PDA

View Full Version : Makita Miter Saw accessories

Jamie Smith
11-24-2007, 3:37 PM
I recently purchased the 10" makita SCMS, and I really love it.

In the manual, it shows a few accessories (clamp, right fence, and a "Dust Box". Does anyone know where I can buy any of these items? I am especially interested in more info on the dust box. I looked at makita's site, but they don't seem to have any accessories for the miter saws.

Thanks,

-jamie

Dave Sweeney
11-24-2007, 3:50 PM
Did you try to Google the Makita part numbers?

Jerry Allen
11-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Jamie,
Here's some of the parts (scroll down).
http://www.toolbarn.com/category/mitersawacc/

I can't find the Dust Box. It is not in my manual or other manuals that I've seen.
What's the part number?

Tool barn by the way has the 1013FL for $499 with 1 cent shipping.

I've had my 1013 for a few years and love it.

I've used a number of blades that were okay, but without a doubt, the Freud Sliding Miter saw blade is the best (LU91R010). No kickback and clean cuts.

I've replaced the stock zero clearance plates a couple of times. They are not cheap and I have since started making my own single piece plate from .25" birch ply. It works way better than the stock plastic pair. It is better at reducing tearout and stays nice and straight after a lot of use. You can make multiple plates for bevel cuts and blades just like you would for a table saw. Your first cut into the new plate is better than you could ever adjust and I think it helps with blade deflection.
I made a rear fence from 3/8 birch ply. It makes having the right fence extension unnecessary and make aligning cuts easier since I don't have the laser model.
There is a zero clearance part I have seen, but can't remember where, that bridges the back of the fence. I made one from wood, but would like to see the stock one.
You can make a horizontal vise from allthread, a nut and block of wood. I have a thread somewhere here with instructions. Search for "Makita horizontal vice".

Jim O'Dell
11-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Interesting post, as I'm saving pennies for the Makita. Hopefully right after Christmas (unless a very good sale happens before then. :D )I like everything about the Hitachi also, except for the size of the base.
And I've only heard good things about the Makita. Please post the part number for the dust box. Sounds very interesting. Maybe a scan of the page in your manual that talks about the accessories? Jim.