PDA

View Full Version : File help

Jeff Chumbley
11-24-2007, 6:22 PM
Can some one show me how to make this a single vector cut? I scanned it, traced it, and then cleaned it up a bit but just want one vector line.
TYIA
For some reason I cannot attach the file
Jeff Chumbley
Laser's Edge Engraving

Mike Mackenzie
11-24-2007, 6:29 PM
Jeff,

Are you wanting to raster engrave this or vector cut it with a single line?

Frank Corker
11-24-2007, 6:37 PM
Does this work for you?

Mike Mackenzie
11-24-2007, 6:46 PM
Jeff,

Here is one of each

Jeff Chumbley
11-24-2007, 7:04 PM
Frank. Thanks but I was looking for the jaggies in the spiral also.

Mike the vector file is exactly what I was looking for. What did you do to make it that way?

Jeff

Mike Mackenzie
11-24-2007, 7:08 PM
Jeff,

I just started from the center and deleted the inside line, I also found several breaks in the lines so I connected the nodes. Thats it glad it works for you.

Gary Hair
11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Why not just use the spiral tool? You have the option of number of spirals and logarithmic or symetrical and can resize to whatever you want. Or am I missing something?

Gary

Mike Mackenzie
11-26-2007, 1:00 PM
I was asked to explain how I did this file so I will attempt to explain.

Hi Mike - I saw the file you converted for Jeff and wondered if you would share with me, and the forum, the steps you take to do this with Corel X3. I just got the vector cutting option for my laser system and I'm playing around with how to create vector files. The spiral tree that Jeff was working on is from this months issue of Scrollsaw magazine and is a really nice Christmas decoration. I was trying to do the same file myself when I saw your posting. Hope you can help!
Thanks!
Luke

Luke,

The image was traced so basically you have an inside and an outside line.

If you look at Jeffs file you will see what I am talking about. What I did was go to the center of the spiral and using the SHAPE tool select the NODE that connected at that point. I then broke it apart (ctrl K). With that section broke apart I then started to delete the interior line using the same tool. I first change the color so I can see what I am deleting. You will notice that only sections will change color due to breaks in the vector lines. So I just delete until I get to the break then select both lines and combine and close the open NODE. Now you will notice the new section of the line change color just continue on until you come to the end of the spiral. at the end I needed to break apart another section and then connect it to a different section of the line. The result is one continuous vector line from the outside to the inside. It is a little time consuming but not that bad.

Luke Phillips
11-26-2007, 1:36 PM
Mike - many thanks for laying out the process. I tried some different approaches but none worked as well as the way you did it. Thanks, again!

Mike Null
11-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Gary
He wanted the jagged lines as well. I don't know how the spiral tool would do that.

Gary Hair
11-26-2007, 5:12 PM
Gary
He wanted the jagged lines as well. I don't know how the spiral tool would do that.

OK. I read that he wanted a single vector line and in my mind that meant a solid, straight line (curved actually...)

Gary

Jeff Chumbley
11-27-2007, 6:38 PM
To All,

This is a project out of the scrollsawer magazine. It is the body of a christmas tree. There are doves and cardinals that you also cut out and place on the spiral. The weight of the birds stretches the plywood out like the spiral trees that you put in your front yard for decorations.