PDA

View Full Version : Wixey digital fence review (my own)

Jim Kountz
11-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Well I got my Wixey digital fence readout today and got it installed so I thought Id post a little review of what I think about it so far for others who are thinking about this thing.

Overall opinion:

First of all if you're thinking about buying one stop thinking and buy it already! This thing is great! Does exactly what its supposed to do the way its supposed to do it. No complaints there.

Manual/Instructions:

A little vague here and there, could have better detail pictures but theres enough information there to get the thing installed. It took me about an hour I guess from start to finish for installation.

Fit/Finish:

The actual gauge itself is made well it seems, easy to see and the buttons are laid out logically I think. I do wish the buttons themselves were a tad bigger or spaced out more. I keep hitting two at a time. The aluminum extrusions that mount to your fence were of good quality and required some light filing here and there to get the two in perfect alignment.

Supplied hardware:

HORRIBLE!! This is my only complaint with the entire system. They give you cheap metric junk screws to mount it with. They supply a drill bit in which you are to drill four holes then use the supplied "self tapping screws" to mount the track to your fence. I couldnt even begin to get these things to start to make a thread. I finally got out my tap and make a threaded hole for a 1/4-20 bolt and used my own. This was easier for me.

All in all I love it and can see myself using it everytime I use the saw. I think all new saws should have a similar system and can see a day when they do. If you want one you may be able to catch the sale it Woodcraft, I got mine for $99 they threw in a free angle gauge (which also works very well) and gave me free shipping. I just ordered it Thursday and got it this morning.

Very satisfied.:):)

Thomas Kila
11-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I was thinking about getting one of those gauges and your review will definitely help me with my decision.

Chris Parks
11-25-2007, 3:38 AM
Yep, everything Jim said to the T. I don't have to do test cuts now, measure digitally, cut digitally and it is right every time, saves time and money and material. The only issue I have with it is that the on/off switch and the zero switch are one in the same, only requiring a longer press to zero the instrument and then it needs a new setup, which does not take long but is a pain in the middle of a job. I have done the zero bit when not thinking and meaning to just turn it off. I have nothing but praise for this instrument, it makes life easy.

dennis wert
11-25-2007, 7:18 PM
Also have this and mounted on a Delta contractors saw. Easy install but lacking in directions. Also had problem with self tapping bolts. Actually broke one off but was able to remove with vice grips. Redrilled and tapped for 1/4-20 hex bolts. Sent Wixey a photo of my unifence and they responded with my photo with mounting bracket drawn in to show options for installing it. Very prompt response. I also have the angle gage and it is great-used it for all my tool setups.

When using power tools at no time should fingers leave the hands!!

Gary Muto
11-25-2007, 8:01 PM
I ordered one from Woodcraft on Friday AM and got it Saturday PM witrh free shipping. I hooked it up to a Delta Industrial saw with a Delta T2 fence. I agree that the instructions were lame, but it went together easily. no drilling required, I just used the fence tube screws. I calibrated it, but haven't really tried it out yet.

Chris Barnett
11-25-2007, 8:45 PM
Mine is now home and ready for Christmas wrapping paper; SWMBO says I must wait :D.

Jim Kountz
11-25-2007, 9:17 PM
Yeah mine tried to pull that trick on me too Chris. However mine is now installed! har har. Who da man? I da man! LOL

Eric McGill
11-25-2007, 9:22 PM
I have to agree with Jim, this thing is great, very easy to use. One thing I did find is that I loosed the screws in the back a little too much. If it wiggles on the track too much and pulls away from the strip a bit, it goes a bit crazy. One I tightened it up, it was fine.

Jim Kountz
11-25-2007, 9:28 PM
I just finished cutting some drawer parts and the Wixey made it so much easier. For example when I went to fit the backs on the drawers I just took my digital calipers and measured from the bottom dado to the top of the drawer side, then simply matched that reading to the Wixey and made the cuts. I cut the parts to all five drawers and never had to touch my measuring rule or a tape! Very cool indeed!

Doug Shepard
11-25-2007, 9:34 PM
Mine is now home and ready for Christmas wrapping paper; SWMBO says I must wait :D.

Man that's cruel. How's she expect you to get it installed in time and slice up the Christmas ham with digital precision?:D

Ordered mine the other night but it's probably not shipping until tomorrow.

Jim Kountz
11-25-2007, 9:46 PM
You guys need to put your foot down and tell her who the boss i........(WHACK).......................OUCH I just got slapped in the back of my head by LOML!! Im busted again.............LOL

Dave Lehnert
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Jim!

Thanks for the review. I have a Jet cabinet saw with the micro adjust fence. Would it be possible to use the Wixey on such a fence? Also does the track interfere with reaching the hand wheel on front of the saw?

Dan Barr
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
go ahead and install it. just wrap the box.

is she really going to know?

LOL

dan

Jim Kountz
11-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Jim!

Thanks for the review. I have a Jet cabinet saw with the micro adjust fence. Would it be possible to use the Wixey on such a fence? Also does the track interfere with reaching the hand wheel on front of the saw?

You can shoot an email to Mr Wixey via his website just to make sure but I think it can be adapted to just about any saw/fence combo.

The track doesnt interfere with any handwheels.

frank shic
11-26-2007, 12:28 AM
jim, i bought a digifence last year and i totally agree with you: it's the only way to go! the greatest part about the digital fence systems is that you can cut a piece to the same width EVERY time without worrying about being off by 1/32".

Brad Evans
11-26-2007, 12:40 AM
Hmmm...

I dunno. Don't think that's something I need. My Unifence is very accurate and just as important, repeatable. Have never had an issue working with wood where more precision and accuracy were needed...

The angle gauge is useful...

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 1:05 AM
Yeah thats what I said until I got one of these puppies. Changes your whole outlook on accuracy! I have used a unifence quite alot in the past and its a really nice fence system, this device just makes it that much better. Everytime I go in the shop now I think of another way to benefit from it. Its a domino effect! As far as repeatability you can probably get close enough using the cursor, but with this its dead on no question. More of a peace of mind thing going on.

Mark Gordon
11-26-2007, 9:43 AM
I cut the parts to all five drawers and never had to touch my measuring rule or a tape! Very cool indeed!

This is a disaster! We will be building an entire generation of woodworkers who no longer will know how to use a tape measure ( remember the sliderule, what's that?) In fact, the whole idea of measure and cut and then swear and measure and measure and Measure will be lost to the next generation.

Whoops, I have a text message coming in, LWAOROF, SYWWI, SY.

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 9:51 AM
Yeah thats what I said until I got one of these puppies. Changes your whole outlook on accuracy! I have used a unifence quite alot in the past and its a really nice fence system, this device just makes it that much better. Everytime I go in the shop now I think of another way to benefit from it. Its a domino effect! As far as repeatability you can probably get close enough using the cursor, but with this its dead on no question. More of a peace of mind thing going on.
Wow Jim, almost sounds like a machine shop. What I have been doing for a long time is make one rip pass on the saw...measure...then move fence using my plunge-type 2" indicator against the fence. Perfect every time. I like your method though...would save me one step. How much do one of those do-hickeys cost?
Gary

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the review, Jim. I've honestly considered one of these from time to time, but I use my rip fence so little anymore that it's almost not worth the cost. (only for very narrow rips at this point) That said, it's nice that there is an affordable option for this as I think that many folks make "easy errors" when reading their fence scales. Maybe real numbers will help with that.

frank shic
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
This is a disaster! We will be building an entire generation of woodworkers who no longer will know how to use a tape measure ( remember the sliderule, what's that?) In fact, the whole idea of measure and cut and then swear and measure and measure and Measure will be lost to the next generation.

good riddance! i used a hilti digital laser measure to measure a room for a neighbor a couple of weeks ago and there is no doubt in my mind that the laser measured far more accurately than that clumsy tape measure i dragged around previously. :)

Chris Barnett
11-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I just pulled out my Pickett [someone liked my Post better than I :mad:] but can't seem to make it measure distances between the fence and blade. Works well though to pry the back off my calculator to replace the batteries :D.

Jack Ganssle
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Slide rule? Heck, I sometimes still use a sextant to find position at sea!

(But generally get the time needed to do the calculations from the GPS).

Jack

Aaron Beaver
11-26-2007, 2:15 PM
You touch the fence to the teeth of the blade to zero out this thing?
Do you have to zero it out every time you turn it on or does it remember?

Thanks

frank shic
11-26-2007, 2:18 PM
aaron, you can just cut a SMALL scrap, measure it with digital calipers and then adjust the reading on the digital fence monitor.

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 2:19 PM
And they said the automobile would never last either! LOL To me its all about accuracy and progress without sacrificing quality. If we can do that then its a positive change for the better.

Hey Jim B, I would have thought that Cadillac of a table saw you have would already have something like this. Man Id love to have one of those saws in the future. Someday.
Wait a minute, I bet you have that thing set up for voice activation dont you!! LOL

Jim B.- "Saw, measure 4 5/8"
Saw- "Yes creator, as you wish"

LOL Just jabbin at ya there Jim!!
:D:D:D:D

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 2:21 PM
I would have been SOL this weekend in that case, Jim...given I had no voice. Just a "croak"...

Mike Marcade
11-26-2007, 2:25 PM
And they said the automobile would never last either! LOL To me its all about accuracy and progress without sacrificing quality. If we can do that then its a positive change for the better.

Hey Jim B, I would have thought that Cadillac of a table saw you have would already have something like this. Man Id love to have one of those saws in the future. Someday.
Wait a minute, I bet you have that thing set up for voice activation dont you!! LOL

Jim B.- "Saw, measure 4 5/8"
Saw- "Yes creator, as you wish"

LOL Just jabbin at ya there Jim!!
:D:D:D:D

Why stop at just mere measuring, how about the saw automatically do the cutting too? How about a fully automated, voice activated wood shop?

"Shop - commence making project, wake me when project complete" :D

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 2:26 PM
Hey Jim,
Taking just a minute here to hijack my own thread, whats the approx footprint of a saw like yours? I may start looking at these things more seriously in the very near future. I like the idea of the straight rip line to fix crooked boards.

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 2:27 PM
Why stop at just mere measuring, how about the saw automatically do the cutting too? How about a fully automated, voice activated wood shop?

"Shop - commence making project, wake me when project complete" :D

Now that would be just plain silly!! LOL

:D:D

Mike Marcade
11-26-2007, 2:30 PM
Now that would be just plain silly!! LOL

:D:D

I figured it was the next logical step after you went all "Star Trek" on us. :D

Jim Becker
11-26-2007, 2:39 PM
Hey Jim,
Taking just a minute here to hijack my own thread, whats the approx footprint of a saw like yours? I may start looking at these things more seriously in the very near future. I like the idea of the straight rip line to fix crooked boards.

Here's a graphic that will help. (in metric, obviously) The 8.5' slider like I have is the 2600mm limits. I'm considering removing much of the right-side table since I rarely use the rip fence and it would allow me to add just a little more working room while using the outrigger with sheet goods. You need 19' total front to back for the full motion of the wagon, but only when using the full stroke. Therefore, there can be some "movable" stuff ahead and behind the machine when you are not making long cuts with the wagon.

Jim Kountz
11-26-2007, 2:44 PM
I figured it was the next logical step after you went all "Star Trek" on us. :D

Ok I actually spit my coffee out when I read this. Thanks for the laugh!

Chris Parks
11-26-2007, 3:53 PM
aaron, you can just cut a SMALL scrap, measure it with digital calipers and then adjust the reading on the digital fence monitor.

I didn't know that, can you explain the method you use. The instructions are lousy to say the least. I cannot understand how any one can produce a tool so useful and not get the instructions into a usable and easily understood format. I have just had a look at the Wixey site and it does say touch the fence to the blade and zero which is what I do. This method is never spot on and you have to do a bit of mental mathematics to get it exact.

frank shic
11-26-2007, 4:07 PM
chris, it's REAL simple: take any piece of scrap wood or plywood or melamine that's lying around, set your rip fence for something around 1/8"-1/4" and rip a sliver then measure the width (NOT thickness) with a pair of digital calipers and then adjust the reading on the readout until it matches. the instructions for the digifence were fantastic and the manufacturer included almost all the tools needed to install it on your table saw fence as well as instructions for all the different models.

mike, they already have those! check out the CNC forum if you want to really leave it up to the machines... if i were running a business, there's no doubt in my mind which would produce better results!

Allen Boynton
11-26-2007, 4:12 PM
After reading all the posts, I took the plunge. now for the good news....Woodcraft has it on sale for $99.99 PLUS they throw in the digital angle gauge free. Along with free shipping. Hurry offer ends today.

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 5:23 PM
Does it have memory so when you turn it off you don't have to recalibrate? It must:confused:
Gary

Aaron Beaver
11-26-2007, 5:34 PM
it does say touch the fence to the blade and zero which is what I do. This method is never spot on and you have to do a bit of mental mathematics to get it exact.

Why is this method not spot on, not sure I understand. If you have the fence touch the teeth of the blade and then zero, wouldn't that be what you want?

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 5:41 PM
Why is this method not spot on, not sure I understand. If you have the fence touch the teeth of the blade and then zero, wouldn't that be what you want?
Aaron...my guess is that touching a tooth will get you close but there are too many variables.. Bottom line...you need to know where the edge of the KERF is... and touching a tooth won't do it. (blade wobble)
Gary

Eric Gustafson
11-26-2007, 5:53 PM
Aaron...my guess is that touching a tooth will get you close but there are too many variables.. Bottom line...you need to know where the edge of the KERF is... and touching a tooth won't do it. (blade wobble)
Gary

I have the Incra Fence and the same procedure is recommended in their manual for calibration. Using that method gets me within .003 to .005. Not bad.. To get closer I would have to dial it in. Although, I do not think it is neccessary. I only have a Craftsman contractor, so maybe the blade wobble is worse on my saw than a good cabinet saw.

Doug Shepard
11-26-2007, 6:05 PM

Cut once - measure twice. How cool is that?

frank shic
11-26-2007, 6:15 PM
doug, that's just for a ONE TIME calibration! ;)

Eric McGill
11-26-2007, 6:15 PM
Not sure if this was answered already, but yes it does have memory and you shouldn't have to zero it again after you turn it back on.

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 6:23 PM
Not sure if this was answered already, but yes it does have memory and you shouldn't have to zero it again after you turn it back on.
Thanks Eric....I guess I'm showing my age...years ago that was an issue but don't think it is now-a-days;)
Gary

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2007, 6:27 PM
After reading all the posts, I took the plunge. now for the good news....Woodcraft has it on sale for $99.99 PLUS they throw in the digital angle gauge free. Along with free shipping. Hurry offer ends today.
Went to the site....put it in my cart and at the last second...couldn't press the sale button. Ggeeeeee I was soooooo close!!!:eek:
Gary

Chris Parks
11-26-2007, 9:54 PM
chris, it's REAL simple: take any piece of scrap wood or plywood or melamine that's lying around, set your rip fence for something around 1/8"-1/4" and rip a sliver then measure the width (NOT thickness) with a pair of digital calipers and then adjust the reading on the readout until it matches. the instructions for the digifence were fantastic and the manufacturer included almost all the tools needed to install it on your table saw fence as well as instructions for all the different models.

mike, they already have those! check out the CNC forum if you want to really leave it up to the machines... if i were running a business, there's no doubt in my mind which would produce better results!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I have a Wixey not a digifence.

Jack Clay
11-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Is the track far enough back that it will be safe from being hit? I could not tell from the pictures.

Gary Muto
11-27-2007, 7:36 AM

My directions say nothing about how to adjust the reading on the read out. How do you dial in the read out to match your measurement from the calipers?:confused:

Aaron Beaver
11-27-2007, 7:39 AM
Gary

I can see that, but even then when you take your wood you cut to calibrate it next time you might press it harder or not as hard in between the fence and blade, meaning you could still be off that .003 or what ever, same as if you used the teeth of the blade.

Jim McDonald
11-27-2007, 7:52 AM
Y'all talked me into trying to order one this AM....guess the sale deal is over. It was still there yesterday $99.99 + angle gauge & free shipping. Oh well, maybe they will repeat it for Christmas.

Aaron Beaver
11-27-2007, 8:37 AM
Y'all talked me into trying to order one this AM....guess the sale deal is over. It was still there yesterday $99.99 + angle gauge & free shipping. Oh well, maybe they will repeat it for Christmas.

I heard the sale was supposed to come back on Dec 1st, someone said it was in a flyer they got.

Mike Marcade
11-27-2007, 8:47 AM
I ordered one yesterday afternoon. I'm sure I will find it under the tree in a few weeks. :D

Gary Muto
11-27-2007, 9:46 AM
The sale ($99 with Angle gauge) is back on December 1-31, 2007. I just got the flier last night.

Bart Leetch
11-27-2007, 9:58 AM
I have a 50" Shopfox (Biesmeyer knock off) on my 1940 right tilt Unisaw set up so I have 24 1/2" to the left for cutting bevels & the rest to the right. Is the Wixey set up so you can use it on both sides of the blade?

Gary Muto
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
The location of the sensor strip is very adjustable even after initial installation. Mine is set up approximately 12" left and 48" to the right. I mounted the readout on the right side of the fence. This morning I realized that I'll need to move the sensor to the left side if I want to use the magnetically attached rip fence micro-adjust. This will involve moving the sensor strip about 8" to the right in order to get full use of the strip length and it should be no problem.

Jim McDonald
11-27-2007, 10:25 AM
The sale ($99 with Angle gauge) is back on December 1-31, 2007. I just got the flier last night.

Called them this am....they are going to send me one honoring the offer that had expired...got free shipping too. Ordering my own Christmas present! And I won't have to wait to unwrap it!!!

Jim Kountz
11-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a 50" Shopfox (Biesmeyer knock off) on my 1940 right tilt Unisaw set up so I have 24 1/2" to the left for cutting bevels & the rest to the right. Is the Wixey set up so you can use it on both sides of the blade?

You can purchase extra lengths of the sensor strip (30") and go up to 90 or 99 inches overall, I cant remember which exactly. So you could start the strip at one end of your saw and go clear to the other end of you want to.

Martin Melderis
11-27-2007, 1:05 PM
[quote=dennis wert;702776]Sent Wixey a photo of my unifence and they responded with my photo with mounting bracket drawn in to show options for installing it.

Hey Dennis, would you be able to post the diagram/photo Wixey sent you for the benefit of other Unifence owners like myself?

John Hedges
11-27-2007, 4:13 PM
I am also not concerned about increasing my accuracy from using the fence. However, after recently changing from a right tilt saw to a left tilt, it bothers me to have to reset the cursor whenever I change blades to one of a different size. I see this gizmo as helping with that problem, as well as easily adjusting to a sacraficial fence. For that reason I most definitely see myself buying one of these in the very near future.

Mike Goetzke
11-27-2007, 5:23 PM
I almost bought one when they were $100 at HT. I have a cabinet under my right wing so don't have much space below my fence tube. Barry Wixey sent me this alternative mount - my be helpful to others (hard to read the text but I think the pic shows the reversed bracket well):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_wixey.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/wixey.jpg)

Steve Clardy
11-27-2007, 7:05 PM
I ordered the wixey from Woodcraft last night.

Anxiously awaiting the package.

I'm getting soooo tired of this plastic tape shrinking and expanding on my fence every time the temperature changes :(

Steve Clardy
12-07-2007, 9:17 PM
Its sweet ;)

Gene O. Carpenter
12-08-2007, 2:18 PM
Steve Clardy, I have the same saw, set up exactly as yours is and pleased that you posted the photo! Now I know what mine will look like when I get the Wix installed if I can get a complete order this time.
I on-lined my order from Woodcraft on 11/29 and it arrived in just that Blue box. I was surprised at that as every other Co. has always enclosed their item in their container and that was in a brown shipping box. The 1st thing that I noticed was it wasn't taped or sealed! The 2nd was there was no Electronics pkg! Just the sensor rails, hardware pkg and as noted in a few earlier posts lousy installation instructions.
I immediately phoned their CS and informed them of this "short order" and that it wasn't sealed. They said the box should have been sealed when it left their shipping dept. and they are shipping a replacement. Hope it arrives Mon. so I can get it installed, adjusted and hopefully ending my measure it "thrice" procedure!

Steve Clardy
12-08-2007, 2:41 PM
Steve Clardy, I have the same saw, set up exactly as yours is and pleased that you posted the photo! Now I know what mine will look like when I get the Wix installed if I can get a complete order this time.
I on-lined my order from Woodcraft on 11/29 and it arrived in just that Blue box. I was surprised at that as every other Co. has always enclosed their item in their container and that was in a brown shipping box. The 1st thing that I noticed was it wasn't taped or sealed! The 2nd was there was no Electronics pkg! Just the sensor rails, hardware pkg and as noted in a few earlier posts lousy installation instructions.
I immediately phoned their CS and informed them of this "short order" and that it wasn't sealed. They said the box should have been sealed when it left their shipping dept. and they are shipping a replacement. Hope it arrives Mon. so I can get it installed, adjusted and hopefully ending my measure it "thrice" procedure!

Lol.
They must of had quit a problem with those boxes.
It took two times for me to get a complete package.
1st had the digital gauges and brackets missing. Tape was just hanging.
2nd, All parts complete, but the tape was also just barely hanging on.

Woodcraft took care of it thankfully.
Kudo's to Woodcraft CS.

Shipping dept. needs their head thumped. :eek::D:D

Gene O. Carpenter
12-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Steve,
About 4;30 our Rotti wannabi went to the front door and did his usual GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when someones on the front walk, I opened the door and there laying on the stoop was another blue box. Picked it up and sure n you know what there was 1 6" piece of paper string tape on the end and it wasn't even adhered to the cardboard! Well I opened it and every thing s there BUT when I took the Inclin-o-meter:) out of it's cute little case/pocket/?:confused: the bezel is mashed in! :eek:Not enough to hurt it but enough to piss a man off!:mad:
Well I'll start installation tomorrow and Mon AM I'm gonna be back on the phone again.
They should pack that little thing laying on it's side! I wonder if any other Creeker found theirs dented also!

Steve Clardy
12-09-2007, 8:51 PM
Well thats a bummer.:eek:

Woodcraft needs to be double boxing them thingies

John Daake
12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm new to this forum, and the first time I opened it there was your thread on the Wixey fence readout. I had looked at this at Woodcraft 3 times over the previous couple of weeks (along with other things), debating on it even at the sale price. Then I find this unanimous string of endorsements on this thread --pushed me right over, and it is now in the process of installation. Just wanted you to know how useful this info was and what a great first impression of the forum.

Russell Tribby
12-13-2007, 6:54 PM
John, how long did installation take?

James Mudler
12-14-2007, 9:33 AM
I'm new to this forum, and the first time I opened it there was your thread on the Wixey fence readout. I had looked at this at Woodcraft 3 times over the previous couple of weeks (along with other things), debating on it even at the sale price. Then I find this unanimous string of endorsements on this thread --pushed me right over, and it is now in the process of installation. Just wanted you to know how useful this info was and what a great first impression of the forum.

John, same thing happened to me. Wifey wanted me to save it for Christmas. So I have some wood scraps in the box under the tree. :D

Steve Clardy
12-14-2007, 10:35 AM
John, same thing happened to me. Wifey wanted me to save it for Christmas. So I have some wood scraps in the box under the tree. :D

ROFL :D

Tricky tricky ;):D:D

John Newell
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth, I recently replaced a DW744 with a Bosch 4001 and added the digital readout kit (couldn't find a 4001 with the digi-fence already installed, but the difference was only about $10). Functionally, the Bosch digi readout appears to be essentially identical to the Wixey. I really like having this readout. It helps the 50-ish eyes, and it also helps with a lot of cutting tasks. One thing to remember is that you can get decimal inch and metric readouts, in addition to fractional inch readouts (for those cases when you really want, say, 17 1/2" as in 17.5" rather than having a rounded readout in fractions that could be a bit either side of 17.5"). Those of you with the Wixey under the tree are in for a treat. :D

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
For what it's worth, I recently replaced a DW744 with a Bosch 4001 and added the digital readout kit (couldn't find a 4001 with the digi-fence already installed, but the difference was only about $10). Functionally, the Bosch digi readout appears to be essentially identical to the Wixey. I really like having this readout. It helps the 50-ish eyes, and it also helps with a lot of cutting tasks. One thing to remember is that you can get decimal inch and metric readouts, in addition to fractional inch readouts (for those cases when you really want, say, 17 1/2" as in 17.5" rather than having a rounded readout in fractions that could be a bit either side of 17.5"). Those of you with the Wixey under the tree are in for a treat. :D
You guys are starting to get me excited about the fence read out. It hasn't been a problem since I just put my plunged-type indicator, with a magnet attatched on the back cover, against the fence and make my adjustment. But this read-out thingy would save me a few steps.:D
Gary

Mike Goetzke
12-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I found/needed a compact way to attach one to my Biese (because I have a cabinet drawer with little clearance to the fence tube):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1666_2.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1666_2.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1664_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1664_1.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1668_5.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1668_5.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1669_4.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1669_4.jpg)

Rob Wright
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I found/needed a compact way to attach one to my Biese (because I have a cabinet drawer with little clearance to the fence tube):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1666_2.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1666_2.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1664_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1664_1.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1668_5.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1668_5.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1669_4.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1669_4.jpg)

Mike - I saw that on another forum and that's what I plan do do with mine - now that I can't figure out for the life of me a good way to mount it to my MFT.

Question - did you drill through the extrusion and countersink a flathead screw to attach it to the rail?
If not - how did you tighten the connecting screws that are in the dovetailed track? Thanks

- Rob

Chris Parks
12-15-2007, 6:22 AM
I reckon drill a clearance hole for the driver and screw in the opposite face. Has anyone had issues with the tapes coming away from the backing extrusion? Mine has done this where the tapes join, I guess a bit of superglue will fix it.

Mike Goetzke
12-15-2007, 9:45 AM
Question - did you drill through the extrusion and countersink a flathead screw to attach it to the rail?
If not - how did you tighten the connecting screws that are in the dovetailed track? Thanks

- Rob

1) Yes, I drilled/c'sunk holes in the extrusion: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/th_IMG_1667_3.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Wixey/IMG_1667_3.jpg)

2) I cut the heads off of the dovetail bar fasteners and made set screws out of them. I would have just bought some set screws, but, damn metric! If I had to do it again I would have bought new longer metric bolts to make the set screws.

3) Another mod is you need to grind about 1/8" off of the flapper/clamping bar on the fence. Otherwise it will hit the extrusion. I had a spare bar so had no fear making this mod - it works great.

Mike

Jan Bianchi
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Probably you all know this, but it doesn't work with older fences. I have an old reconditioned Walker Turner Saw and fence--hence the need for the gauge. But there is simply no way attach it to the fence rail, even after making different brackets, and still be able to adjust the fence.

Ed Blough
12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I was wondering can the fence sensing strip have breaks in it? I have a Shopsmith that uses addon tables to increase the ripping width and I was wondering if digital fence would work if I mounted a section of the sensing strip on each table. I could make the union close enough so the one edge of the tape touches the other.
Thanks for any help
Ed

Ron Woop
01-09-2016, 2:32 PM
Hey.... are these reviews from this old thread for you guys still holding up?

Anyone using it for a Kapex/Mitre saw?

Thanks

Steve Clardy
01-09-2016, 5:46 PM
Still using mine.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2016, 5:51 PM
Clardy you old dog!!

glenn bradley
01-09-2016, 7:35 PM
Hey.... are these reviews from this old thread for you guys still holding up?

Anyone using it for a Kapex/Mitre saw?

Thanks

Tablesaw user here. Its lasted through two saws. I approach how I am going to do something counting on the DRO to be present. Wouldn't want to give it up.

Ben Rivel
01-09-2016, 8:19 PM
Wow old thread bump, but good to hear from people that have been running one of these for years. Been kicking around adding one to my SawStop PCS but was wondering how good of quality they actually were.

Marc Burt
01-09-2016, 9:10 PM
I've got to be on year 7 or 8 for mine as well. Still holding up, still accurate, still pleased.

I do wish the darned thing would turn itself off if you forget! I burn through a ton of batteries on account of leaving it on for long periods of time before I notice it.

I'm thinking of getting one for my planer...eyes aren't as young as they used to be!

Steve Clardy
01-09-2016, 9:14 PM
Clardy you old dog!!

Hey yer not getting any younger either. :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2016, 9:15 PM
It's good to see you posting again!

Steve Clardy
01-09-2016, 9:23 PM
Thanks!......

David T gray
01-09-2016, 10:45 PM
I've got to be on year 7 or 8 for mine as well. Still holding up, still accurate, still pleased.

I do wish the darned thing would turn itself off if you forget! I burn through a ton of batteries on account of leaving it on for long periods of time before I notice it.

I'm thinking of getting one for my planer...eyes aren't as young as they used to be!

http://www.igaging.com/page44.html they sell a power supply for these , also to calibrate it just plane any board to any width measure with some calipers then enter that number into the dro useing the preset and your done the display is also about 4x as big as the wixey

Jim Becker
01-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Thanks!......
Agreed. Nice to see you here, Steve.
-----

To the original topic, I still have my digital readout on the planer portion of my J/P combo, but the batteries have been run down for a long time and I keep forgetting it's there. :o

Steve Clardy
01-10-2016, 1:28 PM
I'll be back around some this year.
I'm retiring come my birthday. Yeehaw

Bruce Page
01-10-2016, 3:24 PM
Agreed. Nice to see you here, Steve.
-----

To the original topic, I still have my digital readout on the planer portion of my J/P combo, but the batteries have been run down for a long time and I keep forgetting it's there. :o

I finally got fed up with the oddball battery dying on my router lift digital readout so I bought an appropriately sized power supply from Radio Shack for ~ $15 and hardwired it in. It has paid for itself many times over and it's nice to know it'll be ready to go when I flip the switch.

glenn bradley
01-10-2016, 6:13 PM

If your Wixey is eating batteries there is something wrong with your choice of batteries or something wrong with the Wixey. I change batteries about twice a year. I do not buy batteries in bulk to "save money" because by the time I go to use them, they are not good enough to work/last as expected. I do run to the pharmacy and buy a nice new Duracell in the medical battery section. These last and last for me. I know the batteries are supposed to be good for 10 years or whatever but, empirical data proves otherwise. Battery Depot (and so forth) units have only worked for a month or two. Name brands do a little better but, this seems to be driven by the "use by" date. The "use by" date, should be 5 years or more in the future for lithium's; if not, move on ;-)

Leo Graywacz
01-10-2016, 6:31 PM

Whoops, I have a text message coming in, LWAOROF, SYWWI, SY.

I don't trust the Wixey because it has lost it's calibration. So I always set it by the tape and fine tune it by the gauge. No chance in losing my way with a tape measure.

Jim Becker
01-10-2016, 8:35 PM
I finally got fed up with the oddball battery dying on my router lift digital readout so I bought an appropriately sized power supply from Radio Shack for ~ $15 and hardwired it in. It has paid for itself many times over and it's nice to know it'll be ready to go when I flip the switch.

Now why didn't I think of that? LOL

I'll be back around some this year.
I'm retiring come my birthday. Yeehaw

Congratulations in advance on your coming retirement!!!