View Full Version : Bosch 4212L - Connecting rear dust port to a Shop Vac

Christopher Powell
11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I have the 4212L 12" miter saw and have a question about dust collection. I will not be using the dust bag but want to connect the suction tube (Parts Manual - Part # 2 610 919 280) to my Shop Vac. The smaller end of the suction tube (the end that does NOT connect to the body of the saw) has an outside diameter of 2", inside dia. of 1 13/16".

I need a flexible plastic connector hose (4-6" long with the ability to bend 30-45 degrees) that connects the end of the tube with a Shop Vac hose fitting that has 1 3/16" outside diameter. Have any users been able to connect to a shop vac (any brand) or have you been able to find a good supply house that makes many different plastic hose adapters?

Thanks in advance, Chris

Chuck Burns
11-25-2007, 1:46 AM
I've got a 5212. It came with an adaptor from the Bosch dust bag fitting to 1 1/4. I picked up a std 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 (or is it 2 1/2) at Lowes that hooks up to my shop vac. It helps somewhat; though it is better than the bag. I love the saw but it makes a mess. I need to build a big funnel type collector to mount behind it that I can connect my DC too.

I wonder if it would be better to connecdt with a 4 or 5 inch fitting.

As to your problem - it may not be pretty but I once bought one of those long skinny funnels that are 1/2 at the bottom and 4 inch at the top and get out what I needed and duct taped evrything together. It actually worked fairly well.

glenn bradley
11-25-2007, 2:06 AM
Your local vacuum repair shop will carry a surprising number of adapters when you get into this range. I have also had success with odd pieces of hose and even thickwall cardboard tubing. Just keep an eye out. It may take a while but I'll bet you'll come across something that is just the ticket. Film canisters, pill bottles, etc. are an untapped source of 'just the thing' types of items.

John Grossi
11-25-2007, 6:40 AM
Getting the proper fitting adapters is a real pain. I've got an rt-1000 router table with a dust port fitting of 3.52 o.d. My Delta dust collector has a 4" i.d. flexible hose. I went to Woodcraft figuring on picking up an adapter. I was told the 3.52 is an odd size. He fixed me up, but I have about 12" sticking out of my router table and it is held in by duct tape and a clamp. Is there a source out there that can make this process of buying the correct fittings any easier? Home Depot told me they used to sell a dust collector and had a seperate box you could buy with various fittings to cover most of these issues. Frustrating! John

frank shic
11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
christopher, do you realize that the dust port will not collect that much of the dust even if you manage to hook it up to a shop vac? dust collection on a miter saw is pretty difficult without a larger dust shroud surrounding the entire saw.