PDA

View Full Version : New tool cabinet now relocated to den (pics)

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Just finished a rolling tool cabinet I had been working on for several months. Used some scrap cherry and old rollers lying around shop. Planned to use it to hold chisels and sandpaper, etc. Built totally of cherry (even drawers) except for hidden innards of poplar and ply. As I was finishing it, LOML spotted it and announced "that's too good for your shop!" (shows what she think of my shop). It now resides in our small den. I have pics of it under construction in shop and then its final resting place. Guess my sandpaper and chisels will have to wait a while. (sigh). Thanks.. You can easily see who's the boss of this house!:)

Roy Wall
11-24-2007, 12:37 PM
As I was finishing it, LOML spotted it and announced "that's too good for your shop!" (shows what she think of my shop).

She's right (of course)!! Nice work Jerry, love the graduated drawers....now get back out there and make another tool chest:D!

Joe Mioux
11-24-2007, 12:58 PM
That is the best compliment.

Jerry, the chest looks terrific.

joe

John Shuk
11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
That is a real beauty Jerry.

Carroll Courtney
11-24-2007, 1:01 PM
Joe,very nice.I think we all know who actually runs all the households here at SMC

David Duke
11-24-2007, 1:19 PM
Very nice Jerry!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic work and I think that I would have to agree with your wife, that piece deserves to be displayed!

glenn bradley
11-24-2007, 1:20 PM
That looks great Jerry and I have had that experience. A perfectly good shop cabinet built to hold shallow cans of finish now serves over the commode at LOML's house for TP and other bathroom stuff. Is there no justice in this world?

jim gossage
11-24-2007, 2:11 PM
beautiful piece. your shop cabinets are better than my woodworking.

Rick Thom
11-24-2007, 2:51 PM
Very nice Jerry.
If it's going to be relegated to the house, to my eye it could benefit from a nice set of bracket feet. That would dress it up a lot and not look out of place with the nice simple lines.

Jim Becker
11-24-2007, 2:51 PM
But where does she want the new purpleheart and maple workbench you're going to build...in the middle of the den or off to the side along the wall?? :D :D :D

Todd Jensen
11-24-2007, 4:42 PM
Agree on the feet idea, Rick...anything to distance it from that carpet color.:D

Beautiful chest of drawers, Jerry!

Ken Shoemaker
11-24-2007, 5:24 PM
Beautiful... Jerry how did you finish it.... I want to work with cherry and I WANT IT TO LOOK JUST LIKE THAT!!!!!

Steve Clardy
11-24-2007, 5:29 PM
Looks great Jerry.

Yep. Too good for those ol' chisels and such. ;)

Ted Jay
11-24-2007, 5:56 PM
She's right (of course)!! Nice work Jerry, love the graduated drawers....now get back out there and make another tool chest:D!

Ya better make two, but keep one out of site... she'll probably take one to have a matching set in the den...:D

Dave Anderson NH
11-24-2007, 6:16 PM
I feel for you Jerry. It was well done and would have been nice for the shop, but having been married more than 10 minutes I know how it goes. Periodically I have to listen to Sue grousing and grumbling about my 8 foot run of shop cabinets which she complains are better than those in her kitchen.

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2007, 8:26 PM
If it's going to be relegated to the house, to my eye it could benefit from a nice set of bracket feet. That would dress it up a lot and not look out of place with the nice simple lines.

Rick, I agree. As I was building it, I considered that but then I thought "Oh its only for the shop". I also left off moldings I would normally rout and add to dress the top and bottom. Didn't install any bottom base/trim board either. You're right but it was supposed to be "only for the shop"...Thanks

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2007, 8:42 PM
Thanks to all for your kind compliments... Most of you seem to also understand how most of us have a shop foreman (usually unseen) who shows up at critical decision points and alters our plans:) as happened here. But I'll renew her contract anyway.

But Ken, I'll try to answer your question...

Jerry how did you finish it.... I want to work with cherry and I WANT IT TO LOOK JUST LIKE THAT!!!!!

Ken,I sand to 220, clean and apply heavy coat of BLO. Let soak 30 mins and with rag, dry off excess. Then let it dry thoroughly (a week). Then, I brush on a coat of 2lb dewaxed garnet shellac followed by several padded on coats of shellac/DA mixture. This insures an even coat and allows you to control the sheen. Then it can be topcoated with your choice of varnish, etc if needed. On this piece I did not add another topcoat. HTH.

Don Bullock
11-24-2007, 9:22 PM
Jerry, that's a beautiful piece of furniture. Your craftsmanship is superb. It seems to me that "she" needs to spring for some wood for new shop furniture. I'm with Jim on this one. A new purpleheart and maple (tiger maple wood look fantastic) workbench sounds great to me.;):D

Jerry Olexa
11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I decided this morning, I'm going to have to now build another (more BASIC) tool cabinet for the shop..Have to intentionally make it look bad.:D..Usually easy for me.:)

Al Sherred
11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Well done Jerry , I would like to see the pics while in was being done.

glenn bradley
11-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Have to intentionally make it look bad.:D..Usually easy for me.:)

Now you're on to something. Maybe some 'outhouse' moon cutouts on the drawer fronts would help keep it in the shop :D.

Phil Thien
11-25-2007, 7:54 PM
Nice cabinet! Sounds to me like your wife is saying it is okay if you want to use the den as additional shop space.

Todd Burch
11-25-2007, 9:42 PM
Women.

Todd

Rob Will
11-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Nice cabinet! Sounds to me like your wife is saying it is okay if you want to use the den as additional shop space.

Go for it Jerry, LOL

Nice work!

Rob

Don Stanley
11-26-2007, 2:24 AM
... As I was finishing it, LOML spotted it and announced "that's too good for your shop!":)

Don't you just hate it when they do that! And I suppose that means you can't store your tools in it either! What a bummer! Guess you will just have to buy more tools to make another one :):):):):):):)

Good job Jerry!

-Don

Jerry Olexa
11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Well done Jerry , I would like to see the pics while in was being done.

Thank Al. Being that this was "for the shop" I didn't take any pics of the process underway. But it was the same basic construction I used in the nightstand here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38312
But I didn't do bracket feet or mouldings or base trim for the shop version. I used solid wood carcass, webframes for drawers with wooden center runners. Drawers were old 1/2 " cherry with through DT's done w the Keller jig. I used face frames and hid 4 old wheels under the frame for mobility. Used pocket screws a lot throughout. Just a box with drawers. Top was simply bullnosed. HTH. Thanks for your interest.

Karl Laustrup
11-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, it's good to see you are accomplishing some WW'ing Jerry. It is very nice and it should be in the house. Couldn't you still store your chisels etc., in those, drawers anyway? :D

That would look VERY nice in my house by the way.

I may have to take a trip down there and see what else you're hiding, before the LOYL sees it and claims it. ;):D I still have places for beautiful furniture.

Karl

Jerry Olexa
11-26-2007, 6:06 PM
I may have to take a trip down there and see what else you're hiding, before the LOYL sees it and claims it. ;):D I still have places for beautiful furniture.

Karl

Thanks, Karl. You are welcome here anytime (and bring that other cheesehead "Spring" with you) although I don't know if LOML would want to part with any furniture. (even if it is a tool cabinet) .For you, maybe. :) Hope all is well..

Michael Pfau
11-26-2007, 6:10 PM
Jerrry, I love it!! Never to nice for the shop!! I have a neighbor that reminds me how nice my tool cabinet is in the shop, says it needs to be in the bedroom instead!! Great looking cabinet!!