PDA

View Full Version : Any R/C'ers???

Terry Kelly
11-24-2007, 9:59 PM
Looking at gettin a RTR off road truck for my son for christmas. He's pretty tough on things, last one he got last year from Grandpa he ran it off a curb and snapped a wheel off. it was just a wally world one. I was thinkin of a Team Losi or Associated or HPI. One of those I figure can stand up to abuse. I'm leaning towards an electric for now and then maybe next time around a Nitro fueled one. Just looking to hear of anyones experiences. I'm looking to get one in the 1/10 scale.

Thanks for any insight....

Mark Rios
11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
I"m not really an RC fan. I prefer Dr. Pepper, Coke or Pepsi, diet of course. The regular versions are too sweet for me. However, I"ve never heard of an electric RC Cola before....Must be an East Coast thing.

Ray Dockrey
11-25-2007, 1:06 AM
I have had very good luck with Associated and Losi trucks and buggies. Be aware that this gets expensive really quick. I am not a real fan of the RTR's as you will have to work on it eventually and if you put it together you now how to fix it.

Just make sure you buy what your local hobby shop stocks parts for so you can easily get them. I would also suggest buying extra front and rear arms right off the bat so you have them as they are usually what breaks. They are very well made and hold up well but you will break parts.

Chuck Wintle
11-25-2007, 7:30 AM
Looking at gettin a RTR off road truck for my son for christmas. He's pretty tough on things, last one he got last year from Grandpa he ran it off a curb and snapped a wheel off. it was just a wally world one. I was thinkin of a Team Losi or Associated or HPI. One of those I figure can stand up to abuse. I'm leaning towards an electric for now and then maybe next time around a Nitro fueled one. Just looking to hear of anyones experiences. I'm looking to get one in the 1/10 scale.

Thanks for any insight....
My son has an HPI nitro fueled car and they are quite tough but they do break and parts can be expensive.

Mitchell Andrus
11-25-2007, 8:44 AM
My son has moved on but when 'we' were into r/c I found that being able to find replacement/upgrade parts locally was very important.

Pretend that the one you selected snapped a belt or drive shaft, needs a new servo or a set of tires. Is there a local shop or do the parts come from Korea via Italy as a special order? Go to the best stocked shop within one hour and shop there. Get to know them on a first name basis and they'll save your bacon over and over. You'll be amazed at the upgrade market.

Be prepared, as you've found, if you don't spend the $ up front, you'll spend the $ later just on repairs/parts. The models with more metal in the chassis/suspension will cost more, and less. Trust me on this. The first time you snap a part with a plastic do-hickey, you'll buy the metal do-hickey to replace it.

Electrics.... They go just as fast and NEVER fail to start. The speed controler and motor are everything. Be prepared to upgrade each unless furnished OOTB.

Mike Cutler
11-25-2007, 9:30 AM
PM Per Swenson.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67146

Jim Young
11-25-2007, 6:44 PM
Losi and Associated are both excellent companies with high quality equipment. Also look at Traxxis, they have three very good car/trucks ready to go (Rustler/Stampede). The above advice of looking at what your local store sells is excellent.