PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1021 Planer *** HELP ***

Matt Schnurbusch
11-24-2007, 8:25 PM
Well, I was on CL this morning and came accross a posting for the subject planer. I've been wanting my first planer for some time now... Hopefully I didn't take it in the shorts. What would you pay for this beast: http://picasaweb.google.com/gabchoud/Grizzly1021

At first (and quick) glance it appeared to be in good condition for a twenty year old machine. Seller stated that it was his fathers, and hadn't been run in over a year.

What I noticed at the initial inspection; the power cord needs to be replaced due to dry rot. There is a small amount of surface rust (pretty much everywhere). Lastly and of most concern at initial inspection is the the gear box is/has been leaking oil at the drain plug (hoping for just a bad brass washer?).

So, I bought it... Untested!

Loaded the heavy S.O.B. on the trailer and took it back to the shop. As soon as I got it into the building and set down I noticed some grooving in the bed. I don't think it will affect the ability of the machine, but I was dissapointed in myself for not seeing it sooner.

So, here are the questions...

My first concern is to just plain clean it up... Guessing Simple green, WD-40? Then everything will need to be lubricated, I'll take suggestions there too.
Need to rewire the switch. I've never taken a switch like that apart before. Any precautions?
Building a better base for it is a must. This machine is a beast, and the "mobile base" that it is on just isn't going to cut it. I don't like it out of level. Any thoughts or suggestions here appreciated.
Any way to take care of the grooves in the bed?

Matt

Bernhard Lampert
11-25-2007, 9:37 AM
Matt,

I had to rebuild the same planer some years ago. My shop was flooded to the tune of 3.5 feet during hurricane Floyd and all machinery was under water for days.
I completely took the planer apart. To my surprise it was very easy: fit of the parts was pretty good, most connections did not have rust damage underneath the fasteneres. I washed of all parts (except the motor) with warm water and degreaser/cleaner followed by immediate drying. Any remaining rust/dirt was removed dry with synthetic steel wool and sandpaper followed by a final rinse in mineral spirits/naphtha. I do not like to use grease/oil on exposed areas for wood working (grease+saw dust = concrete), everything was coated with Dow 321 (dry film lubricant). The only part tha did get gear oil was the gear box. The bed was treated with topcote.
The only part that was complete shot were the knives, even the motor and switch worked fine after cleaning.
The planer is still running at a friend's shop.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Mike Spanbauer
11-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I own that machine today Matt, although mine is in pristine condition due to the previous owner never using it hardly. It's a solidly built unit which was made in Taiwan I believe from the higher quality foundry's that Griz employs.

You've grabbed the product manual I assume? There are not too many parts really, but you'll need to clean up and derust the ones that move and the surfaces that will contact wood. The scratches in the bed won't affect operation, but you will want to get them smooth. Just hit them with a bit of sandpaper or carefully use a mill file. If it were me, I would get a couple cans of WD-40 and some good scotchbrite pads and have at it. Once that is done, I'd T9 the surface to prevent additional rusting.

As to the wiring, it's pretty simple to replace the power cord, just make sure you note which color wires attach to which screws in the mag starter. Use tape and a sharpie here :)

Should be a decent user once you've cleaned it up.

mike

Matt Schnurbusch
11-25-2007, 1:14 PM
Thanks guys. I was going to start on it today, but the wife came down sick, so I'm home caring for her and the 7yo.

Given the pictures you see at the link above what do you suppose it's worth? I paid $325.

Mike Spanbauer
11-25-2007, 2:34 PM
Worth is relative. That's one you yourself will have to answer once you have it refurbed based on your time and energy.

I have to really, really want something to be willing to invest that kind of love into a machine. A Northfield, Oliver, etc... So, it's not worth much to me personally, but once you're done and have it up and running... the wood won't care that it was rusty or otherwise and will produce results in excess of a $325 machine :)

Mike