PDA

View Full Version : Delta X5 Joiner dust collection

Jay Yoder
11-24-2007, 1:44 PM
Happy belated Turkey day everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had dust collection issues with the Delta X5 6" joiner. Every time i use it, most of the chips come back out of the knife opening instead of of the dust collection chute. Not sure if there is something to check...hoping someone has had this issue and has a solution...even w/out a dust collector hooked out i would hope they would go down the chute...

Larry Fox
11-24-2007, 1:54 PM
WEll, I can't say for sure about your particular jointer but I have an 8" DJ-20 and have experineced the same issues at times. On mine, the "chute" gets jammed up sometimes and the chips build up intil they reach the cutterhead at which time they do what you say. I find the chip / dust removal chute on mine to be very sub-par as the top of the chute is open. The jointer stand is closed, but the top of the chute is open. I significantly improved the situation by fitting a piece of 1/4" plywood to close in the top. I sealed it up really tightly and it happens very infrequently now. My jointer is also at the end of a long run off the DC so it moves less air than I would like which also adds to the problem.

Ken Shoemaker
11-24-2007, 3:37 PM
Larry hit it on the head.. More times than I care to mention I forget to open the blast gate and the chips build up in the chute. When they come flying out, I am reminded that I need to SLOW DOWN and think before turning on these tools!!!! The fix is; open the pipe and drag out the chute, then back in business.... Ken

Jim Becker
11-24-2007, 4:33 PM
There was some talk a few years ago about this kind of problem...with the machine unplugged, take off the dust port and look up (and maybe use your hand, being very careful!) to see if there is any kind of obstruction at the top of the dust chute. There were a few machines with "something in the way" that shouldn't have been there...

Jeff Raymond
11-24-2007, 7:23 PM
I have a Delta 50-763. I use it upside down which is an option. It has crossbar chip-breakers on the DC side. If you run certain species of wood at certain speeds you get a 'paper shred' kind of a material which clogs the chip-breakers and wind up with a clogged system. At this point, the debate is, "Is it advisable to remove the chip-breakers and chance wrecking the impellers, or live with it."

BTW: I like to stick my hands in machines (when they are off). Never know what you might find in there. :D

Bob Cooper
11-24-2007, 7:55 PM
Larry:

I've got a DJ-20 as well and have had it backup at times. i'm having trouble visualizing where you put this 1/4" plywood

Gary Keedwell
11-24-2007, 8:21 PM
Happy belated Turkey day everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had dust collection issues with the Delta X5 6" joiner. Every time i use it, most of the chips come back out of the knife opening instead of of the dust collection chute. Not sure if there is something to check...hoping someone has had this issue and has a solution...even w/out a dust collector hooked out i would hope they would go down the chute...
I think that it is just the nature of the beast. Sometimes I think it is a waste of time hooking up my collector to it.
Gary

Rob Bodenschatz
11-24-2007, 8:46 PM
Yup, Jay, these guys are right. My X5 was spitting at me a few months ago & I couldn't figure out what was going on. Took the chute off & found a day's worth of dust/chips jammed up in there. Cleared it out & all was good.

Matt Day
11-24-2007, 8:49 PM
Exactly as the other guys have said; chips get jammed up top in the chute, lots of them.

When I had the X5 jointer and before I had a larger dust collector, I used a Craftsman shop vac for DC and it worked okay but not great. My Dad has the same jointer and his shop vac doesn't quite pull enough to do much. He's getting a better DC for X-mas;)

Larry Fox
11-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Larry:

I've got a DJ-20 as well and have had it backup at times. i'm having trouble visualizing where you put this 1/4" plywood

Bob, if you remove the front cover of the machine you will see the dust chute running from right to left decending away from the cutterhead. If you take your fingers (quite obviously while the machine is off and unplugged) and curl them over the top of the dust chute you will see that it has no top so it is more of a dust trough. I just cut a piece (two actually as one was tough to wiggle in) to cover it. I sealed it up with duct tape and that was it.

PM me if this is not clear and I will be happy to snap a pic or so and send to you.