PDA

View Full Version : Circle Cutting Tool Advice?

David Beeler
11-24-2007, 8:32 PM
What would be a good tool to use to cut a "wheel" out of the center of a piect of 3/4 hardwood stock. Can't use band saw because I can't have a cut through the outside area. Can't have a large hole in the center of the "wheel" cut out so that eliminates the hole cutting bits. The circle size is too small to be able to use a circle cutting jig on a router. Jig saw or RotoZip are viable options. Are there other options I should consider? My old jig saw died so I am going to be getting something.

Suggestions and ideas greatly appreciated.
David

Doug Shepard
11-24-2007, 8:39 PM
If you've got a disc sander you can put a hole (not a through hole though) for a short pin and turn it against the disc. I've done some in the 2-1/2" - 3" range that way and it works well. My disc sander has a setup that locks into a miter slot perpendicular to the disc for circle size adjustment and various pin size adapters but you could rig up a scrap plywood mounting board with a fixed pin location pretty easily.

John Davidson
11-24-2007, 8:40 PM
Take a look at Jasper circle jigs. Don't know if it will do what you want.

Doug Shepard
11-24-2007, 8:44 PM
Oops. Just realized that's only half your problem and only going to help for the outer radius. So if you also have to make an inner radius cut too, why would a through hole for a circle cutter cause a problem?

ROY DICK
11-24-2007, 8:54 PM
What size wheel?

Roy

David Beeler
11-24-2007, 9:32 PM
The wheel size is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches diam. There is a hole in the center of the wheel drilled with a 1/8 bit and that is about as large as it can be.

David

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 9:46 PM
The wheel size is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches diam. There is a hole in the center of the wheel drilled with a 1/8 bit and that is about as large as it can be.

David

Why won't a hole saw work? If you want/ need no center hole drill out a block with a hole saw with the pilot bit installed then clamp the block over the bigger stock , remove the pilot bit and use the cut out "template" block to guide / keep the hole saw from skating when you start the "Finish" hole .

Use a cordless drill on the highest setting for ratcheting action to happen, one click below the drill setting.

Vernon Taylor
11-24-2007, 9:48 PM
What about getting the set of hole saws from HF(usually on sale for less than five bucks),make a hole in a piece of masonite to use as a template and then use your router with a guide bushing to route the wheel.

David Beeler
11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks Vernon and Paul. I hadn't thought about making a jig to use with the router guide bushing. Also I think there might be a possibility using the hole saw in my drill press without the drill bit in the center. I don't think it would skip too bad mounted in the press.

David

Paul Girouard
11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks Vernon and Paul. I hadn't thought about making a jig to use with the router guide bushing. Also I think there might be a possibility using the hole saw in my drill press without the drill bit in the center. I don't think it would skip too bad mounted in the press.

David

That's where the pre bored block comes into play , I hope I explained that clearly :o clamp that block over your other stock to help guide the bit till it's tracking.

Vernon Taylor
11-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Dave
Just thought of a problem using my suggestion the circle would not be secured when you make the final cut and might create a problom, I can not think of any way to clamp it that would not interfere with the router other than a slender wood screw in the middle which would create a hole.

glenn bradley
11-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Sounds like an easy job for a router with a guide collar; Use a circle cutter to cut the appropriate (over)sized hole in some 1/4" hardboard and use an 1/8" spiral bit and collar in your router to minimize waste.

Mike Cutler
11-25-2007, 9:27 AM
The circle size is too small to be able to use a circle cutting jig on a router.
David

Not true. The Microfence can be used to make circles this small with a router.

Of course this would require buying some new tools.;)
(Wink, wink,nudge,nudge. Know what I mean?:D)

Doug Shepard
11-25-2007, 9:58 AM
Not true. The Microfence can be used to make circles this small with a router.

Of course this would require buying some new tools.;)
(Wink, wink,nudge,nudge. Know what I mean?:D)

Ixnay on the IcrofenceMay. The smallest diameter it will do is in the 6" range somewhere depending on the bit size used. Would have used mine instead of the disc sander method if I could have.

Doug Shepard
11-25-2007, 10:26 AM
David
I'm still not clear whether you're trying to do a ring or a circle

...Can't use band saw because I can't have a cut through the outside area. That's the part that has me thinking you want a ring.

Can't have a large hole in the center of the "wheel" cut out so that eliminates the hole cutting bits.
That's the part that sounds like you want a solid circle.

I might have another suggestion along the lines of some PVC circle templates and flange rings I made when doing my DC ducting but it depends on what you're trying to make.

Mike Cutler
11-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Ixnay on the IcrofenceMay. The smallest diameter it will do is in the 6" range somewhere depending on the bit size used. Would have used mine instead of the disc sander method if I could have.

Doug

There is a circle jig for the Microfence. You may not have purchased it with yours.
Here are pics of the MicroFence set for a 3" diameter circle on a PC890 router. The circles can be made a lot smaller if required.
Still It's an expensive way to cut circles.;)

Ted Jay
11-25-2007, 11:18 AM
David
I'm still not clear whether you're trying to do a ring or a circle

I might have another suggestion along the lines of some PVC circle templates and flange rings I made when doing my DC ducting but it depends on what you're trying to make.

So it sounds he's wanting to cut a hole in a peice of wood but also wanting to use that round "wheel" for some other use?

David, If you decide to use a hole saw I would start the initial cut in reverse to eliminate any tear-out on the surface. (I cant remember the size of the pilot drill on most hole saws, since you say it can't be larger than 1/8".) I usually use the hole saw on the drill which has a reverse feature on it and start it that way until I have established a ring below the grain, on a slow speed.

Mike Seals
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
What would be a good tool to use to cut a "wheel" out of the center of a piect of 3/4 hardwood stock. Can't use band saw because I can't have a cut through the outside area. Can't have a large hole in the center of the "wheel" cut out so that eliminates the hole cutting bits. The circle size is too small to be able to use a circle cutting jig on a router. Jig saw or RotoZip are viable options. Are there other options I should consider? My old jig saw died so I am going to be getting something.

David

I use a Jasper Jig, been using it for a few years and it's work pretty good. I started a little site years ago and have never finished, this winter I'll add more and probably finish it. But I did start out with a little section on using the Jasper Jig.
http://www.kustommadesystems.com/jasperPG2.htm

I build custom made speakers as a side line and the site was going to be for promotion and DIY info, walking you through step buy step on what it takes to build a speaker.

Don't laugh too hard, I never said I was any good at web sites.

Doug Shepard
11-25-2007, 1:10 PM
Doug

There is a circle jig for the Microfence. You may not have purchased it with yours.
Here are pics of the MicroFence set for a 3" diameter circle on a PC890 router. The circles can be made a lot smaller if required.
Still It's an expensive way to cut circles.;)

I've got the circle jig and either yours is a model with newer specs than mine or maybe you're mixing radius with diameter? I checked their site and it still says 6-48 inches in diameter. (Longer guide shafts are available for diameters up to 12' - see Large Radii below).