PDA

View Full Version : Router bit set deals...do they get sweeter?

Jim O'Dell
11-24-2007, 7:43 PM
Holbren and Infinity are both giving some special deals this weekend. I'm mostly interested in the Infinity Incra set. It is the 8 pc set compared to the 6 pc. set in the Holbren (Whiteside). I can piece together the same set in the Whiteside bits, except the 2 smaller dovetail bits would be 1/4" shank, where with the Infinity, all 8 would be 1/2" shank. Is this the best sale Infinity runs? To get anything extra, I'd have to buy some other item(s) to get over 125.00, but a plywood bit set might come in handy for daddos. Total for both would be $125.82. Regular price is 139.80. Not a hugh price difference, but if that's equal or more than they ever run them at, I probably need to order the sets. Thanks for any information you can share on what has happened in the past! Jim.

Rob Will
11-25-2007, 12:07 AM
bump. Hey Jim, this is a bit of a hijack but I'm looking for the best flush trim pattern bit for solid wood. Need the bearing on top. Any suggestions?
I want to cut things like 5/4 maple and oak.

Anybody seen a spiral bit with the bearing on top?

Rob

mike holden
11-25-2007, 7:15 AM
Jim,
The 30% off everything at Infinity is the best I have ever seen.

Just ask yourself though, do I want the two bits with half or quarter inch shanks?
The half inchers will not fit every where, so there are more limitations with them.

Either Whiteside or Infinity will do a good job, I would buy by price (and the aforementioned consideration)

Mike

Alister Orme
11-25-2007, 9:26 AM
Thanks for posting about the Infinity discount

I just ordered there Insert rail and style and raise panel cutters with all profile tips for 435.00 shipped.

My current set up costs $100.00 to change out the tips....this is a deal!!!!

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2007, 9:38 AM
I won't get enough to get more than the 10%. Would have to buy more than I was prepared for just to get to that level. :rolleyes: Wish I could spend the 500.00 for the 30% discount, lots of things there I could eventually use. I just wasn't going to order now, especially if they do something similar or better before Christmas.
Mike, I have decided to get all 1/2" shanks when I can. These will be used for doing dovetail joints on my Incra fence system. Thinking I might make some small jewelery boxes later on, so thinking the 1/4 and 5/16 inch bits would be useful there, and in the Infinity kit, they would only cost 10.00 more each over the Holbren price on the Whitesides at regular price. Thanks! Jim.

Rob, I'm just starting out with this stuff, so I'll let the others guide you there. I did get a Jesada top bearing straight bit for cutting the opening for my router lift. It seemed to be fine, and won't get much use. Got it at the Woodworking show 2 years ago. Seems like it was about 16.00. I think I'd make a list of the major players, and find prices from each. I'm guessing you'd want a cutting surface that's about 1 1/2" if you'll be doing 5/4 wood. but I don't know what diameter cutting head would be best for that.

Todd Hyman
11-25-2007, 1:06 PM
Holbren has a sale going on now until midnight tonight.

Holiday Sale!

No need to wait until Friday, our sale is effective immediately and runs through Sunday November 25th at midnight. Feel free to contact us for special orders as well.

Order $51-$100 save 15%
Order $101-200 save 20%
Order $201+ save 25%

Discounts will be automatically applied at checkout and based on pre-discounted cart totals. Free shipping still offered. Discounts cannot be combined with other offers and not valid on Byrd products.

See attached thread. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=34426