PDA

View Full Version : Some firewood finds

Andy Halterman
02-15-2004, 9:21 AM
Got this maple (silver maple, acer saccharinum) from a guy clearing for a new road on his property. I've been up there cutting up the hardwoods for burning. This tree, obviously, was saved for other puposes. The best part is that there is more of that tree still up there. I already shared some of this with another local turner. Bottom of the tree was about 14 inches.

Bowl is about 7 1/4 round and 3 1/8 tall. I'm still fairly new to this so I was just trying to see what this wood looks like. All I wanted was a basic shape. I think the hole in the side is kinda cool. Wall thickness is about 3/16 up top to about 1/4 near the bottom. Some minor tearout on the end grain that the old 100 grit gouge took care of. I sanded it to 320 and then slapped on a coat of wax. I personally think this is one of my best efforts to date but I've still got a bunch to learn. The last pic shows a splated birch bowl I turned back before christmas. That also came out of a firewood hunt from several years back.

Hope you like them and I'm always open to suggestions.

Andy Halterman

Groovin' on my firewood finds in Hendersonville, NC

Jim Becker
02-15-2004, 9:46 AM
Andy, very nice finds...and turnings. "Found wood" really makes for some extraordinary spinny work. And you can't beat the price.

I like the character of the bowl and the inclusions really make for additional interest.

Tyler Howell
02-15-2004, 9:53 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! Great Pic too. Nicely done.

Gord Graff
02-15-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi Andy,

Very nice find and very nice work. The only thing I've been able to find in my firewood pile is this thing that looks like my old work boot. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a beauty like yours.

All the best
Gord

Dave Smith
02-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Hey Andy, it is good to hear that you are still kicking. Nice maple bowl. I still have some small pieces of spalted birch I got at your place about 5 years ago. Are you still planning a trip to the NW this spring?

Dave Smith

Rain is cold so it is still winter in Longview, WA.