PDA

View Full Version : Planer Question

Tim A. Mitchell
11-24-2007, 5:35 PM
I have been offered a NIB Craftsman 13 inch planer from a friend, for about $300. Current retail price is $430. I believe it is the 21743 model. It was an "Editors Choice" in American Woodworker, and seemed to review well in Wood Magazine.

Does any one have personal insight on this machine? Goods, bads, other thoughts, good deal?

Art Mann
11-24-2007, 6:49 PM
I have no experience with this particular model, but just about all the new lunchbox planers will do a good job if you go easy and use them as they are intended. I just looked up the model on the Sears website and it seems quite nice with all the right features. With no other information to go on, I would say go for it. That seems like a good deal if it is really brand new.

Jared Cuneo
11-24-2007, 8:30 PM
I'd take it over my cheapie delta w/no cutterhead lock :(

Man if I only knew when I set up shop....I'd have bought a planer with dust collection/cutterhead lock and an 8" jointer :)

JC

Ed Peters
11-25-2007, 7:18 AM
I have had one for almost 4 years now and it has had many hundreds of board feet of rough cut red oak passed through it without complaint. It was retired about 2 years ago when I got a 15" stationary unit but it still travels to the job site. The integral dust collection alone puts this unit head and shoulders above anything else portable.

Ed

Tim A. Mitchell
11-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know the dust collection helps. I do not have a central system for that.