maybe another good tool is lost to outsourcing:mad:

I looked at the Festool but it does not appear to have a VS trigger , which on a jig saw is vital IMO.

Deuce Lee
11-24-2007, 10:42 PM
I have the old design Bosch top-handle and have really enjoyed it, but I can't wait for it to die!

I had a chance to use the new design Bosch and it's incredible. Push-button blade change and the new design has a device to better keep the blade perpendicular to the work.

It's a honey.

yeah i see that bro...there's over 130+ ratings on amazon for the two 6.4 amp bosch saws and it averages five stars...

if i go with bosch, i'm wondering just how nice is that barrel grip and does it make your life better or is it just different for the sake of being different...

that milwaukee is very tempting as well...very...

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
yeah i see that bro...there's over 130+ ratings on amazon for the two 6.4 amp bosch saws and it averages five stars...

if i go with bosch, i'm wondering just how nice is that barrel grip and does it make your life better or is it just different for the sake of being different...

that milwaukee is very tempting as well...very...

I think some one here on the forum posted about a sale on the Bocsh saw just this past week for under $90.00 IIRC. I'll see if I can find that post.

At that price I might buy a spare :eek:

Dave Falkenstein
11-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I think the choice of a barrel grip or a handle grip is a personal one. I like the barrel grip, but I know lots of folks that prefer the handle. Perhaps you should try then both before you decide, if possible.

The blade guide feature on the Bosch saws makes them hard to beat. With your $175 budget, I think Bosch is an excellent choice. Another $100 gets you into a Festool, which is what I use.

Deuce Lee
11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
thats cool, thanks for your inputs paul...i think i'm going to go visit hd or lowes or menards and get a personal feel for myself...should have though of that myself *duhhh*...

if u can get me that link, that'll be great paul...

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Dave does your Festool have a VS trigger?

Here's that thread on the saw,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68785

theres a couple of other Bosch barrel vs. top handle thread back in the teen pages . Seems a matter of choice was the theme.

Danny Thompson
11-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I've got the handle-grip Bosch 1590 and really love it. It cuts like butter. Never tried the barrell-grip.

glenn bradley
11-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Buy the Bosch and die happy. I went with the 1591 as I prefer a barrel grip but that is totally a 'preference per person'. The top handle has a VS trigger which my dad prefers but I do not. YMMV and all that. Other than the fact that the chip 'blower' is almost useless, I fall in love with the 1591 again, every time I use it.

Deuce Lee
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Buy the Bosch and die happy. I went with the 1591 as I prefer a barrel grip but that is totally a 'preference per person'. The top handle has a VS trigger which my dad prefers but I do not. YMMV and all that. Other than the fact that the chip 'blower' is almost useless, I fall in love with the 1591 again, every time I use it.

hey thanks glen...

it seems like it's going to be a complete toss up between the milwaukee and the bosch...with maybe the nod going to the bosch for the barrel grip and nod possibly going to milwaukee or a compete toss up for the top handle selection...

James Phillips
11-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Barrel Grip vs top handle = control vs comfort. The top handle (since it is smaller) is more comfortable, but the lower center of gravity and the fact that you are pushing lower gives the barrel grip more control. I would go with control. I have the Festool barrel grip FWIW

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Duese you cost me $104.00 bucks I pulled the trigger on another 1587VS just like the one I have:o I used a newer one one of the guys at work has the 1591 and it's POS compared to the 1587 VS , IMO.

I pretty much hate it when manf. keep tinkering with tools and the like and screw them up , I hope this new 1587VS is identical to my older one , it appears to be from the photo on the net. Hopefully MADE In THE USA will be on it as well.:)

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 11:40 PM
There is no better than the Porter Cable 548 bayonet jig saw period..

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 11:45 PM
There is no better than the Porter Cable 548 bayonet jig saw period..

Bull$hit ,,,cough , cough ,,,,,,,,,,, spudder,,,,,, spudder,,,,,,, :D :D Gotta disagree Chris , jessh it's not your day dude :D

Grant Vanbokklen
11-24-2007, 11:55 PM
I just got the Bosch 1590 and have a bit of time on it and it is good. But before that I've had a Bosch 1587 for just over a year. Still have it but it is trashed.

I looked into the new jig saws from Makita, the AVT Top Handle (4350FCT) and the AVT Barrel Grip (4351FCT). But the Price was too high. But I like the idea of the soft start which the Bosch does not have and the light which Bosch does not have either. And Makita has less vibration than Bosch. But availability since it is new and pricing. Makita needs to start dealing if they want to tap into the Bosch jig saw buyers.

But at the same time I bought the 1590 last month Amazon had the 1587 on sale for as low as $93 shipped one day. That would have been the deal on a tool that "could" last you many years if your not abusing it like which happens to my tools. At this point now that I've had both 1590 and 1587, I'd go with a 1587 for $93 or even a bit more shipped without question.

Chris Zenda
11-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Bull$hit ,,,cough , cough ,,,,,,,,,,, spudder,,,,,, spudder,,,,,,, :D :D Gotta disagree Chris , jessh it's not your day dude :D

Paul did you ever see a porter cable 548 bayonet saw?? Dude

Paul Girouard
11-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Paul did you ever see a porter cable 548 bayonet saw?? Dude

This one : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EWF0DTZWL._SS500_.jpg

All 3.5 amps that requires a allen wrench to change the blade ? With that skimpy metal base that doesn't appear to adjust. Ah :confused: surely you jest Chris :eek:.

Maybe not , who knows on the net. :confused:

More powerful stats ,

Product Features and Technical Details

Product Features

3.5 amp motor for efficient cutting
Worm gear driven for smooth cutting action and durability
7/16" orbital stroke ideal for thinner materials
Variable speed 0-4,500 strokes per minute--match the speed to the application
One Year Warranty/30 Day Performance Certification

Technical Details

Amps: 3-1/2
Watts: 400
Volts: 120
Stroke Length: 7/16 in.
Maximum cutting capacity at 90 degrees (wood): 2 in.
Maximum cutting capacity at 90 degrees (metal): 3/8 in.
No load speed: 0 to 4,500 spm
Bearing type: Ball bearing
Blade Type: Universal
Cord Length: 8 ft.
Cord Type: Two-prong, rubber
Handle type: Top handle
Base material: Cast aluminum
Type of blade(s) included: 6T, 10T, 14T wood bladed
Grade: Professional
Country of Manufacture: USA
Also included: N/A
Variable Speed: Yes
Adjustable Shoe: No
Scrolling: No
Keyless Blade Clamp: No
Blade Guide: Yes
Dust Blower: No
Orbital Action: Yes
Counter Balance Mechanism: No
Soft-grip handle: No
Trigger lock: No
Dust collection capability: No
Anti-Splintering Insert: Yes
Non-marring base insert: No
Externally accessible brushes: No
Onboard wrench: No
Rip Guide: No
Carrying case: No
Height: 6-3/4 in.
Length: 7-1/8 in.
Width: 3-5/8 in.
Weight: 6-1/2 lbs.
Shipping weight: 8 lbs.
Product Warranty: 30-day no-risk trial, 1-year
Service Warranty: None

Must be a hot runner Amazon is out of stock ,

Availability: Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Chris Zenda
11-25-2007, 12:19 AM
You've obviously never used one because its like comparing an Acura NSX to a Yugo. Maybey a moot point though It seems to be out of production.

Paul Girouard
11-25-2007, 12:45 AM
You've obviously never used one because its like comparing an Acura NSX to a Yugo. Maybey a moot point though It seems to be out of production.

Nope never used that exact jig saw but at 3.5 amps and with the style of blade it takes I know why it's no longer made . The Bosch took over the jigsaw world about 1980 or so and has ruled that little corner since. I've never used a Festool jig saw and think , don't know for sure if they are variable speed , the ones I've read the spec on are not , and in a jig saw IMO , that is very important.

I have used many brands of jigsaws in my 30 plus years as a carpenter / cabinetmaker / millworker , NONE has been even close to the Bosch line , De Walt, Skil , Sears , handyman brand, etc , none compare / preform like the Bosch does.

Was that PC made more as a hand held scroll saw? I just don't see by the spec's that it has the power or depth of cut to handle anything but thin like 1/2" and under stock . The blades that Bosch makes are the best the "t" lock style I don't unless the store is out of Bosch look at other brands of blades . YMMV on this tool but for me it's a non player due to all the things I mentioned.

Good luck , good night. See ya around the forum ;)

Gary Keedwell
11-25-2007, 12:51 AM
I've had my Bosch for 15 years and think it is a great jig saw.

Gary

Chris Zenda
11-25-2007, 1:13 AM
The saw hasn't changed since the 50's I believe and is a shame to see such a high quality tool gone only to be replaced by plastic inferior tools. These saws literally were built for a lifetime of use , although they were expensive I would pay $500 + for one if I hadn't already had one. As far as power is concerned these saws can cut through anything with 0 vibration phenominal balance and control beyond belief, They are very squatty thus have a low center of gravity. This saw really is for people who are passionate about tools and woodworking . The Amazon ad Paul referenced is a misprint as far as amperage is concerned they have 4 1/2 amp motors not 3 1/2.

Randal Stevenson
11-25-2007, 2:19 AM
When I was a new homeowner and first needed one, I had used my fathers Jigsaws (both Craftsman), then went out and bought a cheapy (one, LONG project). I probably still have it somewhere.:rolleyes: (don't want to find it)

I got some help from a friend with a project, then stuck around and watched him use a Bosch to cut apart a vehicle frame. We got into a long discussion about Jig saws and how he choses what he uses. His neighbor had a PC and junked it after trying one of his (then proceeded to buy the Bosch). Another friend, tried to get me to buy the Triton, which I know is also sold rebadged as a Craftsman (for what it is worth, Bosch's 1587 was also sold this way and closed out in 2006). The reviews were horrible (though you can switch handle styles). Some people like the Milwaukees too. There is a LOT of personal preference.
My decission was made for me, when I found a 1587 for $85 brand new.

As for the handle style, I took a survey on another site 72 people responded and 79.17% prefered the top handle style. I have found from talking to others, that both smaller handed people tended towards the barrel style, as well as those using it more in place of a scroll saw.

James Phillips
11-25-2007, 7:33 AM
Nope never used that exact jig saw but at 3.5 amps and with the style of blade it takes I know why it's no longer made . The Bosch took over the jigsaw world about 1980 or so and has ruled that little corner since. I've never used a Festool jig saw and think , don't know for sure if they are variable speed , the ones I've read the spec on are not , and in a jig saw IMO , that is very important.

Paul the Festool is Variable speed.

Deuce Lee
11-25-2007, 7:54 AM
hey thanks a lot guys...

yeah from the looks of it, bosch dominates the jig saw world...but players like makita and milwaukee are coming up with some nice tools to compete with some nice features...looks like i really got to go to the hardware store today...lol

Allen Bookout
11-25-2007, 8:59 AM
I have always used the top handle models but a I bought a Bosch 1591 because of all of the good reports. It is certainly a good saw but the barrel is a little large for me and the off/on switch is difficult for me to reach. Of the saws that you listed in the origional post I would get the Milwaukee 6268-21.

Phil Phelps
11-25-2007, 9:19 AM
...was told several years ago Bosh bought the Lesto company and manufactures it's jig saw after the great Lesto jig saw. The Lesto was at my shop thirty years before I came on board. When it was stolen in the 90's, I bought the Bosh barrel jig saw. I think you can do more accurate sawing with a barrel saw. I use it professionally and find it to be a great saw. Plenty of power and little vibration.

Fred Woodward
11-25-2007, 9:32 AM
I've had the older Bosch barrel grip since it first came out, still going strong and it has cut miles of wood, counter tops, just whatever needed to be cut at the moment. Not the first failure in the saw.
Bought one of the new models, also a barrel grip and it is also a very good saw, has an easier blade release and better blade guide. Both of these saws are really great.
I prefer the barrel grip for control and the fact that you can get it into tighter spaces than the top handle saw.
Than I saw a Festool demo :eek: The Festool is very nice too and the cut finish is great but the price is out of your range. Is the Festool better than the Bosch? I think only time can tell that. I do think the Festool blades are better than Bosch though.
FWIW, IMO I would opt for the Bosch (either the old or the new) and use Festool blades with it. I think those blades with the Bosch saw are a great combo.
Just my $.02 :D

Deuce Lee
11-29-2007, 7:41 AM
just as an update, i've been to lowes, hd, mendards, fleet farm, NO STINKIN BARREL GRIP!

so yeah, i'm a little disappointed...

right now i got my heart set on the new makita 4351FT (http://www.tools-plus.com/makita-4351fct.html)at tools plus for $163.50 shipped...

i donno, one small reason is to possibly be different from the norm...i also would like a led light...the reviews on amazon from the 4341 version seem promising as well...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/toolsplus_1973_8897198

Allen Bookout
11-29-2007, 9:20 AM
I don't know about their jigsaws but I have two different models of their miter saws and they are terrific.

Larry James
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Check http://www.toolseeker.com/Saws/JigSaw.htm for comparison.

Dave Falkenstein
11-29-2007, 2:08 PM
Dave does your Festool have a VS trigger? ...

Paul - Please excuse the delay in my reply. There is a speed control on the Festool jig saw, but not on the trigger. There is no trigger - it uses a switch. The speed control is a dial on the back of the saw.

ps - It is interesting that the variable speed feature is not mentioned in the product specs on the Festool web site. I emailed Festool about this oversight.

Randy Cohen
11-29-2007, 2:23 PM
i've got an old ryobi and calling it crap would be more than its worth. but i got it for free way back when i got the portable planer around when it first came out. so don't buy a ryobi.

Paul Girouard
11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Paul - Please excuse the delay in my reply. There is a speed control on the Festool jig saw, but not on the trigger. There is no trigger - it uses a switch. The speed control is a dial on the back of the saw.

ps - It is interesting that the variable speed feature is not mentioned in the product specs on the Festool web site. I emailed Festool about this oversight.

No problem Dave. Thanks for the PM this thread was on page two when I came hunting it.

They really , IMO, need a VS trigger. That was one reason years ago that my first Bosch got replaced , when they( Bosch) came out with a VS trigger. Festool should step up on that.

I may try some Festool blades in my Bosch saw , a few guys seem to like them. We'll see , it would be mail order as on one here on the island stocks Festool blades.

Jerry Olexa
11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Bosch...Outstanding jigsaw IMHO

Todd Jensen
11-30-2007, 12:16 AM
I have had both the barrel and handle'd Bosch and felt that both are equally maneuverable, just different. The Festool is a quality tool from what I've heard, but I've also heard its not $300 better than the Bosch. I tried a Dewalt after my last Bosch was stolen - huge mistake. I loved it for about a day and it was all downhill from there. I just bought another Bosch a few days ago and threw the Dewalt on the scrap tool heap in the garage, which is where I'm assuming the Milwaukee would end up. You want a 100% sure bet, get the Bosch and jigsaw happily ever after.

Brian Kent
11-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Bought one of these and I love it. I do not have a bandsaw and the scrollsaw is better for really thin stuff.

The refurbished is $125 at Amazon and other places.

I got the top handle after holding both, but never cut with the barrel grip.

Tim Sproul
11-30-2007, 1:26 AM

I don't think you ever got much of an answer and this is a bit moot but here is a significant difference, IME:

If you use a power jigsaw to cope moldings, you want a barrel grip. Much easier to maneuver through the coping cuts since most often, the jigsaw is upside down leaving you only the option of holding it by the barrel. A top handle has too much stuff in the way when holding the barrel.

If you only use the jigsaw for cuting shapes or really thick stuff, then either works fine, though I prefer the barrel grip. Having my hand closer to the work affords me better control....and you can vary that control by putting your hand closer to the blade for less control (larger, sweeping curves) or putting your hand towards the butt of the saw for more control (sharp turns and such). I found top handle saws don't give me as much room to move the hand forward and back.

I haven't used the Bosch and have a Festool. I find the switch to be much more ergonomic than the trigger...partly again because I can move my hand anywhere on the saw to control it and partly because my finger doesn't have to hold anything down, especially trying to hold the trigger at the right pull to get the speed I want. Another nice thing about the Festool is the very easily added zero clearance attachments to give you nearly chipout free cuts. These things are quite pricey given they're just a small bit of plastic....but they are well worth it when needed.

Bob Aquino
11-30-2007, 7:27 AM
I have a Metabo barrel handle and a bosch cordless that has the handle on top. Both are very nice saws, but I find myself constantly reaching for the bosch. Both use the t-shank blades, but the blade change on the bosch is painless, open the lever and the blade drops out and you slide the new one in. Cut quality on on both is phenominal, but the ease of use with the bosch cordless just makes it so easy to pick up and work with. I dont find a significant advantage to the barrel handle over the top, and I have used the bosch for quite a bit of coping on crown molding this last year. With some fine bosch blades, its the bees knees for that job.

It looks like the overwhelming response is for the Bosch saws, and there is a good reason why.

Paul Girouard
11-30-2007, 9:43 AM
I don't think you ever got much of an answer and this is a bit moot but here is a significant difference, IME:

If you use a power jigsaw to cope moldings, you want a barrel grip. Much easier to maneuver through the coping cuts since most often, the jigsaw is upside down leaving you only the option of holding it by the barrel. A top handle has too much stuff in the way when holding the barrel.

If you only use the jigsaw for cuting shapes or really thick stuff, then either works fine, though I prefer the barrel grip. Having my hand closer to the work affords me better control....and you can vary that control by putting your hand closer to the blade for less control (larger, sweeping curves) or putting your hand towards the butt of the saw for more control (sharp turns and such). I found top handle saws don't give me as much room to move the hand forward and back.

I haven't used the Bosch and have a Festool. I find the switch to be much more ergonomic than the trigger...partly again because I can move my hand anywhere on the saw to control it and partly because my finger doesn't have to hold anything down, especially trying to hold the trigger at the right pull to get the speed I want. Another nice thing about the Festool is the very easily added zero clearance attachments to give you nearly chipout free cuts. These things are quite pricey given they're just a small bit of plastic....but they are well worth it when needed.

I disagree, which ever saw he picks and gets used to, and all those things are do able, but again I would not cripple myself , again , (the first generation Bosch saw did not has VS triggers they had a switch ), I would hightly recommend a VS SWITCH saw with it was a barrel or top handle grip.

On another forum we beat this barrel vs top handle gig to death . It's a moot point, guys who have both swear by them , if you get without a VS switched saw you'll swear at it , IMO.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Nov12th4.jpg

Top handle VS switch Bosch cutting upside down ( produces a splinter free / no scratch / dent face cut)

Dave Falkenstein
11-30-2007, 9:44 AM
... I may try some Festool blades in my Bosch saw , a few guys seem to like them. We'll see , it would be mail order as on one here on the island stocks Festool blades.

Paul - I have used both Bosch and Festool blades for several years. I stick with Festool blades now. I think the Festool blades are excellent. I have not done a head-to-head comparison though. The pricing on the Festool blades seems reasonable to me. If you buy $150 worth, shipping is free, at least in the USA - smile!!!

Paul Girouard
11-30-2007, 9:47 AM
Paul - I have used both Bosch and Festool blades for several years. I stick with Festool blades now. I think the Festool blades are excellent. I have not done a head-to-head comparison though. The pricing on the Festool blades seems reasonable to me. If you buy $150 worth, shipping is free, at least in the USA - smile!!!

$150.00 worth of blades in ONE pop:eek::eek: Dave, I'm a carpenter / cabinetmaker not a retire lawyer/ woodworker living of a fixed income :D

Dave Falkenstein
11-30-2007, 9:48 AM
...The Festool is a quality tool from what I've heard, but I've also heard its not $300 better than the Bosch....

Where do these figures come from? Since the Festool saws sell for $280, the Bosch must be free with a $20 rebate!!!

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=3&prodid=561097